Another Toyota recall

rupert123

Get an old one like mine. 23 Yrs old and still going strong. A Supra 1987 3Ltr only 28 to the gallon but still economical compared to buying a new one.

The difference between Toyota and Fiat is that when Toyota find a fault they issue a recall and fix every last one of them, whereas Fiat just deny it's existence.

Then, when it becomes absolutely clear to everyone that it does exist they still deny it, but put in place an inadequate solution which will barely do the job, and continue to deny the fault exists.

Toyota have a reputation to save, whereas Fiat..............

peter - 2010-02-17 10:31 PM

Get an old one like mine. 23 Yrs old and still going strong. A Supra 1987 3Ltr only 28 to the gallon but still economical compared to buying a new one.

Agree about the Supra, great car. I once had a twin turbo which I imported from Japan.

And Mine,owned from new, a 1997 Rav4 GX 5 door, 2 sets of front disc's and 2 new rear shock absorbers and NOTHING else, apart from normal servicing bits and pieces. in 126000 miles. Without doubt the most reliable vehicle i have ever owned/driven in nearly 50 years of motoring. And that includes Mercedes,BMW, Volkswagen and others. Oh! and yes I did have a Fiat once, possibly the worst.

With all the negative media attention directed at Toyota, they ARE reliable, and when they make a mistake (or several) they PUT IT RIGHT, Whatever the cost ! I just wish that they made Motorhome base Vehicles, preferably up in their Burneston Plant in the UK, that would be just perfect. And I would buy one. Ray

Guest Tracker

We too have a Rav4 - our second - and in a mere five years we have spent NOTHING except for fuel and servicing and a pair of wipers on either with one now showing 48,000 miles and the previous one sold at 65,000 miles.

Will I buy another Toyota - you are darned right I will - brilliant cars - does EXACTLY what it says on the tin - and the dealers are polite, knowledgeable, and helpful!

We have a Toyota also, but I am encouraged by the lengths the company are prepared to go to in order that the faults are rectified and do not occur again.

My car is not affected by the current recalls thankfully. Would I buy another Toyota?........You bet I would!!

Would I buy another Fiat/ Peugeot based motorhome?.......Not bl**dy likely when I read all the reports on this forum and talk to others who have problems with their vehicles!!!!

Most of us judge cars/motorhomes on personal experience, sometimes on the experience of others. My own experience with Toyota is good and I have had several, two Landcruiser's, one Supra, one Celica but all were pre 1999. I have had two Fiat M/H,s the current one bought in 2008 that has been 100% reliable, on the base vehicle side, as was the first one. However would I buy a Toyota today, no I would not, could not take the risk with brake failures, steering failures and accelerator failures. Do not care if the dealers are first class, if they repair or recall them, when you are dead after the fatal accident you are in no postion to take the car back. I would also point out they denied anything was wrong at first but they had the misfortune that the problems happened in the USA where they take a dim view of this sort of thing. It is touching the faith some of you have in car makers, they are all the same when problems occur, anything they can get away with. Would I buy another Fiat, well I would but not before carefull checking of the reverse situation, mine is fine but I fully accept that some are not.

Toyota have been the best cars for many years. The Corolla gets to be the most sold car most of the time. Would I buy one today? No I would not, as they are all boring, as are all modern cars. The heyday of car production were the 80's. Toyota made some beautiful cars then, the Supra, Celica, Corolla rear wheel drive, MR2. Those were the days, before all this climate change nonsense.

I have a 1993 Toyota Corolla, from new. Still got the original SS exhaust

Looks good still. 36,000 miles on the clock, passes MOT no problem. The old cars will last longer than a lot of the new cars of to-day.It will probably out last me!!

PJay

Dealers today consider cars made now to to disposable items. They don't want them to last for 20Yrs. So much for our so called carbon footprint. A 20Yr old car that does 25 to the gallon is still more environmentally friendly than a new car every 3 Years.

Peter,

I am in Total agreement with you, i think that a lot of very servicable vehicles have been scrapped early , just to keep smoke coming out of the car factories chimneys. I am totally cynical about anything 'them in charge' talk about as being 'Green' now. I believe well engineered vehicles should be designed to last 20 years BY LAW ! there is nothing greener than that ! (except going back to horses !) Ray

peter - 2010-02-20 8:33 PM

But if it was Fiat they would be denying that there's any problem at all, (probably).

The LA Times has reported that since the 2002 model year, accidents and incidents involving uncontrolled and sudden accelerations in Toyota® and Lexus® vehicles have been linked to 19 deaths. Federal officials have stated that the 19 deaths reported are more than all of the other auto manufacturers combined. It is believed that there are two separate types of events that cause these sudden acceleration incidents; defective floor mats that cause the gas pedal to depressed and faulty gas pedals themselves.

In August of 2009, a tragic example of one of these crashes occurred when a California Police Officer and three of his family member were killed in a tragic accident involving a Lexus® in which the gas pedal allegedly stuck causing the vehicle to run off the road, resulting in the death of all passengers. This incident caused a public outcry for further investigations into these alleged incidents.

There have been many other tragic accidents involving Toyota® and Lexus® vehicles in which the drivers or passengers have been seriously injured or killed. One independent expert in vehicle safety of Safety and Research Strategies, has found more than 2100 Toyota® incidents involving sudden acceleration. Many of the incidents were with vehicles that did not have floor mats.

Toyota® has denied sudden acceleration problems in their vehicles for a number of years and even when they acknowledged it could be a problem officials at the National Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) scolded the company for allegedly providing “inaccurate and misleading” statements.

AND YOU THINK FIAT ARE BAD TOYOTA HAVE KNOWN ABOUT SOME DANGERS SINCE 2002 !

Archived