Heraklion (Iraklio) Port Crete

Don Madge

We shall be arriving at Heraklion port in Crete about 20.00 hours on the 21st March and our return sailing is on the 7th May. If anybody else is on Crete on these dates get in touch so we can meet up and compare notes.

Does anybody have any info on overnight parking at or near the port?

I've collected quite a lot of info on Crete but if anybody has up to date info it would be most welcome.

We plan to follow the coast road eastwards at a very steady pace stopping at free parking spots as well as campsites.

Safe travelling.

Don

Guest JudgeMental

I am so jealous! I spent 3 months in a beaten up VW van on Crete when I was much younger. I am dying with envy, have a great trip! :-D

We just stayed wherever never saw a campsite, Vai beach, we camped in the palm forest directly on the beach for a week with about 5 other vans (its the beauty spot where they filmed the famous Bounty ad with girl coming out of the water) be nice if this wildcamping is still posible but there are probably hotels in all the spots we stayed :-S

Hi Don

We will be in Crete from April until Mid May so maybe we could meet up. I.m afraid we sold the house down there otherwise you could have come for coffee!!

If you are heading east from Heraklion the best places are the Marine Aquarium at Hersonnissos signposted off the main national road, or the archaeological site at Malia. After Malia, there are only two sites, one at Sissi and the next at Ierapetra on the South Coast. You can stay at Plaka near Elounda, opposite Spinalonga or in the car park at Kritsa, something we did on a regular basis when we had several too many!

There is a good parking place down at Istron by the beach follow the sign to Karavostasi.Yes you can stay at Vai at the big car park by the beach but only out of season only. Otherwise the harbour at Kouremenos is a nice place to stop. Also if you are going that far Kato Zakros is a brilliant place to visit and we parked by the sea for the night.

I will send you a copy of the article we wrote about Eastern Crete by private message.

In the west there is an ideal spot at Agia Pelagia next to the sea. You can stay in the car park at Phaestos on the South coast and there is a good site at Agia Galini. We can also thoroughly recommend Camping Elizabeth at Rethymnon.

Crete - one of my favourite places. Can second the vote for camping Elizabeth. There are wonderful walks nearby. Also recommend, on the south coast - eastern end wild camping along quite parts. Arvi, Mirtos, Lendas and up the western end (south coast) Sougia is lovely, but probably busy.

If you get the chance and enjoy walking we have walked through Samaria Gorge (busier the second time, and the harder bits have been smoothed out), then instead of going straight to the beach bear left you will find the river going into the sea. Then walk along the coast (rather than take ferry). Look at maps its long, but lovely. Stop at Loutro, then the busy Hora Sfagion.

Western side Sfinari bay area.

Would yo also kindly forward the notes to me - and also any of your recommendations - as last time we hired a car and threw tent etc in it. Hope to go back in 1-2 years.

Unfortunately, over the last 30 years it has changed - but nowhere stands still. Our last visit was 5 years ago.

Finally, we have same van - Timberland Freedom - could you let me know how long you wildcamp and what electric stuff you have as I've just had another couple of leisure batteries installed - but that's another story.

Thanks

Sorry to go off topic a bit with my first post :$ but has anyone any up to date info regarding LPG in Greece in general, have seen some old stuff but nothing recent. We are going to spend the summer there, did the same thing 18 years ago and wild camped every night with no problem not so this time methinks.

LPG in Greece is still not widely available. You can buy propane at various gas shops in larger towns which are the silver bottles. I have heard that the fitting is the same as Italian and French bottles but the gas supplier made me a new pigtail to go from the regulator to the bottle.

Some places will fill your bottles but they get sent away and may come back silver! To fill LPG tanks you would need to go to the gas depots as garages selling LPG are few and far between.

It is illegal to wild camp in Greece however nobody takes any notice of rules and regulations. Just use your common sense when parking. In the peak season you may get moved on from some areas.

Thanks for that Petra, yes I understand the Greek attitude to rules and regulations until it suits them that is. We spent 6 months there with our two children 18 years ago couldnt really afford to pay camp sites then and didnt get moved once. Having one 6k Gaslow bottle fitted in my new van tomorrow so as the LPG situation at filling stations seems not to have improved will get a pigtail made up ready for the silver jobs.

Thanks again

Peter

Archived