3-way plug adapters

Bellis555

Hi

I fitted a six socket unit in the garage just for charging batteries and stuff and a single socket in the heater locker under the wardrobe for running a fan heater and they cause no problems, but you must ensure that you don't overload the circuit, just like at home. On some sites you will only get 2 amps before tripping the site supply anyway. Just use common sense.

Peter

Accepting all of the above, most motorhomes are fairly compact and use of adaptors needs caution.  The multi socket trailing lead variety should be fine, with the above provisos observed, but the older type, that just plug into a socket to take access for up to three plugs could be problematic because they, and the connected plugs, stick out and would be prone to accidental knocks and kicks.  Remember also that the mounting points of motorhome sockets are frequently much less secure than are domestic ones.  You don't want the socket coming away from the wall!

Having seen how 'unsafe' some of these 3-way 'square block' adaptors are I'd stay well clear of them personally. Much too easy to overload them and knock them, additionally sometimes the plugs won't fit properly, especially the type with built in transformers or those used for charging phones etc as they can be more bulky. I'd suggest instead getting a 1 metre 4-gang extension, they are quite cheap, usually no more than £5, and if necessary the cable can be cut to the required length and the plug put back on.

They are also very useful, though, if you have electric appliances that you may want to use outside (eg electric hotplate) as you can soon pop them out of a window to connect into.

Hello,

IMO bluebail10 has the best idea for a quick fix, then a "Trailing lead" with 2 or four sockets on the end as a second option with the three way adaptors as the final choice.

The ideal solution is to get more sockets fitted at convenient points. You will not be able to draw more current than is provided by the EHU but it does make life that bit easier. (And maybe safer)

From my limited experience of motorhomes the positioning and number of mains sockets provided by the manufs. is pretty dire!

Archived