Single night booking at CCC sites

Mardee

We are setting out on a trip to France and Spain via Eurotunnel, travelling down from Argyll over the weekend. We tried to book 1 night at Moffat and 1 night at Kingsbury water park near Coventry. We were told that "the members have decided" that bookings will not be taken for single night at weekends. I could see it being a problem perhaps in August - but in February !!??

We managed to book 1 night at a CC site near Folkestone for the third night

We did phone the club direct since there was no reply from Moffat. We asked to speak to the Manager when we were told of this ruling. She has since passed our message on to Moffat where we frequently break our journey south and are known to the wardens

They have phoned us and we are now booked for that night we have to phone Kingsbury on Saturday morning

My understanding is that the Club will book transit sites in UK and abroad if you book your ferry and/or holiday with Carefree.

It does make you wonder why "the members" made that decision, t'other lot manage to take single nights ok, if they are not already fully booked of course.

Stuart

Mardee - 2010-02-03 4:14 PM

We are setting out on a trip to France and Spain via Eurotunnel, travelling down from Argyll over the weekend. We tried to book 1 night at Moffat and 1 night at Kingsbury water park near Coventry. We were told that "the members have decided" that bookings will not be taken for single night at weekends.

As members my wife and me were not asked our opinion therefore these two members did not decide this policy.

The club states that with the exception of Derwenidioter and Keswick a standard pitch (without electricity or hardstanding) can be booked for a single night unless it's high season or an English Bank Holiday when 2 nights must be booked.

However, for a Service Pitch (ie one with electricity and/or hardstanding) a single night booking can be made UNLESS it is for a Friday or Saturday night or it is high season or an English Bank Holiday.

Personally, we do not like the rule. It means that folks who work Monday to Friday are unable to ever book a pitch with electricity for a one night weekend break.

(The rules for booking Derwenidioter and Keswik are even more restrictive.)

On at least one occasion we used a CC site rather than a CCC site for this very reason.

Guest Tracker

Perhaps it was the same elusive members who also voted for the Caravan Club policy of making EHU compulsory because 'that's what the members wanted'?

On the other hand perhaps it is just another example of an arrogant management trying to railroad those who dare to be non conformists into conformity?

Either way - sod 'em all - we don't use any of their sites anymore and have not missed them at all having not used a club site since June 2005!

A suggestion,

Drive to the site as you would normaly, explain that you were going further to friends and are not feeling well. Let them turn you away and you have an accident are they responsible?

Single nights make extra work, but that's what they are there for, surely, as a convenient night stop over.

I've seen some sites with a late arrival facility use that.

I, not consulted, agree. Being unable to book one night is a pain and I too now use CC for one night stop touring, or travelling from Scotland to the channel. Moffat is a particular pain. It is a convenient night halt site. Had a run-in with staff there a few years back when I turned up, having been unable to book, to find "site full". Numerous non-members on site of course !

We were never consulted either - but are using C&CC less and less anyway.

Tracker

I don't think the CC 'consulted elusive members' on the rule to include EHU in pitch fees - they interpreted the rules regarding third party sale of electricity as requiring them to sell it metered for individual pitches and that that would be too expensive so decided to include it in the (higher) pitch fee.

David

I know the rule is in place but the C&CC are getting very arrogant about bookings and of course want a £25 deposit. Is this the reason CC sites are invariably full on weekends, no restrictions and no deposits. We prefer the CC but C&CC have a few sites which we really like, Salisbury, Oxford and Moreton Dorset. C&CC charges on comparable sites for 2010 are now significantly higher. In high season C&CC West Runcton C&CC 40% higher, Scarborough 27% more expensive, Sandringham 15% higher and Blackmore 6%. Arguably the CC sites are better quality and certainly better organised.

Guest Tracker
david lloyd - 2010-02-04 12:58 PM

I don't think the CC 'consulted elusive members' on the rule to include EHU in pitch fees - they interpreted the rules regarding third party sale of electricity as requiring them to sell it metered for individual pitches and that that would be too expensive so decided to include it in the (higher) pitch fee.

David

Maybe David - BUT and it is a very BIG BUT - other sites - including CCC - seem to have no problem charging a set nightly fee for the 'hire of electrical equipment' - ie one hook up point, as an optional extra to the hire of a pitch - so why can't the CC.

Sorry, but I still see it as a bloody minded one size fits all, take it or leave it arrogance - along with compulsory multiple night bookings.

Tracker - 2010-02-07 8:00 PM

david lloyd - 2010-02-04 12:58 PM

David

Maybe David - BUT and it is a very BIG BUT - other sites - including CCC - seem to have no problem charging a set nightly fee for the 'hire of electrical equipment' - ie one hook up point, as an optional extra to the hire of a pitch - so why can't the CC.

Sorry, but I still see it as a bloody minded one size fits all, take it or leave it arrogance - along with compulsory multiple night bookings.

Hi Tracker

No, I don't disagree with you - was just wanting to be clear on the CC's decision to go that route.

Like you, I can't see why the CC felt they had to include electric hook up in pitch fees - there hasn't been any prosecutions of any other campsites for not doing so as far as I know and, if they really feel that they should do something different (rather than 'hiring out' the hook up) then metering each pitch would be a much fairer way of charging for electric used by each unit. Given the amount of investment each year in site upgrades (not to mention new site development) this could easily have been included in the works program.

David

Archived