Suggestions for coachbuilt about 18ft / 5.5m max

anthonyj

We need to be less than 5.5m for the driveway and the wife doesn't like panel vans! Hoping for 3-4 berth and 4 belted seats - probably overcab bed model. The magazines help for new models but looking for used

Have already identified Wingamm 520N as a possibility.

Any other suggestions?

Based in Nottingham and have cash ready for the right van if yours fits the bill!!

Hello all, I have just registered - very helpful site to get useful 'techy' advice and info.

Have you thought about the Hymer Exsis - it's a bit unique, and not many of them. It is one of the shortest around at 5.45 metres long and only marginally wider than the Ducato cab - it is high though at 3.0 m.

It goes and parks anywhere and runs on a whiff of diesel.

I have had mine for 3 years, upsized from a small camper- loads more space inside than a large panel van. Mine is the SG version, that is a half dinette and bench seat that with the swivel cab seats can seat 6 around the table. The seats convert to a large double bed and you can close off the cab with a curtain, then of course there is the huge roof bed, ideal napping on a long journey. Loads of storage space and full width wardrobe /shower/toilet across rear - all water is inboard, so winterproof, it's a real 'tardis'. It is unusual, so you do need to think it through and you will get loads of interest and viewings.-There is a website for the few owners that there are 'exsisowners.web.com' . We made the right choice for us - best wishes in your quest.

Fred

We bought our Elddis Autoquest 100 (registered March 2004) in June 2006 and have been very pleased with it.

Need to watch your payload as max weight is under 3 tonnes but it has been great for two of us and we have no desire to change it.

We have carried two passengers once or twice but never used it to sleep four - we use the Luton for storage.

Compass Avantgarde 100 is basically the same, different trim.

Graham

Anthony

Over the years quite a few manufacturers have produced short coachbuilt motorhomes that might meet your requirements. The vehicles have tended to fall into the Exsis/Wingamm design-type that use a 'roof bed' of some sort, or employ a more conventional 'overcab' arrangement. Of the latter type, Knaus produced the Sport Traveller 500 (5 metres long, 2 + 1 berths and 4 belted seats) and the 501 (5.4m long, 3 berths and 6 belted seats). Both models incorporated a vast overcab bed, a clever rear bathroom, plentiful storage and (when the Fiat 2.3litre motor was fitted) a 3500kg chassis. I think production ceased in 2006, which may be earlier than you are looking for.

There was a 6-page test report of a Wingamm Oasi 540N in MMM magazine October 2007. Wingamm motorhomes are very nicely made and their price reflects this. If you are considering buying one, it would be worth you establishing from the vendor what the current situation is in the UK regarding warranties/servicing, obtaining spare parts, etc.

Well thanks to everyone for their help and just to let you all know that we are now sorted. we found an ex demo model 09 version Compass avantgarde 100 yesterday at a price too good to miss. Ticks all of our other boxes and apparently can be replated to 3300Kg although I suspect we won't need to as I have been on a diet....

Archived