Kettles - gas/electric or both

Bellis555

Hi Bellis555,

We use a standard household 2kW and keep a careful eye on what else is switched on at the same time. It hasn't been a problem so far (touchwood). Low power kettles can take an awfully long time to boil and I hate waiting for my first cuppa of the day!

Keith.

The problem with an electric kettle, if any, will be the site electrical supply.  So far as I am aware, most in UK are 15 Amps, so even a 3 Kw kettle should generally be OK.  The only caveat is to check the supply to the socket you'd use for the kettle, as I believe some may be down to 10 Amps.

On the other hand, we have encountered down to 2 Amp supplies in Europe, so even a 650 Watt kettle wouldn't work!

Simplest answer is to take a low Wattage kettle, Kenwood do one such at about 650W, plus a kettle/small saucepan to heat on the hob.  That way you can heat water during meal/rest breaks as well.  If really pushed for space, take only the hob kettle, because that will always work!

You can always turn the heating off for the couple of minutes it takes to boil the kettle, you won't notice any change of temp as long as you remember to turn it back on after!

We also carry a kettle to go on the gas for when we have no EHU or park up for lunch.

Keith.

Guest Tracker
Never used an electric kettle in a van - don't even have a suitable low wattage one to use - never seen the need for duplication of kettles!

We have a small travel kettle (mains), similar to the second one below:

Cordless travel kettle

Corded travel kettle

However, instead of getting an electric kettle, why not get a small electric hotplate instead? That way you can use a standard gas kettle on it or cook on it. You can get single or doubles, and they usually have a 1kw output on the single, and 1kw and 1.5kw plates on the double. They are useful for cooking outside if you do stinky stuff (fish) or messy stuff, or if it's too hot to cook inside the van.

Forgot to say, don't bother with the 12v versions - they are so slow, it's like watching paint dry!

Hello, err - we have both.

A small gas "whistler" and a low wattage electric.

If we're on EHU we use the electric, if not then the gas kettle.

There's not much of a storage/weight problem with this arrangement and if on EHU then the cost of use is covered, saving gas usage......

We carry a hotplate to cook on for the same reason.........Takes a little more space as it's a two ring unit, but if we are paying for the power then we use it.........seemples! (Damn meercat) (lol)

Brian Kirby - 2010-02-21 6:17 PM

The problem with an electric kettle, if any, will be the site electrical supply.  So far as I am aware, most in UK are 15 Amps, so even a 3 Kw kettle should generally be OK.  The only caveat is to check the supply to the socket you'd use for the kettle, as I believe some may be down to 10 Amps.

On the other hand, we have encountered down to 2 Amp supplies in Europe, so even a 650 Watt kettle wouldn't work!

Simplest answer is to take a low Wattage kettle, Kenwood do one such at about 650W, plus a kettle/small saucepan to heat on the hob.  That way you can heat water during meal/rest breaks as well.  If really pushed for space, take only the hob kettle, because that will always work!

Brian, I don't think that a company would be allowed by law to terminate a 13 Amp socket with underated cable, would they? which should ideally be on a ring circuit. Though in reality would probably only be a spur.

Short answer: dunno!  Sounds reasonable to me, but if the circuit is protected by a correctly rated (10A) MCB on the mains panel, I can't see why that should be wrong either!  However, ours is wired to German standards, and has unswitched German sockets, and I know one at least has a 10A MCB on the panel, so I just assumed other members of the LHD awkward squad may be similarly afflicted!

I use a small electric (200-900W) kettle mainly because my cooker hood is glass and I have to wait a long time for the hob to cool and I also use this hood as extra worktop. However, I also have a small whistle kettle for the hob to use when travelling or not on EHU. Both take up little room and the electric one has always worked on foreign low ampage hook-ups.

Mel B - 2010-02-22 10:41 PM

Patricia, you shouldn't have to wait for your hob to cool before shutting it as it should be heat proof, the only time you'd need to worry was if you shut it with a hob still alight (not recommended!).

Think that may only be theory Mel as we had one explode once - what a mess, glass everywhere. However, thinking about it now, maybe it was faulty? We asked our local m/home dealer to source a replacement and they wanted weeks so, as we were going abroad quite soon, I contacted the cooker manufacturer and they sent a replacement immediately, and free of charge, for which I thanked them profusely. Never considered it was anything other than good business practice.

We carry low wattage electric kettle 900, and a small whistle one for when not on electric. i always carry a flask, and put any spare hoidioter in that. When we are travelling, I always fill the flask with hot water, that saves having to turn on the gas just for a cuppa. I Always turn off the water heater, when using the elec kettle, or toaster, just in case the connection trips out on the low amps , often in Europe.

Mel B

I think you will find that the gas will turn off, if you try shutting the hob top down. On my van you have to make sure the lid is right back, as otherwise this cuts the gas flow.

PJay

MelB and PJay - thank you both for this interesting info. I must admit that I have been very afraid to close the lid while the hob is hot after that incident (it was very frightening at the time) and I certainly did not know that cookers turned off automatically. I don't think that mine does (Countrywide Leisure Caprice) but I will certainly investigate this safety feature.

We used to carry both. After all on a UK site you are usually paying for a 16 Amp hook-up. In Europe, low site amperages (as low as 2 or 3) mean gas is the only viable quick way to heat the water for the esential brew. It used to worry me using gas for cuppa, but we now have refillable gas cylinders so gas usage is not an issue. So we now just carry a gas kettle. One less thing to carry is always good.

Richard.

We used to carry both. After all on a UK site you are usually paying for a 16 Amp hook-up. In Europe, low site amperages (as low as 2 or 3) mean gas is the only viable quick way to heat the water for the esential brew. It used to worry me using gas for cuppa, but we now have refillable gas cylinders so gas usage is not an issue. So we now just carry a gas kettle. One less thing to carry is always good.

Richard.

We use a low voltage electric kettle plus a gas one for when not on hook up , also carry a electric hot plate, we find that way when on extended holiday in Europe we have never needed to use different gas cylinders than we use at home and the gas always lasts without worrying about it running out. Carol.

PJay - 2010-02-22 10:59 PM

Mel B

I think you will find that the gas will turn off, if you try shutting the hob top down. On my van you have to make sure the lid is right back, as otherwise this cuts the gas flow.

PJay

Unfortunately PJay, that isn't the case I'm afraid on all cookers, many don't have this feature so care needs to be taken. Back in 2001 my husband made us a cuppa when we stopped for a break whilst travelling (in our 1991 Elddis Autoquest 320), but unfortunately he had forgotten to turn the burner off and had closed the lid. It was a little while later as we were tootling along that I smelt something horrible burning and realised what he'd done. The glass cover didn't explode or anything like that fortunately but the painted coating on it got a bit singed ... this was the week before we were due to PX it for our new Swift 590RS!!!! 8-) Judical placement of a teatowel solved the problem! :D

He's now paranoid about it and always checks the burners are off a couple of times by wafting his hand over them 8-) before putting down the lid!

PJay - 2010-02-22 10:59 PM

i always carry a flask, and put any spare hoidioter in that. When we are travelling, I always fill the flask with hot water, that saves having to turn on the gas just for a cuppa.

PJay

Yup, that's a good trick and we do it too, it's also useful to have a couple of those thermal travel mugs also (although I prefer hot water in mine!. :D ;-) ).

Archived