Leisure Batteries - again

Guest Tracker

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker

Not that one Jon - this one - see page 8 for digital controller.

http://www.eberspacher.com/downloads/technical-documents/combitronic_22297.pdf

Like most modern so called technical manuals it does not help when you really need help!

And this one ain't much better!

http://www.eberspacher.com/downloads/technical-documents/hydronicD4+D5wsc_technical.pdf

Lenny - in winter I never let the tank go below half full to avoid any possibility of being cold or walking home!

Tell me again what heatng sytem you have.

model and name? Also how do you get hot air. Have you a separate heat exchanger with fan? Model and name.

Also what conmtroller you have? Model and name.

I have been making teh assumption it was a air heater but now seems to be a water heater.

Jon.

Ok, read the posts again re heater. See what you mean about manuals - no indicaton of how to unlock from control panel and I cannot help there now.

As to current drain - why do you get a diffence between 1.8 to 4 amps depending on how hard it is working, presumably this is the water pump speed. In which case why 18 Amps... should be under 14 Amps.

It gives good ball part figure though. The glowplug.igniter will be constant on or off, so your amps fig must be right but is only for a short time. So back now to waiting for Varta to get back with specs...if they ever do. I have had an aknowlegement my request for info has been received.

Guest Tracker
Brambles - 2010-02-22 11:30 PM

So back now to waiting for Varta to get back with specs...if they ever do. I have had an aknowlegement my request for info has been received.

You're honoured - I can't even get an acknowledgement out of Varta!

The heater is Hydronic D5W SC according to the label.

It creates blown hot air and/or heats the domestic hot water via what looks like separate heat exchangers. In practice I don't need to switch the hot water heating circuit on as the system coolant seems to get the hot water just as hot (very hot!) regardless.

Looking at the way the pipework runs, I assume the coolant is pump circulated, taking yet more current?

It might be a fault or a charecteristic because I can heat the water in summer without using the hot blown air circuit - or I can just turn the room stat down - same effect!

When it's working well it's very good and when it's bad it's - cold!

Anyway don't worry about the vaguaries of Eberspacher too much as we have the gist of what we need to know about how it works and the current consumption.

Guest Tracker

Thanks Jon - I did not for one minute think that you had forgotten and I too have fallen victim to 'pressing wrong bitton syndrome' so I do sympathise.

We don't plan on using the van for a week or two so it won't hurt batteryless - and it means the guarantee - for what they are worth - will last that little bit longer!

Thanks.

PS - I'm still drawn to the Hybrid 110ah!

Hi Tracker

I have been following this thread with interest and I like you have learnt a lot about batteries.

On My motorhome I have two 85amp batteries ( forgot the name but the standard green one's that the fit on Motorhomes ) I also have a 80watt solar panel and a Battery Master, The three years I have owned this vehicle I have fitted the second battery and the Battery Master recovered off my flooded Telstar, when I go away on our annual fornights hol's I use hook up but never have the charger on for the batteries, so they just charge via solar panel or days out.

I have a computierized main panel and I can check how many amps I am using and although we are careful how much we use we don't scrimp using the one eyed monster every night and having showers I have converted the main lights that we use to LED's. All through the bad weather this year the Motorhome has only had two short runs and both the leisure and main batterys have never gone below 13.8 volts but I have made sure the snow was cleaned off the Solar Panel.

At the Lincoln show last year we camped for the full four days and and used our electrics just the same as our Holl's had no other form of electric top up, Mind we have not got a juice gobling diesl heater.

Over my Motoring years both with cars and Motorhomes I have revived more batteries than I have scrapped, of the batteries that I have had tested and been told are Kna****d I have returned home turned the batteries upside down in a plastic bowel draining the acid, then flushed out the cells with a hose while the battery is upside down flushed out all the sedement, I then waited until the acid had settled for a few hours then carefully topped up all the cells with the same acid and charged for two days, I have only once failed to revive a battery using this method, the reason I use the old acid is so that I know using a Hydrometer the reading is for a flat battery when testing and if you used new acid the reading would be 1200 or more so would not be a good test. The way I look at the situation you cannot make the battery any worse than Knac****d.

I used the above method many years ago on an old LDO motorhome and the leisure battery was a truck battery with rope handles ( a beast ) it had been on the vehicle for three years, it was going flat quite often I had it tested and surprise surprise I was told it was no longer useable, I used my repair method and it was still on and working well when I sold it seven years later, I always take precautions when handling acid.

I don't know if you want to go down this root as it is a bit of a performance and the days of doing these repairs things where really hard and pennies scarce. and now as a pennsioner they are worse.

Terry

Guest Tracker

Thanks Terry, hope you are well, I too I have revived old car and boat batteries in the past using this method and when the dust settles I will have a go with the unsealed Elecsol after all there is nowt to lose.

However the other battery is a sealed one and will probably be damaged beyond resealing if I force it open so I will need to buy at least one battery anyway.

There is no point in replacing just one of a pair of batteries so my thinking is to buy two new ones and see if I can resurect the Elecsol as spare. Despite the rude comments a spare battery in the garage is never a bad thing in my view!

My make do and mend philosophy still runs deep but not when it comes to being freezing cold in winter!

Tracker - 2010-02-26 10:24 AM

Thanks Terry, hope you are well, I too I have revived old car and boat batteries in the past using this method and when the dust settles I will have a go with the unsealed Elecsol after all there is nowt to lose.

However the other battery is a sealed one and will probably be damaged beyond resealing if I force it open so I will need to buy at least one battery anyway.

There is no point in replacing just one of a pair of batteries so my thinking is to buy two new ones and see if I can resurect the Elecsol as spare. Despite the rude comments a spare battery in the garage is never a bad thing in my view!

My make do and mend philosophy still runs deep but not when it comes to being freezing cold in winter!

Hi Tracker

I used the cleaning method on two Elecsol batteries about four years ago before selling my motorhome still keep in touch with the new owner and he said the batteries are still going strong

Terry

Guest Tracker

Appreciate the help Terry but the sort of places we like to camp with are without EHU and I would rather have dependable batteries for the sake of a couple of hundred quid!

But I will have a go at the Elecsol and will enjoy breaking the Moura open too in due course - wearing suitable old clothes and goggles of course!

Guest Tracker

Another aspect I had forgotten is that my dearly beloved likes to use her 350w 230v hair styler via the 650w inverter from time to time and 10 minutes of that will knock up to about 10ah out of the battery.

It is surprisingly effective used as a hair dryer too for those like us without the means to power a proper hair dryer.

Once on the road that, if I am right, only equates to an hour of driving roughly or 4 hours of 60w solar panel on an average day.

Perhaps I should get her a Braun butane powered one instead?

Or a nice quiet generator from Aldi!

• 2 years later...
Having worked with lead acid batteries for a number of years with some disappointment i have decided to go the nuclear route. I have dismantled 2016 smoke detectors and removed the radioactive particles and stuck them together forming a ball about the size of a marble. Then i have placed (thrown) this ball into a kettle full of distilled water assuming that when it boiled the steam would operate the turbine (12 volt fan) this will then charge the battery's at a rate as yet unverified but it must be a high value as it is both dangerous and radioactive. i have got lead underpants on to protect the important parts which chafe and are very heavy. At the moment i am waiting for the supercharged steam to operate the turbine. But whilst i have been waiting weeping sores have developed all over my body so i am off to the doctors for some cream. Do you think the nuclear route is the best way to go or shall i just order some cheap battery's off E Bay?

Archived