Definition of an awning?

J9withdogs

We have a Movelite drive away awning & really its just a free standing tent with a bit of extra material that connects it to the van. Often we don't bother doing this & it looks as if it is just a tent. Very rarely use sites so can't comment on what they would say, can't you attach a piece of material to it then it becomes a free standing drive away awning (lol)

We use a small 2 man tent for storage occasionally when on site. When asked on arrival(usually in Britain) if we are using an awning and I mention the small tent for storage it never has been a problem. I think it was at a Caravan Club site I was told it was OK as long as no none was sleeping in it.

It has never been an issue on Continental sites.

Hi Janine, we own a Suncamp storage tent and whilst it's not a traditional tent, it occupies a similar footprint to say a 2 person tent, even larger of course height wise.

On the odd occasion we've used it here in the UK, no problem at all but that will have been on CC sites, perhaps you may have issues with commercial sites though.

It never even gets a second glance at it when used in France.

Martyn

We have "kitchen tent" which we have used for general holiday storage when we have had the grandchildren. On a commercial site in Dorset they wanted an extra £3.50 per night on top of the £27.00 per night but waved the extra fee if we erected it under the wind out awning - a little odd we thought when next to us a trailer tent had that many extentions it completly filled his pitch.

we were on a site in aberaron which we put out 2 of the two seconed quick set up tents for the boys .the following morning the site warden said we had to remove the 2 tents but if we had sides for the wind out awning we could put them inside ,i could not beliieve what he was asking me ,but did as we were asked not to have any hassle.

Archived