Mid Life Crisis

LordThornber

Well not so much crisis.

2 friends of mine, (yes I do have 2 :D ), both have recently fulfilled their mid life "needs" and bought themselves Jaguars, that's the car of course not the growler.

It's utter madness I know, but I've found myself with similar urges, i.e. to treat myself to something along those lines.

It's not like it's anything I need to "get out of my system" as I had a number of lovely cars in my youth.

I say madness, because of the costs to run one, but I keep getting this mad urge.

Has anyone else had these "urges", did you fulfil them and with what? Keep it clean guys :D

Martyn

Why is it that only men seem to get these mid life crisis urges, they feel the need to either buy a sports car, or even sadder, to build a kit car, which inevitably clutters up the garage for years and is eventually sold for peanuts without ever getting on the road.

Worse still are the born again bikers who think that because they rode a Bonniville 750 without killing themselves back in the 70s, they can buy themselves a modern 750 machine and ride it the same way. *-)

Guest Tracker

Donna - men have even less chance of understanding women so just be glad that you are a woman and don't even try to understand men!

Martin - I had a 1999 S Type V6 3.0 Jag for a while a few years back and I loved it to bits - all that wood and leather, and it had the capacity to either purr along gently or, when in the mood, growl and go like a scalded cat!

Unfortunately it was troublesome - very - and in the end I sold it to get some relief from either working on it, not being able to use it, or worrying that it might 'fail to proceed' when I was using it! But I do miss the evocative retro styling and feel of the car and will have another one day. But it will be a post 2002 car next time as they were revised and have much improved reliability and refinement. Mind you an XK would be fun but they do cost a lot more!

Hello, my ears are burning !.

Got to be one of those quad bikes for me Martyn, and ever since i had a go of one down on my cousin Jack's smallholding i,ve been hooked. Searching for a lost youth, perhaps, but can't remember the last time I had so much fun and spent the whole afternoon exploring the local lanes and countryside with a big smile on my face. Could afford one at a push, and get this, the wife loved it as well, and what a great idea for towing behind the van.

canam.jpg.d3b3836adc9e8b136a6f39ab77f2970d.jpg

LordThornber - 2010-02-19 1:55 PMGreat stuff so far. Rich, funny enough the S Type is what's nagging at me. I think (hope), I might be able to stretch to an 02/03 but I can feel Lady T digging her claws in already 8-) Keep 'em comingMartyn

You are aware I hope that a Jaguar S Type is just a Ford Mondeo in a different skin? No real car enthusiast would be seen dead in one!

Guest Tracker
GypsyTom - 2010-02-19 2:14 PMYou are aware I hope that a Jaguar S Type is just a Ford Mondeo in a different skin? No real car enthusiast would be seen dead in one!

Not quite right Tom! The X type was built on a modified Mondeo platform and was none the worse for that as the Mondeo platform of the era was one of the best around. The S type was built on a modified Lincoln (Ford of America) platform which was heavily modified by Jaguar experts to make it suitable for the sporty luxury ride that many of us prefer over the uncompromisingly firm ride of the otherwise bettere made but duller German offerings! The XF uses, I believe, a modified and improved version of the old S type platform and has won numerous awards for its ride and refinement so it can't all be bad! Chassis platform common development and sharing is a sensible way to share and reduce costs as long as Jaguar don't start using Fiat chassis we should all be OK!

Tracker - 2010-02-19 3:57 PM
GypsyTom - 2010-02-19 2:14 PMYou are aware I hope that a Jaguar S Type is just a Ford Mondeo in a different skin? No real car enthusiast would be seen dead in one!

Not quite right Tom! The X type was built on a modified Mondeo platform and was none the worse for that as the Mondeo platform of the era was one of the best around. The S type was built on a modified Lincoln (Ford of America) platform which was heavily modified by Jaguar experts to make it suitable for the sporty luxury ride that many of us prefer over the uncompromisingly firm ride of the otherwise bettere made but duller German offerings! The XF uses, I believe, a modified and improved version of the old S type platform and has won numerous awards for its ride and refinement so it can't all be bad! Chassis platform common development and sharing is a sensible way to share and reduce costs as long as Jaguar don't start using Fiat chassis we should all be OK!

You're absolutely right, apologies! I had a senior moment (although I'm not actually senior) and mixed up my X Type and S Type, unforgivable for someone who's a bit of a car nut!

donna miller - 2010-02-19 1:24 PM

Why is it that only men seem to get these mid life crisis urges, they feel the need to either buy a sports car, or even sadder, to build a kit car, which inevitably clutters up the garage for years and is eventually sold for peanuts without ever getting on the road.

Worse still are the born again bikers who think that because they rode a Bonniville 750 without killing themselves back in the 70s, they can buy themselves a modern 750 machine and ride it the same way. *-)

Donna

The answer to your question could be that men spend all the first half of their lives spending money on keeping the little lady happy.

They suddenly realise, in mid life, that time is passing and if they don't splash out on some of the things that they missed out on, it will be too late.

( Your little photo of a boy and a girl, on another thread, explain it very well).

;-)

ohgrandma - 2010-02-19 3:57 PM

Not for me these fast cars. I prefer the quiet life.

I would love a Chalet a few metres from the sea.

To wake in the mornings to the sound of the waves.

To stroll along the beach, and watch the sunrise.

Pure Bliss.

Ria. ( I can dream) (lol)

Pure bliss indeed Ria and showing a romantic side not seen before. Love the mountains and countryside, but to sit and listen to the waves gently lapping just feet (not metres) from your motorhome on a still summer's evening will always be my dream destination.

malc d - 2010-02-19 4:50 PM

Donna

The answer to your question could be that men spend all the first half of their lives spending money on keeping the little lady happy.

They suddenly realise, in mid life, that time is passing and if they don't splash out on some of the things that they missed out on, it will be too late.

( Your little photo of a boy and a girl, on another thread, explain it very well).

;-)

Tend to agree with Donna here Malc, and if time really is passing us by why waste it on some obsolete piece of rusting metal. Nothing again'st old car enthusiasts, but just like cookers fridges or washing machines they are built for a purpose, and once they've past their sell by date should all share the same fate. Out with the junk.

ohgrandma - 2010-02-19 5:02 PM

Love the mountains and countryside, but, the coast is my absolute dream. I guess it's because I was born in July (crab) sign. Ria. (lol)

So was I Ria (orangeman's day) and it's true we have the sea in our blood. This is interesting. What year were you born.

Guest Tracker
howie - 2010-02-19 5:06 PM

Tend to agree with Donna here Malc, and if time really is passing us by why waste it on some obsolete piece of rusting metal. Nothing again'st old car enthusiasts, but just like cookers fridges or washing machines they are built for a purpose, and once they've past their sell by date should all share the same fate. Out with the junk.

It's either that or buy a new van or let the kids inherit it - no brainer then - Jaguar here we come!

Guest Tracker
howie - 2010-02-19 5:14 PM

Mel B - 2010-02-19 5:06 PM

We've just bought ourselves some 125 scooters .... that's me and him! :$

What on earth are you going to do with 125 scooters Mel.

Could have been worse - could have been 101 dalmations, 76 trombones or 110 cornets - or even cornettos - when just one would suffice if you also have a gondola - apparently?

Sounds like my old neighbour who bombs around on a BSA Gold Star DBD34 and also owned a Suzuki Hyabusa until it threw him off and nearly killed him. He takes the Goldie to europe every year and always ends up bringing it home on the back of a truck.Good old British bikes eh. He's 66 by the way.

Tracker - 2010-02-19 5:47 PM

howie - 2010-02-19 5:14 PM

Mel B - 2010-02-19 5:06 PM

We've just bought ourselves some 125 scooters .... that's me and him! :$

What on earth are you going to do with 125 scooters Mel.

Could have been worse - could have been 101 dalmations, 76 trombones or 110 cornets - or even cornettos - when just one would suffice if you also have a gondola - apparently?

Silly boys ... 125cc of course ... although we have bought 4!!! 8-)

Hi,

Starting at age 40, I learned to ride, bought a horse, then another horse, then another ...... finished up with 5 horses, 2 donkeys, 3 goats, 2 pigs, 2 orphan lambs, several chickens and two ducks. Of course this meant I needed some land, so bought seven and a half acres of Welsh Mountain, which meant I needed that a Grey Fergie tractor, later replaced with a Suzuki 4x4 Quad. My big mare produced 3 foals. Mother and daughters lived in the coal cellar, small animals and birds lived in the garden, cockeral crowed at 2AM every morning. Did I mention I lived in a residential area?

Then I took a medical retirement at age 45, pension of £2000pa .... but my wife loves me and my pets. But I got bored, so built a 3000 sq ft house in the garden, which went over budget. Then the bank rate went up to 15%, and here's me with no job, monthly interest of £750, and a wife bringing home £1,100 a month. By 1990, we had debts of £100,000.

Crisis? What crisis? But we survived ..... hands in pockets, whistling. I wouldn't have changed it.

Archived