Which Club to join?

LORNA

Not being a member of either the CC or CCC, was wondering what, if any, the differences are between the 2 organisations? Not a fan of large sites or entertainment complexes, we are looking for green space, reasonable quiet and good deals. Also would like to be flexible so don't want to commit to pre-booking days at a time , or any pre-booking at all if that can be avoided. Trouble is we have to travel mainly in the school holidays!!! We are interested in UK touring and maybe France this year. Any advice appreciated and thanks in anticipation.

Which club has been the topic of many discussions on every motorhome forum. Opinions vary and you will not get a consensus view of which club to join. If you do a search you will probably find the various discussions and the different perspectives of the forum members.

One thing people all tend to agree on is to try both clubs - some sites admit non members - and see which suits you best. Each club has slightly different offers to members so it depends which float your boat the most.

I've been in the Caravan Club for 20 years without any problems and plenty of enjoyable memories. They run an internet booking service which gets varying comments - I like it. Unsure what the C&CC do. I like the CCs motorhome insurance scheme, the sites, the certified locations (5 van sites), and the technical services. Their foreign travel service has been fine when I've used it.

If you are into rallying, don't ignore the Motor Caravanners Club.

Good idea to try some clubs sites out first. CCC allow this on many sites, not sure about CC.

In school holidays you may need to book. CCC require a deposit but CC do not. Unfortunately this means that some CC members book two or three sites ( mainly weekends) and then decide on the day where to go. This means CC sites appear to be full when they are not.

Both clubs have small 5 van sites ( Cl's and CS's), with few, or no, facilities.

(But cross the channel as soon as you can - much more camping friendly countries over there !)

;-)

LORNA - 2010-01-30 10:07 PM

Not being a member of either the CC or CCC, was wondering what, if any, the differences are between the 2 organisations? Not a fan of large sites or entertainment complexes, we are looking for green space, reasonable quiet and good deals. Also would like to be flexible so don't want to commit to pre-booking days at a time , or any pre-booking at all if that can be avoided. Trouble is we have to travel mainly in the school holidays!!! We are interested in UK touring and maybe France this year. Any advice appreciated and thanks in anticipation.

Hi Lorna,

Go onto the thread called 'Not having to book at campsites'. There are some useful points about both of the major clubs that you should find interesting.

Personally, Jan and I have been in the CCC for 17 years as we started with a tent. 7 years ago (as motorhomers) we also joined the CC. We find advantages (and disadvantages) in each and feel that it is worth being in both.

malc d - 2010-01-30 10:32 PM

Good idea to try some clubs sites out first. CCC allow this on many sites, not sure about CC.

In school holidays you may need to book. CCC require a deposit but CC do not. Unfortunately this means that some CC members book two or three sites ( mainly weekends) and then decide on the day where to go. This means CC sites appear to be full when they are not.

Not sure if that's accurate, Malc.

If I'm booking a succession of sites when I'm touring and manage to get the dates to overlap by mistake, the Caravan Club online booking service rejects the booking.

Not been a member of CC but been a member of CCC for around 10 years now.

We have to have school holidays too and find with the CCC we just go through their monthly catalogue and look out for all the rallies and holiday meets they have and work our way through those.

You don't have to book for 99% of them, they are often child friendly with activities organised for the children or near to activities that children would enjoy.

They work out around £7 a night on average, some a little more some less, not often with electric and can be in places you would never imagine camping but we love that side of it as do the children.

They have what they call district associations where volunteers organise and marshal the rally , you just pay on your way in usually then that's it you are left to choose if you want to join in the activities if there are any or just do your own thing. People often get the wrong ideas of these things and think you will be frowned upon for not participating but often we go to them for visiting relatives or a particular country house or interest we have seen.

Good luck with it, nice to get insight from others.

Mandy

The third choice might be The Motorcaravan Owners Club. They have no formal large sites, but have discounts with some comercial sites for members. They also have a small number of very reasonable CL type sites. They are starting up a "Safenights" system at the moment in conjunction with Practical Motorhome Magazine, where members, with space, allow you to stay overnight on their property for one night, ideal when you are traveliing to somewhere.

We've actually joined all three clubs as it gives us the greatest choice of sites and options. We have used their insurance and ferry booking services and have had some good stop overs at all the sites we've chosen.

Unfortunately this means that some CC members book two or three sites ( mainly weekends) and then decide on the day where to go. This means CC sites appear to be full when they are not.(End quote)

The Caravan Club booking service now rejects multiple bookings where the dates overlap from the same member.

Also they are now monitoring no shows ontheir sites.

Like Tomo, we are in all three, I think if you are doing most of your motorhomeing in the UK it is worth doing this and seeing which suits your needs, although if most of your touring is abroad then probably not worth it. I would say if I was only in one the CCC is the one we use the most. Carol.

J9withdogs - 2010-01-30 11:16 PM

Not sure if that's accurate, Malc.

If I'm booking a succession of sites when I'm touring and manage to get the dates to overlap by mistake, the Caravan Club online booking service rejects the booking.

I stand corrected - (these must be recent improvements ?)

I see that JohnP says that the CC are now also "monitoring no shows" so it looks as if the club is finally getting its' act together on bookings.

When I turn up on CCC sites ( I never book anything except ferries ) I find that we are often seen as some sort of irritation, but usually find a pitch.

Sadly, touring the UK 'at will' seems to be a dying pastime.

:-(

Hi Lorna

You do not say what make of motorhome you have. Have you considered joining a club for your make of motorhome, if one exists, or MCC (Motor Caravanners Club) They have club rallies. Usually at weekends, not on commercial sires and throughout the UK.

Thanks for this great advice and it seems the consensus is try all then decide if one is more frequently used so I will do this. We will be an Autosleeper owner soon! Very excited and looking forward to browsing sites and planning trips. Do we have to get going quickly on booking a ferry crossing if it is in the school hols (we can travel mid-week but would be taking a dog so this may complicate things)? Again, many thanks for the sensible ideas and povs given!

Hi Lorna,

I couldn't make my mind up 30 years ago, so joined both clubs, no regrets, good and poor bits in both, love using cl's cs's for peace and quiet (unless someone uses a Genny all day) use the big sites in the winter months and have discounted RAC cover with the ccc.

never book in advance (except once for the Edinburgh tattoo) some of the more popular sea side sites are full during the summer holidays (but plenty of cl's/cs's around the popular sites.

Pete

Hi Lorna,

In mainland Europe, we usually make use of Aires etc, I f one is full, there usually another one nearby.

With cl's & cs's it pays to phone on the day, we usually return to the van after looking around a town in the day, get the book out, sort the cl's we prefer ( hard standing & electric hook up in the winter months) most convenient (near beach etc) in the summer months, and phone round, never really had a problem, even large club sites in popular areas have cancellations (phone around noon)

but don't get to hung up on finding sites, when desperate find a quiet lay by or car park, ask at a country pub, if you buy a meal and the car parks biggish, it's unlikely you will be refused.

Pete

We belong to both and both have sites we like but we prefer the Caravan Club, they are tidier and more professional and dont require a deposit for bookings. Although the CC have lots and lots of rules if you are a normal person with common sense who respects others then they will never come into play. A big advantage for us on CC sites is that you can select your own pitch, the C&CC dictate where you can pitch and if you don't like it they get awkward. We have noticed that since the C&CC took over Forest Holidays the charges on all their sites have gone up considerably and they have cut back on small improvements to their site network. Charges four nights at Scarborough CC main season £80.80, four nights at Scarborough C&CC £102.80. The difference will pay half your subscription. We have also found that if you have problem and need to contact Head Office the CC are very customer focused but the C&CC are arrogant and very much take it or leave it. We also find that most CC (not all) sites have better facilities for motorhomes than C&CC sites.

I have found benefits in being a member of both. Er indoors is not bothered. I like to plan er indoors prefers to be spontaneous. So there you have it two people, two different views.

Ask yourself the question, in the past have I booked a hotel in advance or just turned up somewhere on spec? Might tell you what sort of person you are.*-)

LORNA - 2010-01-31 10:47 AM

Thanks for this great advice and it seems the consensus is try all then decide if one is more frequently used so I will do this. We will be an Autosleeper owner soon! Very excited and looking forward to browsing sites and planning trips. Do we have to get going quickly on booking a ferry crossing if it is in the school hols (we can travel mid-week but would be taking a dog so this may complicate things)? Again, many thanks for the sensible ideas and povs given!

Lorna, to addres your other query above:

Channel crossing - both ferry and Eurotunnel crossings are cheaper if you book well in advance. The ferry takes about 90-120 mins whereas the tunnel is around 45 mins allowing for waiting time whilst they load up everyone. On the ferry you have to leave the dog on it's own in the motorhome, whereas for the Tunnel you stay in the motorhome with your dog - much nicer and less stressful all round.

Ferry - These are cheaper as a general rule and you just pay by credit or debit card for the whole lot. The dog's fare will cost you between £15 and £30 depending on how you 'work' the ferries as some only charge one way (France to UK). To get the reduced 'dog' cost though you'll have to book outward and return ferries with different carriers - I did this last year and saved a quite a bit and it's not difficult to do as, when looking on line, they give the cost of each leg separately (leg as in journey ... not each of the dog's legs! (LOL) ).

Eurotunnel - If you have lots of Tesco Clubcard vouchers you can exchange these for Eurotunnel 'deals' and get 4 times their face value, so say a Eurotunnel return trip costs £124 return (current cheapest prices) but it would only be £30 in Tesco vouchers plus £4 'cash' (you can only convert multiples of £2.50 in vouchers to Eurotunnel 'deals' so £120 is the most economic way to do it) which is cheaper than the cheapest ferry croossing and is better than spending them in the store (you still have to pay £30 for the dog by credit/debit card though as unfortunately you can't pay for dogs with vouchers).

I assume you have already started the Pet Passport process - it takes at least 7 months from start to finish.

8-)

Porky - 2010-01-31 2:20 PM

I have found benefits in being a member of both. Er indoors is not bothered. I like to plan er indoors prefers to be spontaneous. So there you have it two people, two different views.

Ask yourself the question, in the past have I booked a hotel in advance or just turned up somewhere on spec? Might tell you what sort of person you are.*-)

But if you turn up at a campsite you bring your own room with you.

Not so with a hotel.

;-)

Thanks again - lots ot consider but all very appealing to a newbie!

mel B - yes we have got the dog sorted with Pet Passport and now just needs us to get ours renewed! Like the idea of being with the dog on the Chunnel but found previously with a car they are very fussy about return times/days. Can you get 'open' tickets on the Chunnel or ferries or are the penalties reasonable enought to take risks?

LORNA - 2010-01-31 10:47 AM

Hi Lorna,

Regarding trying sites of both major clubs: they both charge an EXTRA £7 PER NIGHT for non-members. Five nights as a non-member would be about the cost of joining either club. Not all CC sites accept non-members. As a member you do get a monthly magazine as well as info about and access to all club sites and the smaller certificated sites/locations. CCC membership also gives discounts at Forest Holiday Sites. (details are on CCC website)

Not wanting to be insensitive but with the CCC if either member is 55 years old or over there is an individual discount in low and mid seasons (and in high season on a few sites.)

We also book our continental insurance with the Camping and Caravanning Club's Carefree Travel Service. Both clubs claim to have negotiated cheaper ferry crossings than are available to the general public but you would need to do some price comparisons to confirm this. (Out of high season we have found booking Sea France crossings independently is cheaper.)

Archived