CC & CCC abroad

magbrin

Following "which club to join" thread with interest. Was about to post something similar! We will be travelling abroad for the first time (with the van) in the autumn and as we are not too keen on large sites etc. plan to use Aires in France and Spain, France Passion in France, and possibly sites using ASCI in Spain. Any advice on these would be welcome.

We have, we think, reasonable insurance, generally we do not use UK sites, we gather information from websites, forums, magazines etc. Ferries we have not cracked yet - our first port of call will be Cherbourg, however we travel, as we will be visiting friends there - and we do not shop in Tesco. However we are unlikely to book too far in advance (I know it is wise to but circumstances are such that things could change radically in the next 6+ months).

I know there has been much debate, and I have read other threads on the subject, but, before we go the the Scottish show at the end of the week, can anyone give me any good reason why we really should join either of the clubs? (In other words am I missing something?)

If you are unlikely to use their facilities and services I suppose you have answered your own question! I have been a member of the CC for getting on for 30 years but I do use their campsites and I use their insurance so get value from the relatively small annual membership fee. Now I speak as a caravanner and things may be different for motorhomers. I like using Red Pennant when I go abroad as I think it gives pretty cover and it also gets good reports from those that have had to make use of it. However if you feel you have a similar level of cover from elsewhere there is no advantage in membership.

David

Hi magbrin

We've been touring on the continent, on and off, for about thirty odd years, mostly with a tent, but for the last seven in a motorhome.

We've always been insured through Camping and Caravanning Club.

Until about four years ago we, fortunately, never 'needed' the insurance.

Then we had a serious fuel leak in the van, in Spain. We managed to get to a site and phoned the club insurance ( on a Sunday morning).

They checked that we were 'safe' as they could do nothing until Monday morning ( unless we were desparate !)

So we had to sit in the sun with cold beer and wait.

Monday morning, 9 a.m., they phoned me and said that a tow truck was on its' way. Within ten minutes it turned up, put our van on the back, and took us off to a Fiat agent.

The club kept in constant touch with us, and conducted all the explanations with the workshop in Spanish, where no-one spoke English.

The van was fixed up ( with a slight hickup - sorted by the club) and we were on our way.

So our experience of insuring through the CC&C club has been very positive, and I find it very re-assuring to have that kind of help available if needed.

When visiting the continent we don't book anything except ferries, but we do go outside school holidays.

Wherever you get to, have a good trip !

magbrin - 2010-01-31 10:20 AM

We have, we think, reasonable insurance, generally we do not use UK sites, we gather information from websites, forums, magazines etc. Ferries we have not cracked yet - our first port of call will be Cherbourg, however we travel, as we will be visiting friends there - and we do not shop in Tesco. However we are unlikely to book too far in advance (I know it is wise to but circumstances are such that things could change radically in the next 6+ months).

I know there has been much debate, and I have read other threads on the subject, but, before we go the the Scottish show at the end of the week, can anyone give me any good reason why we really should join either of the clubs? (In other words am I missing something?)

Hi magbrin,

From what you have said you have pretty well got it all sorted without joining the big clubs.

We joined the C&CC last year (when we first bought our motorhome) because being new to it all, we thought that was the thing to do and we got a small reduction on our insurance which justified the expense.

Throughout the year we used no facilities as we too mostly travel abroad and our membership really just meant a monthly magazine which, in my opinion, isn't up to much for motorhomers. This year when we renewed our insurance with a different company we didn't need to be a member to get the best premium so we won't be renewing with the C&CC.

I've found loads of useful information on forums and other internet motorhome club sites so I think you're on the right track already :-D

If you want to enjoy foreigh sites then use those tha have no connection with the UK clubs. Reason - To enjoy the FOREIGN sites and to pay FOREIGN prices. Why go abroad only to find the site full of brits and UK lifestyle and pay inflated UK prices?

C.

Clive - 2010-01-31 1:32 PM

If you want to enjoy foreigh sites then use those tha have no connection with the UK clubs. Reason - To enjoy the FOREIGN sites and to pay FOREIGN prices. Why go abroad only to find the site full of brits and UK lifestyle and pay inflated UK prices?

C.

B-) Perhaps for the SUN?

Considering when you intend travelling, you may gain some advantage from Club membership (have used C&CC for this, not CC) through members' discounts on the ferries.  Prices go up sharply through July/August, and often into September, and this is the period when the discounts give best advantage, though allocated space is limited so availability is not guaranteed.

Booking early can secure discounts, but not so often for peak periods, especially weekends.  Best rates seem to be for afternoon outward and morning inward journeys Tuesdays to Thursdays inc.

Whether it would actually be worth joining a club for the ferry discount I have no idea, but you can get the Camping Carnet International from the C&CC for about £5, which often brings a 5/10% discount, especially on French Municipals, because it has an attached element of public liability insurance.  Also, they will often keep this at reception in lieu of your passport, so it is at worst cost neutral, and is useful to boot.

Anywhere near the coast in France in July, up until around mid-August, will be very busy and the sites costs will be up too.  Best idea for getting a pitch is to arrive fairly soon after 14:00, with at least a couple of sites in reserve in case the first is fully booked.  Some will try to twist your arm to stay for at least a week in high season, and will especially do this if you want to book.  However, by arriving early in the day, and by being flexible about when you will leave, or being prepared to move to a different pitch mid-stay if necessary, I don't think you will find you are turned away on more than a handful of occasions.  After all, even one night on an otherwise vacant pitch secures them some added income!

I've just booked our Dover/Calais crossing thru the C&CC and got a return for a 6m+ for £47. The cheapest I could get by booking independently, with a discount code, was £85. Not a huge saving but every little helps and in effect this paid for the membership. I'm sure they could get you a deal on a Cherbourg crossing. The above fare is fully amendable should our plans change. Also thru the club we have Arrivals breakdown cover, which gives cover for bigger, heavier vans than other breakdown insurance companies do. Membership also gives you access to certificated sites so on balance I reckon it's worthwhile being a member.

ike

Hi Magbrin

Notice you are in Inverness - thats a long way from Channel ports (we are in Perth so 2 hours closer). I appreciate that it looks like you are going to France/Spain but we use DFDS Ferries from Newcastle to Ijmuiden (Amsterdam) and book through CC or C&CC. (Lot cheaper than Rosyth to Zeebrugge)

Try an online quote for DFDS crossing (opt for outside cabin as Inside tend occasionally to house school groups!). Then deduct cost of short/long crossing to France, additional diesel, and extra overnight site fees. Yes it will be more expensive but also deduct the wear and tear on your body!

Arthur

PS I have no connection with DFDS!! :-)

Guest Tracker

generally we do not use UK sites

Is that because, like us, you dislike sites or because you don't holiday in the UK?

Either way the CCC and the MCC have a good network of low cost casual - well usually - camping alternatives in the shape of weekend meets and temporary holiday sites.

In general basic facilities only and no booking normally needed - just turn up if the weather and location suit you.

Run by members for members most of them are very friendly bashes - but if it ain't your scene fair enough!

We are members of the C&CC, we have been members for the pasted 9 years or so, and have used the club sites twice, but we have used the fabulous network of weekend sites and holiday sites for our getaways, you will find further detail of these in the Outandabout section of the magazine. When planning a holiday we look for a site in the area in mid August you can find them for 6+ per unit per night.

We have used them for the ferry crossings and belong to the RAC Arrival scheme which is a special for the C&CC. Which was very good when we broke down in France.

They do run continental rally's throught out the year, if you want to get a taste of an area then a couple of nights on one of these and then striking out on your own is better than perhaps taking pot luck.

Have fun.

Keep reading 'Which club to join' as posts are continually being added. Then really it is entirely up to you. For many of us the many benefits of either or both clubs far outweigh any irritations with systems or individuals.

Thanks for the further posts.

It seems to be swings and roundabouts, but I think I have discovered that we are not specifically missing anything.

We are off to the Scottish Show and will talk to both...................and may let one (CCC?) or other, but probably not both, persude us to join and we will give it a go, as suggested. Then we will see..................

Archived