awning pros and cons

crosbiei

Hi

Want to buy an awning for our Swift Mondial and from my research there are 3 basic styles and I was wondering if you all could give me th ebenefit of your experience.

The wind out permanently Fiamma style ones look hassle free and the other style is basically a tent that attaches to the motorhome and can be left onsite if you drive away.

any views on which is better and why

thanks in advance

Iain

Firstly, think about why you want an awning.

Eg; is it because you want extra living space or storage space? With a drive away awning (like a frame tent you can attach to the side of your van) you are able to leave items stored inside and therefore dry. Also it is on your pitch when you are off-site so your pitch is marked.

Our first van was an auto-Sleepers Trident on a VW T4 van. We thought that we would need a drive away awning for the 2 reasons I mentioned above. We found within a year or two that we had not used it for extra living space so it really was only used as a 'storage shed'.

It took up quite an amount of space to transport and had to be transported on the floor of the van. Also taking down such a structure when it is wet or if it is actually raining is not good ( losing some of the freedom of motorhoming and reminiscent of when we actually camped in a tent.) You may wish to consider these 2 points.

For storage of chairs and fairly small items we don't want to take off site on a day out we started to use a small inexpensive 1/2 person tent which is quiick and easy to erect/dismantle and store in the van.

Initially we couldn't see the point of a wind out awning. After all if we wanted shade we could always sit round the other side of the van. It was when we were pitched next to an identical van which had a wind out awning on a hot but wet afternoon that we saw an advantage. We had to have our sliding door shut (and the van was getting increasingly muggy) whilst our neighbours had their door open as the awning was out. Soon after that we had a Fiamma wind out awning fitted.

Likewise when we bought our next and current van (an Auto- Sleepers Symbol ES) we had a similar awning fitted. We have owned the new van for 15 months and never used the awning!

We are aware that some people use a wind out awning and add side panels and front panel to create a 'safari room' if they are on a site for a length of time.

If you decide to get a wind out awning may I suggest 2 tips:

1- Make sure a rain guard is fitted above it if appropriate. You don't want water dripping between the awning and the side of the van. (I'm not sure whether such an awning would fit to the side of your van or on the top edge.)

2 - Do not use in wind and DO NOT LEAVE OUT OVERNIGHT IF IT IS LIKELY TO BE WINDY OR TO RAIN HEAVILY. We had a near escape one night when we had left it out and it rained heavily. The legs moved because of water which ahad collected even though we had angled the awning with one end higher than the other and the awning collapsed into itself. We got up whem we heard a noise and fortunately there was no damage. We have heard of people having their awnings damaged or ever ripped from the side of their vans because of wind.

Hi Iain and welcome to the forum.

I echo the things Mel Wood has covered. We have had a drive away awning in the past and they can be, without doubt, very useful - but they do have drawbacks.

Now we just have a roll out awning on our van conversion which is great for shade in the sunshine and for an impromptu roof when it is wet. Never had the sides and front as these are expensive, large, heavy and have to dried before storing.

Instead, when we need mose of an awning (say at a show or somewhere we are not using the van off site) we often put a windbreak around one side and the front making an enclosure much like an awning but with big open windows.

Good luck with the choice.

David

hi,

If you try the search widget / thingy/ whatsit (found in the top row where a box this page says Welcome crosbeie )

Enter awning or porch and search over last years entries there is a wealth of information about types, errecting and fixing to a Mhome.

Happy reading

Rgds

We have both a 'roll out' canopy (fiamma) and a 'drive away' awning (Harrison High Top )!!

If we are just touring and stopping off for a few nights at a time we don't carry the 'Drive away' and just use the 'roll out' (wind permitting!)

However if we have booked a location for a week or so and intend to make that our base for the duration of our holiday then I normally erect the 'Drive away'. Most of our holidays are spent in the UK so the 'Drive Away' is very useful if the weather is c**p !( It usually is! )

I would add also that we have a dog and the 'Drive Away' is a godsend when trying to dry off a wet and muddy dog!

I think like others have stated, you choose according to your own needs.

What is a solution for one is not necessarily a solution for another!

crosbiei - 2010-01-30 1:58 PM

Hi

Want to buy an awning for our Swift Mondial and from my research there are 3 basic styles and I was wondering if you all could give me th ebenefit of your experience.

The wind out permanently Fiamma style ones look hassle free and the other style is basically a tent that attaches to the motorhome and can be left onsite if you drive away.

any views on which is better and why

thanks in advance

Iain

A: Attached wind-out awnings (either wind-out or roll-out - the roll):

On the whole though these are the most commonly used awnings.

Advantage: wind-out ones are ready to use and don't take up storage space, they can be used as sun shades or light rain shelters; roll-out ones need to be slotted on before use but are cheaper than the wind-out ones.

Some can also have 'safari' room enclosures fitted, ie sides and front, to turn them into full awnings.

Disadvantage: Neither can safely be used in windy/breezy weather due to the possibility of them turning into giant kites (both during the day and night - it's surprising how little wind it takes) unless you secure them very well and even then it can be risky. If fitted with a 'safari' room enclosure, it means that it is not easy to go off site in the van as you first have to dismantle everything and stow it away safely. Also the sides need to be stowed in the van when travelling.

B: Free-standing awnings:

There are mainly a couple of types of these: the 'canvas/cotton' type heavy-duty ones with metal poles, and the lighter 'polyester/nylon' etc type of material usually with lighter weight poles.

Advantage: Gives the benefit of a place to sit out and/or store items and can be 'attached' to the 'van through a 'tunnel' of material to avoid getting wet going from the van to the awning and vice-versa; they mark your 'pitch' when you go out.

Disadvantage: The 'canvas/cotton' type ones can be heavy, especially when wet and a pain to put away and store, and they must be dried out as soon as possible to avoid staining, rotting etc; the poles that come with them tend to be heavy and long. The polyester/nylon ones are lighter and also smaller when taken down, but still need to be stored somewhere although they are more forgiving if put away wet.

C: Storage awning/tent:

Advantages: Generally made of lightweight polyester/nylon type material. Ideal if you just want somewhere to put your bits and pieces out of the 'van on site. Depending on your needs you can get a simple beach tent for less than £10 (ideal for chairs, BBQ, even folding bikes) to a kitchen tent so that you can use it to cook in (good in hot weather or if doing smelly stuff!). Some of the larger kitchen type tents can be used as awnings for sitting out in too. They don't take up a lot of storage space and tend to be made of polyester/nylon material so light and easy to put up and take down.

Disadvantages: Not a lot really so long as you choose the right size for your needs, will need to be stored in the van when not in use.

D: Gazebo type awnings:

Advantages: Can be cheaper to buy and easier to erect and usually made of lightish weight materials.

Disadvantages: These are really meant for gardens, although some people do use them on campsites etc, they aren't generally as strong or stable as other types of awnings ... I have seen some 'fly' and by heck do they go, usually terminally bending the poles etc in the process!!!

Overall, I would only consider B, C or D if you have suitable storage (and payload) ensuring you can put them out of the way in your van so that it isn't a problem if you have it with you and don't want to put it up ... cause it's piggling down outside!

I have an omnistore roll-out fitted "free" as part of the deal I believe this type is worth looking at for a panel van. Only comment I would make is they are expensive unless you are sure you are going to use them, they are sun shades principally OK to keep the rain off but cannot be left out in windy conditions including as often found around "med". Give it some thought before parting with the money!

I've just realised I missed out one type of awning in my post above ...

Attachable awnings

These are basically like the awnings you see on caravans which are attached to the side. They come it various types, but the main two are canvas (qutie expensive) with metal poles, or lightweight polyester/nylone ones (much cheaper) with fibreglass/lightweight poles.

Advantages: As with the freestanding ones above they give you a place to sit out and store stuff.

Disadvantages: They can't be 'left' on the pitch if you decide to go out in the van, as you have to totally dismantle them and store them, so are only any good if you intend to leave the van in situ for a few days.

The canvas type have similar properties to the freestanding canvas types, in that they can be heavy, especially the poles, and need drying out. They are also not the easiest things to put up and really need 2 to do it.

The polyester/nylon type are much, much lighter and come in a variety of shapes and sizes, they are generally easier to put up, even on your own (one you've got the knack of how to thread the poles into place!). If you do find you need to take them down in a hurry, it is easier to do, and they are much more forgiving (don't need drying out).

I'll make it brief.

Having owned most types of awnings over many years, I now do without.

I've found them useful mainly for making other people more wealthy, and of little or no real use to me. A triumph of marketing over reality.

Others will most certaintly disagree.

:-D

mel wood - 2010-02-07 2:47 PM

Randonneur - 2010-02-07 8:54 AM

Mel B, you forgot the 'Drive Away Awnings', these can be left in situ whilst you go out in the van.

Surely that was the type referred to in Section B (wasn't it?)

I do apologise, will have to have my eyes checked.

We have a roll out canopy but wanted something which gave us a bit more space when on a site for a week or two.  When we changed our motor home last year we managed to get an awning which fitted our requirements and just looks like a caravan awning with all the space!

We now have a PAK awning in the design of KASTLE and it fits onto the FIAMMA bar if you have one but not needed if you don't have one and then opens out like an ordinary awning. We now have double the space of the motorhome and have storage for wet washing, table and chairs and can close it down at the back if we want to leave it on site and go out in our vechicle!

The cost was under £400. Able to send photos if required.

awning2.jpg.d8d7f1aaac11fdf3d2d4123963fa64d6.jpg

As above, it will largely depend on where, and how, you use your van.  Where, because Britain is a surprisingly windy place, and that limits the usefulness of wind outs compared to mainland Europe, where we have, and leave, ours out 90% of the time.  They will comfortably withstand torrential rain provided they are sharply angled, and one corner is sharply lower than the other, so that no build-up can arise.

If you tend to stay put longer than a few days - we generally don't - then erecting a tent next to your van, whether it is called a tent, a gazebo, or an awning, may be worth the effort. 

Personally, I don't rate the Safari Room type bolt-ons for wind outs, too much fiddle to erect and take down.  A drive away or free standing is much easier when you need to dump the grey water, fill the fresh water tank, or get to the shops etc.

IMO, for the best solution if extra space and mobility, coupled with ease of erection, some privacy and good wind resistance is what you want, it would be well worth looking at the Khyam utility tents range here: http://tinyurl.com/yfkafcg.  They aren't too heavy or bulky either, but the usual problems will exist when taking down, and transporting, wet.

I like the 'concept' of some of the suggestions like say the Movelite XL.

However when I see the pulicity pictures of them I cant help but wonder how much pitch space you actually need when on site.

They seem to need an awful lot of area to peg out the guy ropes , or is it just the way the pictures portray them.?

RogP - 2010-02-15 10:33 AM

I like the 'concept' of some of the suggestions like say the Movelite XL.

However when I see the pulicity pictures of them I cant help but wonder how much pitch space you actually need when on site.

They seem to need an awful lot of area to peg out the guy ropes , or is it just the way the pictures portray them.?

The photo I posted is of my Cousin's van/awning and he had plenty of space to peg where he wanted, he is the belt and braces type, but you don't need as much space as he had.

We are 2 people in a spacious M/H. We only require to use the wind out blind on limited occasions, for shade when its hot and to minimise rain entering the door when its wet.

Mostly its only out just enough to do the job. Always wound in if we are out of sight of it for any length of time and certainly at night. If windy its never out at all. I've seen many blown over the roof!

machinehead - 2010-02-07 12:47 AM

I'll make it brief.

Having owned most types of awnings over many years, I now do without.

I've found them useful mainly for making other people more wealthy, and of little or no real use to me. A triumph of marketing over reality.

Others will most certaintly disagree.

:-D

I agree entierly.

Because the earth moves around the sun, "wind out" awnings don't even provide much more shade than your van does.

Also, as someone mentioned, the weight penalty is considerable.

Save your money and retain the vehicles stability.

Archived