Wheelchair info

Petra

Does anyone know if it is possible to carry a wheelchair on a bike rack? We think it should be OK because the wheelchair folds and the wheels should fit into the channels for bike wheels. I am sure that someone out there must have tried it. It would save having to dismantle it and taking up space in van.

Guest Tracker

I've seen it done many times and it seems to work.

Any doubts just check the wheelchair weight with the vans manufacturer to ensure the rear end of the van is up to it but I would imagine that a wheelchair weighs no more than two hefty bikes!

Hi Petra

I did just this with our previous Bessacarr E410 for a self propelledWheelchair. (My wife's wheelchair only weighed 13kg so ample capacity on the Fiamma Bike Rack) If yours is an electric wheelchair, the battery pack could be stored in the M/H.

You will need the Fiamma (or equiv) 2 Bike Rack, but will need to adjust the position of the channels width wise. The straps that come with the Bike Rack will fit the wheelchair large wheels and I used "bungie cords" to secure the front wheels. I also used a wheelchair cover to keep the road dirt off and a long cycle lockcord to keep the cover taught and for security. (see http://www.motorhomeshop.co.uk/shop/1_Fiamma/43_Fiamma-cable-Lock-2.5-metre.aspx )

Petra - 2010-02-01 4:45 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to carry a wheelchair on a bike rack? We think it should be OK because the wheelchair folds and the wheels should fit into the channels for bike wheels. I am sure that someone out there must have tried it. It would save having to dismantle it and taking up space in van.

Petra we do .........we have a four bike Fiamma rack her wheelchair is quite heavy as it goes we have no probs and its plain to see that its very secure we wrap it up against the weather we have also carried it on the roof with her walker as well.

Petra - 2010-02-02 5:37 PM

Thanks for all the advice. We are going ahead and ordering a Fiamma rack, the wheelchair only weighs 16 kilos, so well within the weight limit.

Don't forget the Cycle lock,

it will safeguard against tealeaves and also ensure the wheelchair does not become detached from the Bike Rack.

:-(

Archived