Snow on the beach... blog update

neilmac

Arriving in the dark we found Marine Parade in Dover to be an ideal spot for overnighting before, or after, a ferry crossing. There are no services but its free. About a dozen vans were there at the same time as us so it seems very popular.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20100215-_MG_4833.jpg

The morning daylight confirmed what a great spot this is! Just a stone's throw from the beach and with a great view of Dover harbour with all its ferry comings and goings whilst enjoying breakfast. I wanted to try out a new lens on my camera so I stepped down onto the rock hard frozen pebble beach to capture the wintry beach scene.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20100215-_MG_4835.jpg

Now let us get this straight Neil. You did say this is a free motorhome stop-over, overlooking a beach, next to a major port and it's in the UK? Sounds too good to be true, so a silly second question - Are you absolutely sure there are no NO PARKING or NO OVERNIGHT PARKING sign around?

Sounds as if your trip is off to a good start - enjoy the rest of it.

Vernon

PS this is not a casual enquiry we're hoping to be down that way very shortly.

Vernon B - 2010-02-17 11:57 AM

Now let us get this straight Neil. You did say this is a free motorhome stop-over, overlooking a beach, next to a major port and it's in the UK? Sounds too good to be true, so a silly second question - Are you absolutely sure there are no NO PARKING or NO OVERNIGHT PARKING sign around?

Vernon, whilst no doubt being at risk of the wrath of many on here for letting you in on this little nugget, yes you can park there.

No it's not free motorhome stopover, it's a quiet residential road with no overnight restrictions, well none that I've ever seen but doubtless someone will put me wise if there are??

Usual common sense rules apply, no visible signs of camping on your van and you're ok. The Police patrol regularly throuout the night, or at least they have when we've stayed there.

Martyn

If you park on there don't try and do a U turn as you could end up loosing half your back end on one of the concrete bollards they have along there.

First time away in van, great start it was :'( never did that again, always gone by the tunnel and stay well away from Dover :-D

Mandy

Marine Parade in Dover does indeed allow overnight parking for motorhomes and caravans, in fact there are signs showing which part of the road you are permitted to park overnight on.

We've used it a lot and it really is a good overnight stop, we've never had any bother there at all except when we parked too near one of the night clubs and the noise kept us awake until around midnight (they had the front doors open).

This is a photo of Dover in the early morning ...

dover.thumb.jpg.22d888f80735cd99c031bd1056f51032.jpg

Good morning :-D

Lordthornber - Yes, very Brrrr! But nice and snug in the van ;-)

Berti - Yes, very Brrrr! Glad things have warmed up for you both outside and inside the van ;-)

Vernon B - Yes, as others have said its perfectly legal and very convenient but as it seems to be a well (up to now) secret don't tell others about it *-)

MandyandAndy - Ah, so it was you! When we arrived, the occupant of the van in front of us warned us about U turns as he had seen someone damage their van doing so - we were very careful ;-)

Mickt - 6pm to 9am is legal, then you need to disply a ticket if you want to stay longer. Both a policeman and a Traffic Warden confirmed this.

Mel B - nice atmospheric shot :-D Lots to watch while having breakfast.

We're working our way down through France at the moment. Having to search for water a bit, although this was expected a bit following berti's information on his thread.

Villaines les Roches this morning heading for a small aire at Nersac later where we would normally get free leccy and water so, we'll see. Mimizan Plage the next day for maybe a day or two depending on the weather.

Lots more detail on our blog.

Until our next wifi....

Archived