Raskelf Duvalay

david lloyd

Hi everyone

Sleeping bags are due for renewal soon so we thought about replacing them with Raskelf Duvalays which would help smooth out the cushion joint on our twin single beds.

However, when we had the Knaus Sun Ti, with a longitudinal fixed rear bed, I bought a 2" memory foam mattress topper which worked fine as far as comfort was concerned but, after some time, the topper started to crack and split where the mattress beneath had a (longitudinal) join.

Does anyone who uses the Raskelf know if that has occurred or is showing any signs of undue wear like that?

Thanks in advance,

David

Guest Tracker
We have had the duvalays since June last year and only had about 40 or so nights so far but they are warm and comfortable with no signs of wear as yet and they do seem to work well for us. Not cheap but no regrets as yet.

We purchased 2 single Duvalays in 2004 and spent approximately 280 nights using them on single settee beds. They were in perfect condition when we stopped using them in 2008 and are now on our guest beds at home.

We found that they were unsuitable after Kay had her replacement hip operations, she was getting too hot. We ceased using them when we bought a motor home with a fixed mattress.

Regards,

Mike.

Thanks Richard and Mike

We are used to the heat generated by Memory Foam mattresses as we have used them in the van before and have one at home - our present high tog sleeping bags are also very warm!

I think it may be a little more relevent now as the new IH Tio RL we have seems so much warmer than our previous Tio - but there is always the roof light(s) for regulating air flow.

The new van had a good test when the big freeze occurred just before Christmas as we found ourselves beneath ten inch of snow and with night time temperatures of -6 at Grassington - I'm much more reassured by the lack of deterioration in the Duvalay though - especially in Mike's examples. There are, of course, many types of memory foam and the topper I had before may well have been a poorer quality than that used by Raskelf.

Let's see what Peterborough Show offers!

Thanks again,

David

david lloyd - 2010-02-15 5:51 PM

Thanks Richard and Mike

We are used to the heat generated by Memory Foam mattresses as we have used them in the van before and have one at home - our present high tog sleeping bags are also very warm!

I think it may be a little more relevent now as the new IH Tio RL we have seems so much warmer than our previous Tio - but there is always the roof light(s) for regulating air flow.

The new van had a good test when the big freeze occurred just before Christmas as we found ourselves beneath ten inch of snow and with night time temperatures of -6 at Grassington - I'm much more reassured by the lack of deterioration in the Duvalay though - especially in Mike's examples. There are, of course, many types of memory foam and the topper I had before may well have been a poorer quality than that used by Raskelf.

Let's see what Peterborough Show offers!

Thanks again,

David

Hi David,

was intrested to hear your topper cracked.

We bought a 2 inch memory foam topper from Raskelf at the Shepton Mallet show last summer wife noticed cracks in it already.

not that impressive for the money you pay.

Cheers Min

They are brilliant. Easy to roll up and put away in the front overhead lockers (fit perfectly) Easy to wash and replace the covers (once you have done it a few times). Yes they are a lot of money, but they save on a fixed bed and what does that cost? If you find the heat build up is a problem (it hasn't been for us) why not remove the duvet and just have the sheet + a thin blanket on top.

Hi min663

The topper I purchased before was from a source on Ebay and could quite well have been an inferior quality material to the Raskelf product. I think the crack occured largely as a result of lifting one half of the (fixed) double bed mattress to get into the locker beneath. So I am hoping that the much gentler method of rolling the duvalay up will ensure it is not being put under the same pressure.

Hi Porky

Have to agree about the alternative to a fixed bed. We had one in the Knaus and thought it was absolutely brilliant but we did want to move to a panel van and the new IH Tio RL with its' single bed option is just right. I don't think the heat reflection from the foam will be a problem - we will only use the 4.5 tog duvet even in winter - but would like to retain the memory foam mattress just for the comfort they offer. Unfortunately, the overcab locker door is quite shallow but there is laods of space below the single beds.

David

Another thought look at IKEA mattress toppers, not cheap but cheaper than Raskelf. They come in a variety of thicknesses and widths and will iron out any bumps in the seats when sleeping. We use 50mm ones for single bed use with a fitted sheet on top. One is 30 inches wide and one 42 inches wide. We have used them for over four years and they are as good as new, we use them 120 nights a year. They can be rolled or folded.

David.

I see from your text that you are going from double to single beds.

Is it not possible to use your existing one from the double bed. If it is splitting down the middle it may be possible to cut the double version into two.

The covers could be re-edged with a single seam (like a pillow) where you cut it. There should be enough material in the cover to do this if the foam is cut slightly under half the width of the double version.

I don't know whether you or YBH is good with a sewing machine.

JohnP - 2010-02-20 4:34 PM

David.

I see from your text that you are going from double to single beds.

Is it not possible to use your existing one from the double bed. If it is splitting down the middle it may be possible to cut the double version into two.

The covers could be re-edged with a single seam (like a pillow) where you cut it. There should be enough material in the cover to do this if the foam is cut slightly under half the width of the double version.

I don't know whether you or YBH is good with a sewing machine.

Hi JohnP

Thanks for the suggestion - we are considering doing just what you say but I was just a little concerned about the quality of the memory foam topper that has already cracked.

It's still at the back of our minds but we will see if Raskelf have an offer on at Peterborough before deciding.

Many thanks,

David

I had a Raskelf in my Knaus and the hinged bed did not cause the topper mattress to crack/split in the two years I had it.

Now use it in a Hymer with a fixed bed which is on the opposite side so I am having to use the topper upside down.

Raskelf seems a good buy IMHO even at about £100. I think the topper you had may have been inferior quality.

When foam rubber (Dunlopillo) first came on to the market in the 50's it was said to have a memory, in that it returned to its original shape once a load was removed from it.

Since then we have had synthetic foam in many different types and densities.

Mel B - 2010-02-22 6:42 PM

David

Have you contact Raskelf about this? I wouldn't have thought it should have cracked so may indeed be a faulty one and something they are aware of, worth a try, you never know you MIGHT get a new one or a good discount.

Hi MelB

My original post may have been a bit misleading. The 'old' double size memory foam mattress topper was not a Raskelf product. It was one I bought on Ebay and cut to the shape/size of the Knaus double bed. It worked well as a topper but, for some reason (maybe dubious quality), it cracked down the middle.

Now we have the two single bed settees in the new van and are thinking of replacing our old sleeping bags we may take the opportunity to replace them with the Raskelf Duvalays as they do seem to be very good quality.

David

Archived