converting seating into bed

forest-gump

Hi

Wonder whether anybody could help me.

I currently have a four berth Hymer Motorhome with an L shaped lounge. I would like to have this L-shaped lounge converted so at night I am able to turn it from seating area to small double.

Can anybody recommend a firm that would be able help me with this. Perhaps somebody has had something similar done. Any advice would be great.

We have the right number of cushions, etc, to facilitate such conversion and would use a mattress topper cut to size as well. It is therefore only the mechanical/carpentry side of things that would need alteration.

Ideally I would like to use a firm as close to home as possible and live in the West Country.

Thanks everybody.

Chris.

Guest Tracker

The West Country is a large area but have you tried the phone book for local caravan repairers, yacht fitters, upholsterers, cabinet makers, carpenters and anything else related as one of them should be able to point you to a local tradesman with some clues.

Murvi at Plymouth might help as might the likes of Marquis, Martins, WCMH, Chelston et al?

donna miller - 2010-02-10 11:18 AM

Look in the yellow pages under carpentry services, a good chippy will be a lot less than a m/home converter

True but Peter Hambilton will be able to obtain matching materials from Hymer which will give a professional finish which will not effect resale vale.

forest-gump - 2010-02-09 6:43 PM

Hi

Wonder whether anybody could help me.

I currently have a four berth Hymer Motorhome with an L shaped lounge. I would like to have this L-shaped lounge converted so at night I am able to turn it from seating area to small double.

Can anybody recommend a firm that would be able help me with this. Perhaps somebody has had something similar done. Any advice would be great.

We have the right number of cushions, etc, to facilitate such conversion and would use a mattress topper cut to size as well. It is therefore only the mechanical/carpentry side of things that would need alteration.

Ideally I would like to use a firm as close to home as possible and live in the West Country.

Thanks everybody.

Chris.

My initial question is - do you really need to 'alter' the existing furniture, or would a free-standing extension do what you want? There is already a freestanding extension available to be used, usually in a caravan, which in my opinion is just a glorified 'folding bench' which sits next to the seatbase and you simply place the cushions on top of it, you could fit a couple of catches (hook and eye come initially to mind) to the existing seat base in a sensible but inobtrusive position, to keep it in place when in use.

http://www.caravanextendabed.com/

If you have some DIY skills, it shouldn't be that difficult to make something suitable - even a piece of board which sits under the cusions and slides out when needed, with legs on each corner of the front edge, and one in the centre, would do the trick. It wouldn't take much to make and if you use some stair spindles or table legs, or some chrome legs used for supporting kitchen worktops (not the thick ones!), it could easily be made to look as if it was part of the original van (you could use a cheap table from Ikea for example to get the right 'colour'.

If you can tell us what your specific van is and/or supply photos, I'll have a shuftie and see if I can come up with other suggetions.

As side note, when looking this up the 'caravan extendabed' on Google I came across a patent application relating to this, and the decision - the patent was NOT granted! Anyone interested can read it here:

patent application

patent refusal

We have L shaped seating in the lounge part of the motorhome and we make the double up using the table which has a folding mechanism which brings it down to the same height as the seat bases, we also have a separate cushion with plain fabric which is used over the table. The rest of the cushions are reversed to make a flat surface and then we have what was termed as an 'egg-box' mattress which has a single duvet cover on it.

We have an 05 plated Hymer 544 with L shaped lounge opposite a long bench seat. The fixed table drops down and with additional cushions (Hymer did supply them) converts into a double bed. We tend to use the long bench base cushion to make up the double bed downstairs if we need one.

Peter Hambilton has an excellent reputation and did a good job for me in the past. He is a dab hand at removing the fixed tables so I wonder whether yours has been removed in the past.

Archived