Car insurance young driver

johnnerontheroad

Guest Tracker

Internet search engines, Direct Line, Aviva (Norwich Union as was - heaven alone knows why they changed it!) or local or internet broker.

Try googling 'insurance young driver'?

Guest Tracker
I do sympathise but when I bought my first car the insurance too cost me more than the car and the car was only twenty quid - and I was earning six quid a week - sorry, but nothings changed - just bigger numbers - c'est la vie I'm afraid.

Unfortunately you son will pay for the stupidity of others of his age. You only have to look round at the screech of a handbrake turn or the squeal of car tyres as some idiot races another idiot from the Traffic lights to realise that the drivers are not in their 30's, 40's, 50's, or 60's!

I drive sensibly and I pay just £208 a year for comprehensive protected No Claims, with hire car, legal help and cover whilst abroad at no extra cost. Mind you I have not had a claim against me for over 20 years.

You son will just have to pay the premium befitting his age. So old age does have some compensations!

As for who to go with. - It seems to me that many of the cheaper providers are only interested in giving out certificates to make it legal for someone to drive. Their Financial Strength and Claims Paying History are often appalling. People should realise that a company with little money behind it because the charge cheap premiums will not have the financial ability to pay out easily and so will fight every way they can not to pay out. So you pays your money and you takes your choice.

I would suggest a good independent broker may be able to help as they will have claims paying history tables and various ratings of companies financial strength.

The Co-operative Insurance people were very competitive when my son was young. They are a good strong insurance company as well.

But to be honest - most companies just do not want the aggro of insuring young drivers.

Hi,

I don't know if this will work ...... let me know if it does.

Buy another car for yourself. Insure it in your name, using your NCB (70%? 75%). Declare your son as the ONLY driver. That way, the premium will be higher than if you were the named driver, but the NCB reduces the premium dramatically.

Take out a new policy on your present car. You will not have any NCB, so premium will be higher than at present, but hopefully it will be less than what your son would have paid if doing things the conventional way. You might get a 10% reduction for having two cars insured with the same company.

Better still, If Granny has full NCB, and has decided its time to hang up her driving gloves............

Direct Line advertise (or did) that a named driver can earn the same NCB as the owner of the car, when it is time to take out their own policy. I believe FORTIS will give you your existing NCB on your second car.

Be warned! Young drivers also tend to park their cars in convenient places for nefarious characters who have missed the last bus. Buy him a Lada or Volvo. :-D

The son would have to be the named second driver - not the only driver.

Otherwise the NCB of the car owner would not apply.

Sadly - the insurance companies have "seen it all before!".

And believe me - the very last thing you want to do is to set cover up in what could be construed in law as being fraudulent. Because if the son has an accident and it was his fault - guess who would be picking up the tab if the insurance company declares the cover it offered null and void? :-( :-( :-( - i.e. - whose name is on the fradulent policy?

Anyone fancy putting their home etc on the line to just to save a few hundred £'s?

Your choice but I would not do it.

:-|

Try Liverpool Victoria. They were competitive for my wife and my 20 year old son, neither who had any NCB.

Also, if you are members of any clubs e.g. CSMA, you might get family discount.

You need to read the small print carefully because many insurers insist that the main driver is the one that does the most driving. Such firms could disallow a claim if it proves the main driver is little more than a surrogate.

As W3526602 has said, when both my son and my daughter first started driving,my daghter some years after my son, we were able to buy a second car policy from the company I was insured with (I believe it was Direct Line at the time) who 'mirrored' my existing policy discount (70%) but without the bonus protection but a completely seperate policy. The named driver on the policy was stated as the main driver and this had very little effect on the policy cost. They both gained their own NCD for each year that they were on the policy and were given an enhanced starter bonus after the first year which meant that they got full NCD very quickly, after about three years in fact and were then able to transfer this to their own policy which actually did cost them slightly more but it was nowhere near the cost of them starting from nothing.

So my advice would be to see what your current insurers are able to offer to help OR change to a company that can help.

Bas

The son would have to be the named second driver - not the only driver.

Otherwise the NCB of the car owner would not apply.

Sadly - the insurance companies have "seen it all before!".

Hi,

That is the situation I was trying to avoid. As far as I know, there is no requirement for the owner/keeper of a car to have a driving licence, or be able to drive. My suggestion was to keep everything above board, but take advantage of a potential NCB.

The proposal asks the name of the owner of the car, then asks the name of the driver.

I first met this circa 1973, when a woman complained that her chaufeur was now the registered keeper of her car. I didn't see the outcome. :-(

Archived