tyre inflator

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

search function not working. I need a tyre inflator.sutiable for camper/4x4 wheels and 80 psi bike tyres.

have had 2 Michelin ones both have lasted 18 months..... any idea please?

After getting sick to death of failing 12 volt inflators for 65 psi tyres I borrowed a cyclist track pump.

So impressed with how this handled getting that last few psi in without leaking more out than it got in I brought one;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topeak_Joe_Blow_Sport_Track_Pump/5360013205/

I have found it to be excellent, it has a good gauge and very good valve coupling head. Pumping up the moderately small amounts of additional pressure are no real effort. I think inflating from flat could be an effort but just the normal "trimming" is easy. I recommend it.

Guest JudgeMental

non of the gauges are in anyway accurate that I have use over the years. the Michelin probably the best of a bad lot but none have lasted much past the warranty period *-)

i always use a separate digital gauge

the ITC unit arrived this morning next day as promised! very sturdy construction.

will give it a go when and if it stops raining :-S

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2010-02-12 10:45 AM

non of the gauges are in anyway accurate that I have use over the years. the Michelin probably the best of a bad lot but none have lasted much past the warranty period *-)

i always use a separate digital gauge

the ITC unit arrived this morning next day as promised! very sturdy construction.

will give it a go when and if it stops raining :-S

WELL! thats going straight back...300 PSI my a$$ took a half hour to move 5 psi, and the old fashioned plastic valve with lever.....at least the Michelin have a reliable brass valve

NEXT! :-D

Molls-Phot - 2010-02-12 9:26 AM

That's an interesting solution. So this cycle pump will fit campervan tyre valves? Is the gauge fairly accurate? If so I may get one myself as you just can't trust the accuracy of garage air hoses.

Talking about my "Blo-Joe Sport Pump" as the given link:

Yes the valve fitting is double ended; one for cycle "Presto" and the other for what I call standard automotive "Schrader". It has a toggle that you turn one way or other to clamp solidly to the valve stem. Mine looks as if its a painted aluminium casting; however it fits very well which was not the case with the cheapo ones on the 12volt units I have had.

The gauge is seemingly a quality product and it agrees with my digital gauge at the higher pressure [65psi]. Within the range of my trusty and very old "Dunlop" plunger type that only goes to 50 psi, the pumps gauge also agrees. I have not had any of these tested as I no longer have access to such equipment.

To get a good reading the valve adaptor has to be correctly located on the valve stem; if its not on fully then its not reading the tyres pressure. This is very apparent as on finishing a pumping stroke the gauge reading is obviously left too high.

Before "splashing the cash" go to the cycle Dept at Halfords and handle the unit and ask the staff's opinion; I am sure you will be impressed by the quality and feel of the unit. I was even happier as when I visited it was on promotion for about £24, but that was a while ago.

Molls-Phot - 2010-02-12 5:01 PM

Thanks! I had a look at one today but it was £50 which is too much so may have to get one online. The Halfords one is also metal and was £25.[/quote

leave the Halfords brand one where it is: the Wiggle deal is with free delivery, I use them for my cycling stuff and they have been a good company to deal with.

Edit something gone wrong with this post??

I'd just add that I favour this route as well.  I have an old, and fairly cheap, plastic track pump that does the job just fine.  However, it was showing its teeth, so I got a Michelin branded foot pump to replace it.  The valve connector is useless, and you dump half the pressure trying to release it.  It falls over on uneven ground, and it only gives about half the volume per stroke that the track pump delivers!  I'm going to get a new track pump, which will also be far better with the bike tyres.  Since van tyres are at far lower pressures than bike tyres, the effort required is not that great so, whereas you do have to keep pumping for a while longer than with a bike, the upper body workout is not in heart attack territory!  IMO none of these Mickey Mouse devices would get near reinflating a totally flat van tyre before they, or the operator, expired.  Fingers crossed?  :-)

Hi Brian. Us cyclists are not talking about plactic Mickey Mouse pumps, but steel or aluminium pro-type track pumps, which come into their own at the higher pressures. They inflate up to 120-160psi, ideal for maintaining / topping up M.H. tyres. Not inflating from flat.! There are several makes available,:- Top-deck Joe Blow series, Airwave Blast series, or Blackburn air power 2 - 4, to name but Three. They have good connectors that fit both types of valves and they should last a lifetime,

Brian.

Archived