French Autoroute Tolls Reduction Disabled Adapted vehicles.

RoyH

Post cancelled. Just read the rest of the thread on a caravan forum and what I was going to copy was incorrect. But you can get a reduction for adapted vehicles. The original poster thought you just had to wave your disabled blue badge at the manned toll gate.

You used to be able to just wave your badge, but they are getting really stroppy now and say that Camping Cars dont qualify. I printed off the details from the autoroute site that said adapted vehicles of Class 2 qualify for Class 1 charges and now show them that in French if they argue. YOur motorhome has to be registered as disabled tax class the same as for the Dartford crossing.

Best to go at busy times when they dont argue as much.

Petra - 2010-02-08 4:10 PM

You used to be able to just wave your badge, but they are getting really stroppy now and say that Camping Cars dont qualify. I printed off the details from the autoroute site that said adapted vehicles of Class 2 qualify for Class 1 charges and now show them that in French if they argue. YOur motorhome has to be registered as disabled tax class the same as for the Dartford crossing.

Best to go at busy times when they dont argue as much.

Hi Petra

Could you post a link to the autoroute site. I had a look a various French toll operators sites, but could not find the details

Thanks

I know that this is going to put the cat amongst the pigeons but here goes.

I am all for the Blue Badge scheme for people who qualify and I agree most of the time, BUT, what difference is there between someone who qualifies for a Blue Badge and someone who doesn't when going through tolls. There is no need for anyone to get out of their vehicle, unless they are on their own, then that is a different matter, so why should the badge holders get a reduction? Can someone explain to me why this should happen, perhaps I have missed something.

Food for thought.

Sylvia & Martin ,

Now lets see i will probably make amess of things as usual :D Its something to do with the fact that they disabled person can not earn the amount that a normal working abled person can earn.

I think Like Rose & fred will be on that amount for the rest of their born natural days with no other enhancments I think and that makes for a very low living . So things like Tolls and parking for free mind you they dont get anything else free .Oops we could apply for the tax disc for free but we wont because they are not the sole riders in the vehicle so we prefer to play it straight and pay for the tax .plenty wouldnt .

I told you I would make a mess of it didnt I . :-|

Randonneur - 2010-02-10 7:05 PM

I know that this is going to put the cat amongst the pigeons but here goes.

I am all for the Blue Badge scheme for people who qualify and I agree most of the time, BUT, what difference is there between someone who qualifies for a Blue Badge and someone who doesn't when going through tolls. There is no need for anyone to get out of their vehicle, unless they are on their own, then that is a different matter, so why should the badge holders get a reduction? Can someone explain to me why this should happen, perhaps I have missed something.

Food for thought.

Hi Randonneur

I am not trying to antagonise , but as Michelle says & that anything required for disabilities are generally at a lot higher cost.

In the case of our Motorhome, my wife requires various additional fittings / adaptations, which in our case the cost was far greater than the VAT exemption reduction.

It is also her only means of travelling anywhere, as a car can not provide her needs.

So as example:- Car c£15/£20k v M/H c£45k.

As I said before, I agree with the Blue Badge Scheme, but don't understand why there should be a reduction in Tolls. OK, there are very few Toll road/bridges in the UK and it is usually in other parts of Europe that these charges would apply and it would be a Holiday for most people rather than living there, if that makes sense. The Scheme is widely used in France for parking which is good and I aplaud that.

Hi Randonneur

I think you have to look at it from a country's policy towards its residents.

It would be against EU legislation to apply the "local" Blue Badge" regulations to their own citizens only.

We have found that many of the older EU states have a greater awareness of disability requirements and "Blue Badge" regulations beyond those of the UK.

It is how they try harder to intrgrate the disabled community into their society.

Archived