help on trip to spain

duetto owner

The wife wants to go away for 3 weeks [sept] down to spain.

I was thinking of the fast ferry at portsmouth during the night, how far should i aim for during the day through france need a recommended site with hookup, shower toilet shower etc.

then 2 -3 sites in spain to stay [open minded where in spain at present but by coast and near town]

then advice again back through france.

we have a tomtom for directions.

How far you get will depend very much on how much you are prepared to spend. If money is no object and time is important then use the motorways and pay, put your foot down and you can probably do 600 miles a day with both driving for 12 to 14 hours. We take things very easy and try for a maximum of 250 miles a day, use the N roads and spend the nights on free or very cheap aires. But time is not so important for us as we usually have 6 weeks per trip and a week each way poses no problems for us. If you are going north of the Pyrenees I would recommend La Rouletta near St Jean de Luz, it's used by many Brits on the way to and from Spain.

Hi Duetto

You say the fast ferry from Portsmouth at night? Do you mean the Fast Cat? I think you will find this does not run at night. (to Cherbourg) There will be a 24hr crossing from Portsmouth to Santander. Brittany are transfering some (or maybe all) Poole ferries to Portsmouth, so there will be more choice. we always use the Fast Cat to Cherbourg, takes 3hrs, cost more than going from Dover, but as we live 10mins from the port, it saves a lot of miles, and is worth the extra cost to us.Would also recommend the ACSI book for sites. Enjoy your trip.

PJay

Are you a member of CCC if so there is a rally in Spain for all September

and it is not far over border from France and the site is by the beach with

lots of interesting places arround. I always use the Dover/Calais crossing

and you can get there in 3 days

thanks for the tips, I am the only driver, i will lookup st jean in the pyrennes, want a channel crossing looking at the fast 3hr crossing [not had a portsmouth ferry before always used dover] do not want the long ferry to spain.

will use motorways to cover more distance to spain.

is the fast crossing not 24 hr, how often does it cross?

where do i get a asci campsite book, will look in smiths and high st bk shops.

Have a look at this website.  http://tinyurl.com/yjpdspm

I'd check any of the prices with the companies themselves before booking, though, because they may have special offers.  As you will see, you can select a "non Dover" option, that gives you all of the western routes from Newhaven to Poole.  Anything sub 3 hours is a fast ferry, the others are all regular ferries.  Remember that the fast ferries are more prone to disruption from weather, and break down more often!  :-)

As you will see, there is a very wide variation in prices for different departure points/prices.  Early booking is likely to get you a better price than waiting.

It will take you about one week to complete the return journey to Spain, giving you about two weeks there, provided you don't try to get too far west.

The alternative would be Brittany Ferries direct to Santander.  Nominally 24 hours on board, so you arrive the next day.  Expensive, but you'd save about 4 days overall.  However you can't use your fridge on board as gas is forbidden, mains aren't available (so far as I know), and 12 V (even if it were available with the engine off) would be dead long before you arrive!  So, a stock-up on arrival would be necessary.

Spain is big: you can't really visit "Spain".  You need to pick an area.  North or South first, because that will influence your route through France.  Then, as your time will be limited, unless you enjoy the driving, areas as far west as perhaps the Picos de Europa in the north, or Salou on the Med.

Once you have decided where, and when, you will arrive, and which bit of Spain you will target, the best route will become obvious from a decent map.

I note that you do not want to use the long ferry to Spain, but as Brian has mentioned it, a good way to keep things cold / fresh on a long crossing is to put frozen bottles of milk and / or water in the fridge before you go.

We did this on a 26 hour crossing Newcastle / Gothenburg and didn't lose any 'perishables'

duetto owner - 2010-02-18 10:17 AM

malc

the long crossing to spain from portsmouth how long would it take, is the bay of biscay calmer in sept, the wife says she might give it a try after reading the posts we could then try the coast of northen spain instead of the med.

I understand that the ferries to northern Spain take about 24 hours - you could always confirm on the Brittany Ferries website - I haven't been on that route myself. We have always driven down, as we don't fancy the bay of Biscay at any time of the year, not being good sailors.

We have toured along the north west coast of Spain which we enjoyed.

There is also some great scenery ( and walks ) inland in the Pecos mountains. It's a bit greener there because they get more rain than further south.

just been to the web for the ferry £790 return, still in shock at the price.

with the gas is it a case you cannot use it or are you not allowed to carry onto the boat.

but at that price having another look at portsmouth, better get a quote too there as well, if thats a rip of too then its a cheapy crossing at dover.

I have used these routes to Spain several times and, yes, the Bay of Biscay can be rough - if too rough the captains go out into the Atlantic - but remember these are very big ships so they ride well and it is a relaxing way to start your holiday.

Remember though that P & O are stopping this service on 27 Septmeber and IF you were taking an animal it would have to be Brittany Ferries anyway.

Gas bottles are allowed but they have to be turned off.

duetto owner - 2010-02-18 3:26 PM

but at that price having another look at portsmouth, better get a quote too there as well, if thats a rip of too then its a cheapy crossing at dover.

Calais to Bilbao return is 1500 miles, depending on what your preferences are regarding roads.

Plus your mileage on the UK side x 2.

Each to their own but say 1700 miles, average speed of say 50 mph = 34 hours driving, and that's without any breaks of course.

Hope you like your dashboard :D

Martyn

I have only been on two sites in Spain - both in St Pere Pescador, very close to the French border. Las Palmeras is a family owned site and very well run, spotless loos etc. and the last time I went there the restaurant was good too. I visited this site many times, often out of season. L'Amfora is nextdoor as the crow flies but it is much bigger and I have only visited it in the height of the season. However, we have always had huge hedged pitches with our own sanitary block at the furthest end of the site nearest to the sea. This has been peaceful although quite a walk in the heat to the restaurants etc. Both sites have nice pools and employ security guards.

Hi, Mysuggestion would be Portsmouth Le Havre overnight hoping you get a smooth crossing, and book a cabin to get some sleep.

Routeing to med coast of spain just around Barcelona approx 750 miles via rouen (outskirts) Evreux, Dreux, Chartres Orleans then choice of motorways to spanish border. I prefer motorway via Clermont ferrand, and Millau bridge then Beziers, Narbonne to spanish border.

Motorway south of clermont is free to beziers and maybe beyond with dramatic scenery.

2 nights aires in france and arrive night 3 south of barcelona (Castel de fells or sitges for example)

I find Brittany Ferries terribly expensive against LD from Portsmouth, not sure if P&O are still doing any from Portsmouth and Brittany are pulling out from Poole (already gone???). Dover crossings definitely cheaper, but approx 300 miles extra for us so cost evens out

However you do it, enjoy yourselves and take care driving.

tonyg3nwl

edit ps, chartres municipal campsite, and plenty sites in Millau area.numerous sites on French med coast but check closing dates. Most tend to close mid Sept so return sites might be a snag. Suggsest motorway Aires might be a bit more risky so I tend to go off motorway and find a quieter aire . Millau Aire I have used ok.

tonyg3nwl

In September I did Plymouth (very close to Exeter) to Santander and took 4 days very comfortable driving on my own to get to Torre del Mar near Malaga via Burgos, around Madrid and south on the A4 E5 then A44 E902 around Granada and turn right at Motril. The weather is so much more reliable (and warmer) here than the north. With two driving you would do it in three days comfortably, it's pretty much motorway all the way. If you do go this way and use sat nav be carefull at Motril they have just completed a new road system and our TT took us the wrong way. I soon realised and followed the signs instead Doh*-)

Roy Fuller

been in a bit of a dither about spain, now after tips from readers decided on portsmouth fast crossing to cherbourg.

drive through france and head to barcelona tarragona region, want somewhere where there is a town within walking distance and a beach within walking distance.

any one recommend any sites they stayed at down that way.

Hi David

Can recommend the Portsmouth/Cherbourg crossing on the fast cat.

We use it (live insight of the ferry terminal) We have to back on , and are usually last on, hence first off at Cherbourg.(our height 3mtrs) I sugest you use the Acsi book for sites, saves a lot of euros.Also the caravan club europe1 is good value for sites in Spain. we went for 12 weeks last year, and will be returning this May for the same.

PJay

duetto owner - 2010-02-19 10:37 AM

been in a bit of a dither about spain, now after tips from readers decided on portsmouth fast crossing to cherbourg.

drive through france and head to barcelona tarragona region, want somewhere where there is a town within walking distance and a beach within walking distance.

any one recommend any sites they stayed at down that way.

Camping 3 Estrella at Garva Mar just to the south of Barcelona is worth checking. See if it still takes Camping Cheques. There is also a frequent and cheap bus service to the city. Beware of bogus policemen near the bus stop. We were stopped (3 years ago) and asked if we had any English money. The bogus policeman gave up when he realized that we had sussed him.

Further north is Camping Aquarius at St Pere Pescadore - a lovely site in a lovely area. A good cycle ride along the beach cycle track or an easy van drive to the Greek and Roman ruins.

Further south (just south of Tarragona) we stayed at the superb Cambrils Park. We enjoyed the walk along the beach to Cambrils.

Really I would recommend you buy the camping club Camping Europe books. Book1 covers France and Spain. You get details of the sites and comments from CC members You should find all the ideas you need and can identify what YOU AND YOUR WIFE think are suitable sites. Then check whether any are them are part of the ACSI or Camping Cheques scheme. With a good guide book and a good atlas you will then be set to plan YOUR holiday.

All the best

Archived