trip

daj

i am considering going on a trip around europe for a year starting around sept time hopefully freecamping the majority of it.has anyone any usefull tips or info to give me that has already done a similar trip.any info would be gratefully recieved thanks

My first step was to buy "Go Motorhoming Europe" and the others they sell on aires and wild camping as well as camp sites, from Vicarious Books. That will answer quite a few of your questions and give you a lot to read.

I am not connected to them by the way.

Roy Fuller

Hi daj - welcome to the mad house (probably realised that already! :D )

I would strongly recommend the Aires book, either the English version or the fuller French version, as well as the ACSI book with the discount card.

Are you new to motorhoming or a seasoned old-timer?

I'm green with envy! The longest we've been able to escape for so far was 5 weeks last summer. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

Do you know yet which countries you intend to include? "Europe" is a mighty big place nowadays, even for a year's trip!

As the others have said, there are various "aires" books for France, and some of them include other countries. If you're spending much time in France, definitely join FrancePassion as well ( www.france-passion.com or Vicarious again).

The "Bordatlas" does the same job very well indeed for Germany. It has a second (smaller!) volume for "the rest of Europe," which is just as good but naturally far less comprehensive.

Languages: In Western Europe, English is widely spoken in tourist areas, but if you want to experience the countries themselves a bit of local language will be helpful, and even those who speak English appreciate you making the effort. Once you get further East (ie across the old Iron Curtain), almost everyone you meet wants to practice their English on you, so just try to learn a few "courtesy" phrases as you go along.

Money: I'd advise opening a Nationwide Flexaccount with a Debit Card. They do a fair rate of exchange, and they don't charge currency fees. The Debit card doesn't even attract a cash withdrawal fee.

Make sure you've always got some Euros with you, as they're often accepted unofficially even in countries with their own currencies.

On arrival in a non-Euro country, use your card in an ATM rather than changing any of your Euros into local money - you'll only get ripped off, and you'll need them again later!

If I think of anything else I'll post again.

Best wishes

Tony

PS You don't give your location - You're not my cousin in Melbourne are you, planning a surprise visit??

Archived