Fishy smell in Rapido 786F

Mimi

We really couldn't help noticing a pungent "fishy" smell in our beloved '03 Rapido 786F as we were packing up after a five day outing to Keswick. We have cleaned everything in the van to within an inch of its life, we know that we haven't left any rubbish anywhere, and we've flushed out the waste tank but we can still smell fish!

It's probably a long-shot but we were hoping that someone may have had a similar experience and, if so, perhaps they could give us a clue as to the cause?

Thank you.

;-)

First of all have you checked behind the fridge vents? Debris and all manner of stuff can get in through the vents and then rot down, not common but possible. Secondly could it be something electrical burning? Electric wire insualtion can smell like rotten fish when it gets too hot so check all the wiring for signs of burning, especially any DIY additions and their associated wiring.

D.

Mimi, Dave's post reminded me that I had a similar experience during the only spell of hot weather we encountered since 2007. Our Dometic fridge/freezer has a small plastic cup which catches condensation water via a plastic pipe. It can be accessed by removing the plastic grill on the van's exterior wall. I found that the water had become stagnant and fetid as a result of a number of dead insects and slime mould. It is secured by a single screw which is easily removed and it can then be cleaned and disinfected off the van. I do this every couple of months and will do it more often if we ever get hot weather again.

As Dave mentioned - I also found that behind the grill and around the fridge cabinet there was smellly black mould and grime which is easy to remove and disinfect. This simple house-keeping routine has eliminated the odour problem.

Worth a try if you have a similar fridge fitment.

Bob

Thank you, everyone, for your really helpful replies and suggestions - we will check everything and post a quick reply if we find out what the problem is.

Just knew someone had to mention kippers - thanks - they were delicious!

Sue and Bill. (lol)

Archived