Rain water engine bay

Richard North

I have a 1999 Autotrail Mohican, problems with rain water entering the engine bay via top of bonnet where it joins the bulkhead, seal by bulkhead less than useless, replaced once. Water comes in particularly on the offside and poores onto the top of the battery, any one experienced this problem and know of any fixes?

Richard

Hello Richard, presumably your base is a Sevel in which case this is a well known problem caused by the lack of drainage on the drivers side of the rain channel. The water collects and eventually floods over into the engine bay and on top of the battery. Under normal driving conditions the water is drained via the heater air intake grill which is on the passenger side, if the vehicle is left parked up particularly if there is a fall to the drivers side you will have this problem. There is available a cover for the battery however this does not solve the problem only stops the battery from flooding acid down your paintwork!

The cure is to drill a hole through the plastic where the rain collects and silicone or glue a tube (you can buy clear plastic hose of a suitable diameter) into the hole and run the tube down and out of the bottom of the engine bay so draining the water under the van.

This was a modification done by some motorhome builders and is also shown in an article that is available on the web but I have been unable to locate it, perhaps someone else will be able to advise you.

Bas

A very simple plastic bag, doubled and taped over an object will keep water off with no fear of interupting electrical contacts, just watch where the water it is going to flow afterwards.

Do not seal the bag to the battery completely so allowing a flow of air between.

Or buy a plastic tray and do the same. But a bag will bend and fit to any shape better.

It does puzzle me why many people wait until the problem is serious before acting. The problems are simple, so are the answers.

Water will find its way anywhere, and under moving pressures even further. There are very few moving parts that are exposed in modern vehicles which should make for much easier protection by the user.

Keep life simple, it usually works better.

I made up a cover from perspex from packaging and fitted it under the rubber seal and at an angle over the battery and it diverted the water safely over the front of the slam panel.

Have 2001 Ducato 2.8jtd Autotrail and vehicle is parked on my drive where the angle i park makes or did make the water overflow over barttery. The way i overcome this was to slit a rubber tube down the middle , it was about 1/2" dia and 8"" long , i then opened the tube and placed over the exsisting seal and over lapping it right up to the wing. I put a hosepipe on it and no water went over the lip, it ran down the channel to the headlight area.

Battery acid overflow will eat through its steal container very quickly and weaken it. Not only that but the acid will then seep onto other metal parts and may result in an MOT failure. To minimise battery corrosion within its holder, remove it and replace in a thick plastic bag, then refit as normal.

The action of the acid will be increased if the vehicle is left outdoors in damp conditions.

Archived