Fiat fuze box

Eggy

Fiat Ducato 2.8 on a Chausson Welcome 70 (2005). Does anyone out there know the location of the fuze for the motorised headlamp dipper. I've always kept them moving each time I've driven the van in the hope of them not freezing up, (once per week - even just for a run round) but now they will not adjust, I've gone through the fuzes in the handbook but cannot find it identified. Not sure how to get to the motor wiring to check for 12v.

Unfortuately you testing them each time you have used your headlight has probably unwittingly worn the servos out, namely the little linear potentiometer for sensing position. Incidently when I traced the actual component used it had a temp rating of 0 to 60 deg C and was designed for use in a toy application origonally...totally inadequate for this application and the headlamp manufactures have never responded to my past emails over this issue. I wonder why. The motors do not need to be exercised to prevent 'freezing' up, they are very unlikely to and just testing once a year is fine, or when you actually need to use the adjustment.

They can also wear out just through driving over lots of very bumpy roads as the little servo tries to correct the vibration in the headlamp unit.

I shall check which fuse is used and post back when I find it.

As far as I can make out it is F15 and is the same fuse for the offside (right hand side) dipped light. F14 is for the Nearside dipped.

So if your dipped lights come on you have power to the adjuster circuit.

The fuse is located in the main fuse box under the bonnet.

I don't care if the motors were intended for remote control cars... I have run over 100 Ducato's of 2002 to 2006, many covering over 200,000 miles and have never had a failed headlamp motor.

However, if Eggy finds that after checking everything has power going to the motors and they really have both failed, please PM me as I have a couple of motors out of broken headlights that should save him a considerable amount off the £59 plus vat that Fiat want for each of them!

Nick

Thanks for the reponses, I was hoping a simple fuze replacement, but there is power to the dipped headlamps so it looks like i'll need to check out the motors, are they difficult to get at? the headlamps look pretty well boxed in or would the process of replacing the bulbs give me access to the motors.

Mmm, not easy.

When you have removed the large rear cover of the headlamp you can see the adjuster in the middle. The wiring for it is plugged in on the other side so you have to remove two small pozi screws if you want to change it and then it is just clipped into the headlamp with a ball and socket joint that it will slide out of. There are 3 wires to it, red, black and blue. Ignore the blue one because that is an input to tell it how far to move, and which way. The red and black are the power supply and while you are operating the control inside the vehicle they will be live, and may be live at other times too.

If I was testing one of these I would leave it in position with the headlamp removed but still connected to the wiring loom. The socket for the motor connection is on the other side but there is a hole through which you can poke your multi-meter from the back. The pins you are testing are the outer two (the blue is in the middle).

If there is power there and the motors don't move when you operate the switch then you either have two motors failed or the switch. My money is on the switch. They are about £20.00 Maybe one of your camper buddies will let you borrow theirs to try it first and save yourself a lot of trouble and cost.

Nick

The process of accessing the (edit) bulbs gives you access to the motors. They are very simple to get out once the headlamp is removed.

Nick, I am actually quite taken aback you have not had any fail.

If you have have any more going spare I would be happy to buy them from you as both mine have failed, been replaced and failed again.

Maybe the manufacturer has modified the components used since earlier ones.

Jon.

Brambles,

I am sorry to hear that yours have failed but am surprised that you traced the history of these motors to a toy when they are made by Automotive Lighting Ltd in Germany. The one I have in my hand is dated 05/2005 and there have never been any part number changes during the life of the 2002 to 2006 vehicles. That may be why the headlamp manufacturers did not reply to your query. Your source of information would appear to be wrong.

I suspect that your problems have been caused by some external issue; possibly a faulty switch. Something else that we have never had to change.

Nick

Thanks for all the useful info, what a brilliant site this is. I'll have a go this weekend to try to identify the problem (given all yours tips I now feel confident of looking in the right place and not wasting my time), I think I'll look at the switch first then the motors. will let you know how I get on.

I have established that I have power at the switch and the motors, so I will try to swap a switch (On a club meet next weekend) and check that out, if its the motors then I'll take up your kind offer Nick and purchase the 2nd/hand motors from you.

• 2 weeks later...

Success, tried my switch in a fellow members van and it wasn't working, so ordered a new one £24 incl vat and we're up and running again. I will certainly avoid purposely activating it though in the future as per advise.

Many thanks for all your responses.

Eggy

Just for extra info, took to old switch apart and foung that the failure was a mechanical failure, the axle that the wheel revolves on had fractured, thus on turning the wheel the electronic switch was not operating.

Eggy

Archived