2.2 l Ford/Peugeot Engine. Belt or Chain?

colin weston

Am I correct in my understanding that the latest 2.2 litre Ford/Peugeot engine has a belt drive to one of the camshafts which then drives the other camshaft via a chain? I have been trying to find some technical articles on the engine without success. Does anyone know of the service recommendation for changing the belt on this engine as the Service booklet is of little help.

Unfortuately I can`t remember where this came from but maybe a starter Fiat quote 240000Kms for their chain belts.

ENGINES

The new Boxer is powered by three new latest-generation HDi common rail diesel engines that all conform to the Euro 4 emission standards. The engines are also fitted with an electronic onboard diagnosis (EOBD) system to monitor exhaust emissions:

A 2.2 litre HDi diesel engine derived from the co-operation between PSA Peugeot Citroen and Ford is available in two versions: 100 bhp and 120 bhp. A 3.0 litre HDi SOFIM diesel engine with a power of 157 bhp.

2.2 LITRE HDI DIESEL ENGINE

This new 4-cylinder HDi common rail diesel engine has been specially designed for commercial vehicles. Its capacity is 2198 cm³, obtained by a bore of 86 mm and a stroke of 94.6 mm.

This engine is equipped with a cast-iron engine block, a 16-valve aluminium cylinder head and two overhead camshafts. The camshafts are chain driven and a fixed geometry type turbocharger is used. By using the latest-generation common rail direct injection system, with an increased injection pressure of 1600 bars, the system reduces both noise and emissions.

The system ensures that there is always high pressure fuel available for each injection phase during the combustion cycle. The operating principle involves the use of electromagnetic injectors, controlled individually, which enables a finer fuel spray to be injected into the combustion chamber. The gains in terms of complete combustion and energy efficiency provided by this process, results in reduced emissions, fuel savings and a higher engine torque output. A high-capacity exhaust gas recirculation system, controlled electronically (e-EGR), lowers the combustion temperature and helps to reduce emissions of nitrogen oxide and 'black smoke' by around a half. This 'intelligent' electronic system monitors the flow of air and corrects it automatically in the event of an EGR unbalance, or if a valve is jammed. It continually adapts to the engine's operating conditions and is water cooled.The 100 bhp version is combined with a 5-speed manual gearbox and has a maximum torque of 185 lb ft at 1500 rpm.

The 120 bhp version is combined with a 6-speed manual gearbox and has a maximum torque of 236 lb ft at 2000 rpm. It is fitted with a dual mass flywheel and specific engine management software.

The difference in power between these two versions is a result of the individual engine management software.

Their is no service recommendation for changing the timing belt on the 2.2 100bhp engine, so must assume it is a chain. For the 2.3 120/130 engine it is given as 112,000 miles or five years irrespective of mileage. This is taken from my 2008 service book. My van is a Fiat but assume engine is the same.

colin weston - 2010-02-02 8:25 PM

Am I correct in my understanding that the latest 2.2 litre Ford/Peugeot engine has a belt drive to one of the camshafts which then drives the other camshaft via a chain? I have been trying to find some technical articles on the engine without success. Does anyone know of the service recommendation for changing the belt on this engine as the Service booklet is of little help.

Colin

All 2.2litre and 3.0litre motors (whatever their power outputs) used in current 'X/250' Citroen Relay/Jumper, Fiat Ducato and Peugeot Boxer models have common-or-garden chain-driven camshafts.

However, the 2.3litre 120bhp/130bhp motor used in Fiat Ducatos (but not in Citroens/Peugeots) does have the type of 'half and half' valve-timing system you refer to - belt-controlled to begin with, then a cam-to-cam chain.

mirage - 2010-02-02 9:26 PM

The 120 bhp version is combined with a 6-speed manual gearbox and has a maximum torque of 236 lb ft at 2000 rpm. It is fitted with a dual mass flywheel and specific engine management software.

That seems to imply that the 2.2 100 bhp does NOT have a dual mass flywheel. Is anyone able to confirm that?

Sorry for the slight sidetrack..

Steve928 - 2010-02-03 12:59 PM

mirage - 2010-02-02 9:26 PM

That seems to imply that the 2.2 100 bhp does NOT have a dual mass flywheel. Is anyone able to confirm that?

Sorry for the slight sidetrack..

The following may not be 100% correct, but is my understanding of situation.

2.2/100hp solid flywheel

2.2/120hp dual mass

2.3/120hp solid

3.0/160hp dual mass

colin - 2010-02-03 7:23 PM

The following may not be 100% correct, but is my understanding of situation.

2.2/100hp solid flywheel

2.2/120hp dual mass

2.3/120hp solid

3.0/160hp dual mass

I had assumed that all versions of the 2.2litre motor used a DMF, but that was just because (I'm pretty sure!!!) all the the Ford variants do. I guess one could confirm for certain whether the 100bhp unit has a 'solid' clutch via a Peugeot forum such as:

http://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/

For anyone interested, there's a lot of 'techie' stuff on Boxers/Ducatos on

http://www.vanlocator.co.uk/van-for-sale-marques.php?van=25

http://www.vanlocator.co.uk/van-for-sale-marques.php?van=31

http://www.duemotori.com/news/auto_news/7173_New_Fiat_Ducato_the_ideal_companion_for_work_and_free_time.php

Archived