Wrong time to change my van?

Brock

Bazza454 - 2010-02-09 6:41 PM

Toyota are certainly no worse than any of the other major manufacturers with the number of recalls, but the way that they have handled the current issues is a Public Relations disaster

About ten (? ) years ago Peugoet had a very similar fault, they effectively hid it from VOSA and did not issue a recall, unfortunaly most journo's not knowing their árse from their elbows don't reconise when a company is doing the right thing.

colin - 2010-02-09 7:11 PM
Bazza454 - 2010-02-09 3:35 PM

Not sure if the relatives of this poor family would agree with you Richard -

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/familys-toyota-deathcrash-call-released-2045189.html

I think it proves richards case, didn't think to knock it into nuetral, turn off engine, or just stand on the brakes, but had time to make a 911 call! sounds very suspect to me.
Nar they were Americans!

Colin & Lenny

I heard some of this 911 call that was made and it sounded horrific, not everyone reacts 'sensibly' in moments of such stress and they have paid the ultimate price. In this regard, IMV ,you are both out of order with your disdainful comments. :-|

Mel B - 2010-02-09 9:07 PM

Colin & Lenny

I heard some of this 911 call that was made and it sounded horrific, not everyone reacts 'sensibly' in moments of such stress and they have paid the ultimate price. In this regard, IMV ,you are both out of order with your disdainful comments. :-|

Well I disagree with you. If it had been a split second thing with little time to react, then fine it was a tragic acident, but we are talking about a californian highway patrol officer who had time to make a 911 call.

When you take your private pilots licence you have to learn to restart your engine if it stops or stalls during flight, believe me, that is a scary event, so a throttle sticking on a car is at most to be taken in your stride.

I think car drivers should be taught what to do in similar situations instead of all this silly 'show me-tell me' rubbish about where the dipstick/washer bottle is.

Any car, manual or auto can be knocked out of gear when the car is moving, whether at 20 mph or 120 mph, and yet this guy was supposed to be a trained patrol car driver.

The very worst outcome of that scenario should have been a blown engine and even that would have been unlikely as once the car is in neutral, the engine could have been switched off.

Fitting a simple fuel cut out switch at manufacture would also alleviate this kind of event.

One last thing, everyone is slating Toyota for this, what we should remember is that they purchase all the parts from outside sources, I think they should be applauded for taking the blame instead of passing it on.

Archived