Free in Rome?

Cattwg

I was interested in Hymer C9's statement "any one on pension take your passport if you are visiting Museums or the Coliseum you can get in for free". :-D

Is this state pension (i.e. Men aged 65) or would over 60 and retired count. ;-)

Just hoping.

Cattwg :-D

It was 65 for men because Ed did not have his with him and we had to pay full price where as those with their passports only had to pay the 4 euros to not have to queue, I think we paid 16 euros so of course I chunnered about him not having his passport that was for the Coliseum.

There was signs up saying pensioners with EU passports did not have to pay. Carol. :-)

As a general rule, when in Europe other than the UK, you should have on your person the means to establish your identity to any police officer who requests it.  The accepted document for UK citizens, as we do not have identity cards, is our passports.  Ipso, you need to have your passport available for inspection at all times, should you be asked for your identity document.  You will then have no difficulty with establishing your age for concessions.  :-)

You may have difficulty with the police if you cannot produce your identity document: they are not obliged to accept photocard driving licences instead, and may not like the answer that it is "in the van" - which may, in any case, be ransacked, or stolen, in your absence.

kenny - 2010-02-04 3:43 PMSo Brian what do you do when the site has your passport

I have never yet found a site that demands to keep my passport. Then again I always have an International Camping Carnet card, which they are always happy to accept in lieu of the passport.

GypsyTom - 2010-02-04 3:55 PM
kenny - 2010-02-04 3:43 PMSo Brian what do you do when the site has your passport

I have never yet found a site that demands to keep my passport. Then again I always have an International Camping Carnet card, which they are always happy to accept in lieu of the passport.

In Slovenia a camping carnet was not accepted, they wanted my passport to "keep overnight".I asked why they wanted it and they said they had to photo copy it. I persuaded them to copy it right away and they gave it back.I seem to recall that sites in Croatia also wanted to keep my passport.(Maybe if you take copies with you they will accept them ?)

I made a few credit card sized copies of our passports & laminated them. I am quite willing to hand these over & even let them check the details against my passport but would always refuse to leave my passport. I don't use many campsites but have never found a problem with doing this but I would be prepared to find somewhere else if they weren't willing to accept it.

Archived