Camping cheque cards

peter21

You pay £3.50 to "activate" the silver card, then no more, other than the cost of any Camping Cheques you then pre-load it with. If you had activated it before 31 January, it would have cost £2.

It's a gripe I have with the silver card, as in Holland and France, to name but 2, the card is included FREE with the Camping Cheque guide 2010, and FREE to activate, but in rip-off Britain we have to pay for it of course, as well as for the book >:-(

The silver card doesn't have all the "advantages" of the gold card, ie cheques are still only valid for 2 years, whereas they are valid for 4 years on the gold card if I'm not mistaken.

For the Gold card, I think it costs 3 Camping Cheques, but not sure on that one, as I've never got one.

The new website is not very user friendly either, the old one was better.

Interestingly also, a number of sites in France which used to accept Camping Cheques, have dropped out and gone with ACSI. We use the ACSI card much more than Camping Cheques, and a couple of sites which we use quite a bit now accept ACSI instead of Camping Cheques :-D

We've just come back from a 3 week tour around southern Spain and Portugal.

About half the nights were wild camping and half on various ACSI card camp sites.

I did notice on two separate ACSI sites that they had signs up saying that Camping Cheques would no longer be accepted by that site beyond the 31st December 2009.

In contrast, there seem to be quite a few more ACSI sites in Spain and Portugal in this years ACSI book.

IMHO the ACSI discount card scheme really is a really great value scheme here in mainland Europe at least.

11 or 13 or 15 euros per night for a motorhome pitch, two adults, a dog; including electric hookup, water, greywater and chemical toilet disposal points, and showers, washing machines, swimming pool (not at this time of year!) etc.

:-D

• 8 months later...
Ina - 2010-02-06 11:18 AM

31 January, it would have cost £2.

It's a gripe I have with the silver card, as in Holland and France, to name but 2, the card is included FREE with the Camping Cheque guide 2010, and FREE to activate, but in rip-off Britain we have to pay for it of course, as well as for the book >:-( :-D

Not quite true.

If you buy cheques you get the book free.

The book can be purchased separately but at all the shows where I have see the CC books they were either free or £1.

At the recent NEC show on the Alan Rogers stand (agents for cc in the UK) the 2009 books were also £1. The new 2010 books are coming out about now.

peter21 - 2010-02-06 6:45 AM

Hi

Anyone any experience of these? I didn't find their website very clear on the costs of using their silver or gold cards. Do you pay to preload them? There is an 'admin fee'....per site? per card?

Thanks in advance

Peter

Peter

I have used Camping Cheques for a number of years now and have not been persuaded to apply for one of the cards so I still use paper Cheques. The Gold Card has a number of advantages over the paper Cheques and Silver Card but a cost of 3 Camping Cheques I am not convinced the advantages are worth that. If you buy from the Camping Cheque website they will make a surcharge if you want to pay by credit card and there is an admin fee if just buying the cheques, it might be slightly cheaper if you use either of the cards. If you buy your crossing from the Caravan Club they will sell you paper Camping Cheques at face value with no surcharges but I am not sure they can add cheques to one of the cards. Like others we have increasingly used the ACSI Card in recent years as you don't have to pay up front as you do with Camping Cheques and you get a range of prices unlike one price fits all with Camping Cheques. Just in case someone suggests not to have the paper cheques because of all the writing of names and addresses on each cheque I use AbleLabels on mine which have always been accepted.

David

djchapple - 2010-11-11 7:32 PM

Ina - 2010-02-06 11:18 AM

31 January, it would have cost £2.

It's a gripe I have with the silver card, as in Holland and France, to name but 2, the card is included FREE with the Camping Cheque guide 2010, and FREE to activate, but in rip-off Britain we have to pay for it of course, as well as for the book >:-( :-D

Not quite true.

If you buy cheques you get the book free.

The book can be purchased separately but at all the shows where I have see the CC books they were either free or £1.

At the recent NEC show on the Alan Rogers stand (agents for cc in the UK) the 2009 books were also £1. The new 2010 books are coming out about now.

That wasn't my point. My point was that if you wanted the Silver Card over here, you had to pay for it, whereas in France and Holland it was free. I know you get the book free when you buy the cheques, but if you wanted to stop using paper cheques, you would have to buy the book, then pay for the Silver Card. Plus also, I have since realised, there is an £8 admin charge if you want to load cheques onto your Silver Card.

IMHO ACSI is much the better scheme, and since this thread started at the beginning of 2010, even more CC sites in France have gone over to ACSI for 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

ACSI is being touted as the best deal, but try getting on an Italian ACSI site in the run up to the peak season. ACSI has gone wrong by allowing advance booking just like the club sites here. Money grabbing doesn't make for a good experience

:-D

MHN - 2010-11-27 10:18 PM

mel wood - 2010-11-24 12:55 PM

No problems this year or in 2009 in May on various sites in very popular areas.

If you mean football grounds you could be right.

MHN I have no idea what your comment means.

You have no idea of where I stayed so what was the point of your comment?

Archived