Hymer headlight bulbs

Brock

Back in August 08, I complained on the forum about the headlight beam on my 05 plated Hymer a-class. Derek Uzzell suspected these lights might not provide wonderful night-time vision (mainly because they are so small). He suggested I tried fitting more powerful bulbs deal and in return for his help I agreed to update the forum.

I chose Halford bulbs that promised to give me 50% more light and were a balance with my concern of using too strong a bulb in the plastic front.

I mentioned this darkness problem to my optician and he said that he would make a minor adjustment to my bi-focal line in my spectacles. He thought that I was probably suffering from looking through the wrong part of the lenses when driving. My van also failed its MOT because the lights were not properly aligned.

Having changed the light bulbs, updated my spectacles (they were due for change anyway), and had my headlights fixed, I have seen some improvement but twelve months later, I am still not confident the light is good on dipped beams. On a side by side unscientific experiment, my son's Transit lights (the same type of bulbs as mines) seem to outshine mine. On the road, he says mine are noticeably worse.

In summary, better bulbs have not a better beam made. So this winter I have been mostly trying carrots and driving slower in the dark!

Archived