Stellplatz in trier

malcy

Planning our trip to germany for this year & have just come across the extensive Umwelt urban green zone restrictions.Our plan is to enter Germany from Luxemburg & to stay at the Trier stellplatz . Is this within a restricted zone or will I just be able to turn up without an authorisation sticker.

I,ve been reading about the Umwelt sytem & it appears to be getting more & more extensive all the time. Whilst I have no desire or intention of driving into city centres (we prefer to use public transport,seem to get a better feel for the place) there is always the chance of finding myself in one of these areas by mistake with that little boy lost look on my face thinking,

"should have bought a sticker"!

So any of you out there toured round Germany lately & if so is it still practical & convenient to attempt without an Umwelt sticker.

We will be following the Mosel to Koblenz turning right & that,s as much planning as we,re doing, in fact it,s more than we normally do. We are going out in May & coming back in July so we,ve plenty of time to amble round in our usual make it up as you go along sort of way.

If any of you have any special, interesting or gobsmackingly beautiful places you,ve been to or heard about & you feel like sharing them with us feel free. Your secret will be safe with us. Honest.

Just snowed again here & we,re fed up with it. I,m starting to ramble & go off on one so I,ll just say Auf Weidersen. (that,s German u know). :-)

Hi, What the blankety blank is UMWELTSTICKER. and Greenzone nonsense. This sounds like extracting more money for the priviledge of travelling in Germany.

As I an planning the similar trip commencing late May ex dover, and hoping to go via Trier etc and across via country route to top end of Romantische strasse, then down it to Austria heading initially to Innsbruck, Does this mean extra motorway tolls or what. I hope to use Stellplatze and have the german stellplatz guide Bord Atlas, as well as satnav files loaded, and garmin route plotted and ready to navigate.

I dont intend to visit city centres if I can avoid them, but if stelplatz eg Augsberg, is in this umwelt zone ( it appears to be close to city centre) then maybe I need to reroute to avoid it.

I am happy to share my proposed route, but having done the Moselle Luxumbourg to Koblenz , then down Rhine to Rudesheim some time ago, I thought that I would try a route across Neckar valley Via Kaiserslautern, past Mannheim, then the valley heading towards Wurzburg then Southbound down Romantische Strasse to Fussen and on into Austria.

Total 6 weeks abroad. Happy to exchange details via pm if interested

Tony g3nwl

The price for foreign registered vehicles ( us) is 12.50 euros. The Augsburg stellplatz looks like it is right on the edge of the green zone . At risk of a 40 euro fine if you take a wrong turn and end up in the zone , I will buy one anyway.

I hope you are not over 3.5 tonne as I am . To cross Austria from Fussen to the Brenner Pass with the dreaded Go Box cost 36 euros and its not that far on the motorway.Same price as an artic !!! Otherwise a vignette.

Not keen on tourists !!

We were doing your route early May and on down into Italy ,but might get to Fussen and head West towards the Black Forest avoiding Austria.

whisturx - 2010-02-21 4:05 PM The price for foreign registered vehicles ( us) is 12.50 euros. The Augsburg stellplatz looks like it is right on the edge of the green zone . At risk of a 40 euro fine if you take a wrong turn and end up in the zone , I will buy one anyway. I hope you are not over 3.5 tonne as I am . To cross Austria from Fussen to the Brenner Pass with the dreaded Go Box cost 36 euros and its not that far on the motorway.Same price as an artic !!! Otherwise a vignette. Not keen on tourists !! We were doing your route early May and on down into Italy ,but might get to Fussen and head West towards the Black Forest avoiding Austria.

Ian

You can avoid the motorway when you enter Austria by using the normal roads, so no 'Black box needed,' as long as you are not over 7.5t mgw. You can go over the Fern Pass from Fussen then follow normal roads to Innsbruck then over the Brenner on the old pass which runs along and under the Brenner motorway.

Once you are through Brenner town itself rejoin motorway down into Italy, (normal tolls) whatever they are now. May take an extra couple of hours or so depending on time of day.  

Dave

malcy - 2010-02-21 12:25 PM

Planning our trip to germany for this year & have just come across the extensive Umwelt urban green zone restrictions.Our plan is to enter Germany from Luxemburg & to stay at the Trier stellplatz . Is this within a restricted zone or will I just be able to turn up without an authorisation sticker.

I,ve been reading about the Umwelt sytem & it appears to be getting more & more extensive all the time. Whilst I have no desire or intention of driving into city centres (we prefer to use public transport,seem to get a better feel for the place) there is always the chance of finding myself in one of these areas by mistake with that little boy lost look on my face thinking,

"should have bought a sticker"!

So any of you out there toured round Germany lately & if so is it still practical & convenient to attempt without an Umwelt sticker.

We will be following the Mosel to Koblenz turning right & that,s as much planning as we,re doing, in fact it,s more than we normally do. We are going out in May & coming back in July so we,ve plenty of time to amble round in our usual make it up as you go along sort of way.

If any of you have any special, interesting or gobsmackingly beautiful places you,ve been to or heard about & you feel like sharing them with us feel free. Your secret will be safe with us. Honest.

Just snowed again here & we,re fed up with it. I,m starting to ramble & go off on one so I,ll just say Auf Weidersen. (that,s German u know). :-)

Hi Malcy

Everywhere is beautiful in the Moselle valley and some superb Stellplatz-virtually every village has one and they are all well kept. Last year average cost was 5 Euros inc. electricity and we went the same route you are taking. Pay special attention to Cochem, Bernkastl, Trier

Have fun-might see you there en route to Berlin

Mike & Jackie

Tony3gwl

The Umwelt zones are similar to London's Low Emission Zone (LEZ) but without the stupidly high costs!

Malcy

The stelplatze at Trier is out of town (there is a bus service close by) so it may not require the sticker but, if you are passing through places that do require one it is probably worth getting one as the cost is so low.

There was a post recently on the Trier stelplatze saying that it now had an entrance barrier rather than paying at the kiosk in the adjacent campsite where the fresh/waste water facilities are situated.

David

Archived