Denmark into Sweden ?

Lord Raindrop

Guest Tracker

Yes in 2008 and it is motorway all the way with two toll bridges and is a doddle.

The tolls on the Storebaelt and Oresund bridges are not cheap but still much easier than using a ferry or driving all the way round.

You can check tolls on the web but you don't pre book just pay and go!

Guest JudgeMental

not for about 5 years. we used both the Hellsinger - Helsingborg ferry route. and the new bridge, Copenhagen - Malmo. a very impressive structure. but from memory the ferry is cheaper.....

Some rough prices for our planned trip in a few months.

6m and under 3500Kg MH.

Puttgarten to Rodby ferry 110 euros.

Nyborg to Korsor (Storebaelt bridge) 62 euros.

Osesund bridge 66euros.

Helsingborg ferry 81 euros.

All returns.

HTH ;-)

EJB - 2010-02-12 12:53 PM

Some rough prices for our planned trip in a few months.

6m and under 3500Kg MH.

Puttgarten to Rodby ferry 110 euros.

Nyborg to Korsor (Storebaelt bridge) 62 euros.

Osesund bridge 66euros.

Helsingborg ferry 81 euros.

All returns.

HTH ;-)

Gets dearer though for MHs over 3500kg - ours is upplated to 3850kg and the return tolls last year for the 2 bridges would have come to between £350 and £400 if I remember right.

Much as we wanted to go back to Sweden, we decided to wait until we can go for longer than a fortnight at that price...

Thank you for the replies, there is an event we aim to attend on Mon, an island in Denmark in June, it’s an International event with many attendees, whilst there we are thinking about going to Sweden and perhaps camping for a week or so. I see no point in going long distances; say 100 miles from the entry point to get some idea of the country and its surroundings.

To those who have been camping there, are the sites simple to use and find. My passenger lady is a non walker so we would have to be self sufficient most of the time, finding food like supermarkets should be OK as I can walk miles. We could of course stay at an hotel if camping became a problem. Is general shopping and fuel paid by cash or cards?

We are 3500kgs by weight. What about site facilities etc, are there food shops on sites?

Mike

Guest Tracker

In Sweden as in Norway but no so much in Denmark the right to roam and camp allows you much freedom to park up anywhere where you are not withingn 100 meters of a house or causing an obstruction and where there are no other signs to the contrary so you may not always need a site - unless you prefer to use them!

The landscape of Sweden certainly within a hundred or two miles from Denmark is not that different to Denmark - but the currency is a different Kroner / Krona / Kronar - can't remember which. Credit cards usually but not always work universally though so it might be an idea to check with a filling station cashier first before buying a tank full of diesel you can't pay for. I always try to keep the tank no less than half full just in case - except when we ran out of fuel in the middle of nowhere in Finland - but that's a different story!

We found the Norwegian, Finnish and Swedish people much more helpful friendly and outgoing and happy to use English than the Danes but that was just our perception and may not always apply?

To see any real difference you really need to get across to the Baltic coast but even that can be pretty samey all the way up into Finland. On the West side it does not change that much untill well North of Oslo although of course being new to you both routes will have plenty of interes by way of towns and villages etc. We were amazed at how much like home a lot of Western Sweden is!

Guest JudgeMental

we travelled up to Swedish Lapland on the two visits we have made. I found Denmark countryside very much like England and not particularly interesting.

Swedish coast, lakes and pine trees its really lovely and we want to go back. The north with Sami Indian reservations and camping by lakes reminded me of American west coast wilderness but with smaller trees and it is so peaceful.....

Guest Tracker
Lord Raindrop - 2010-02-12 7:45 PM

And the friendly mosquitos? Are they attracted to us as in Scotland?

We were there in June and early July and did not have any problem with mossies or midgies in Norway or Sweden but Finland was rife and they were BIG and thirsty too - but only when the sun shone which was most days!

Thanks for the replies again, sounds like a must do journey. Our Passports run out later this year and I doubt we will renew.

Time is on our side so we may well just go until we've had enough or the medication runs out, say two months.

Neither of us are sun worshipers but we do like other cultures. Hopefully the laptop will work to send a story.

Mike

And then of course if one is going all that way simply to look at limited scenery such as the roads and their side views of fields, forests and houses......................

The Panoramio mobile camera crews have been there before us, and have produced excellent pictures, and we ask ourselves perhaps in the light of age, fatigue and cost, why do we go at all?

The wild adventures, wild camping, wild get-aways are not so wild anymore!

Guest JudgeMental

Oops! forgot about the mossies.........The sky can be full of them but we did not get bitten more then around the Med :-S

Sweden south of Stockholm is pretty flat (like in the TV Wallander series) with the exception of coastal regions east and west. north of Goteburg is very nice

Archived