Another slant on dogs!

magbrin

I read with interest - and a pinch of salt - the article on dogs in motorhomes in the new MMM.

Just wondered what the rest of the dog owners out there thought (?) A bit OTT?

I don't think we could train our 2 (male) dogs to pee on demand, and anyway it's against the very nature of a male dog. Grooming every day to keep hairs down, well maybe, but only if it is what you and your dogs want - personally I would not have dogs if I could not cope with a few hairs. And playing doggy games like hiding their food ............... If its wet you are going to get wet so make the most of it and have a long walk in the rain, mud etc, and clean them off as best you can on your return, and clean the 'van when the weather improves *-)

Yes, be sensible and considerate, and give them (the dogs) plenty of love and exercise, and of course food, but most of all be happy! If I followed all the advice I don't think I would be and our dogs certainly wouldn't. (!)

Unfortunately, many dog owners just assume everyone else has the same attitude to dogs as they do.

Whilst you may believe that your little darling is "just being friendly/inquisitive/playful", non doggie people may see it as aggression or simply annoying.

There is nothing worse than sitting on a site somewhere, than to have someone else's dog running in and out of your awning and peeing to mark his/her territory.

You then get the ones, who wouldn't dream of keeping poochie on a lead because " he's no trouble to anyone" letting their darling poochie, run around upsetting all the other dogs who are much better behaved.

I have always had Great Danes, they are the softest, stupidest animals on the planet, but they can be VERY intimidating to other people, and especially to other dogs, and that is why when our last one sadly passed away, we haven't replaced her, not until we stop motorhoming anyway. Despite being the best 'ice breaker' you could ever have, everyone wanted to know everything, usually " how much does it cost to feed her " We decided it wasn't fair to put her with family or friends everytime we went away. While she was with us though, on numerous occasions we had various 'poochie's' owners coming up to complain that our dog was scaring poochie, and that we should keep her indoors, never mind that their dog was running around without a lead.

Dog owners need to take the perspective of non dog owners for just a moment, some folks like to go away to site where there are no kids running around screaming and shouting all day and night, and quite rightly so, however, a lot of those complaining about the kids, will happily let their dogs run around all day, or tie them up and let them bark and snarl at anyone or anything that passes.

I don't for one minute think that ALL dog owners are the same, we certainly wasn't, but there are many who are, and unfortunately, you responsible owners will always be tarred with the same brush, just as many of you tar children and teenagers in the same way.

That's just my slant on 'dogs and motorhomes/caravans' others may not agree.

donna miller - 2010-02-23 3:48 PM

Thanks for this and I am happy to read any view - indeed I do read most posts relating to dogs, and I do not think you are alone in your views. I know not everyone is sensible and considerate - but that also includes non dog owners. However, with respect, I was particularly looking for responses, preferably from current dog owners, to the article in MMM

It all seems to be common sense and, I must admit, my two cocker spaniels are pretty well perfect for motorhoming!

They have a large soft crate to travel in, so don't have the opportunity to jump out of the door as soon as it's opened enroute. On site, they sit and wait for their tie-out leads to be attached to their collars before jumping out of the van.

They take me for a long walk first thing in the morning and after lunch, followed by a quick wee at night.

They never do they do their 'business' before we have walked out of the site gates.

Feeding routines are kept the same as at home, as far as possible.

They are used to be left in the van for up to 3 hours - nobody has ever heard a peep from them. In fact, neighbours are often surprised that they are even in the van!

All of this seems to be instinctive - I've never consciously trained them to behave.

I have been down as far as Cornwall and up to Scotland with my two little co-pilots in the last 5 years and I agree with the writer that holidays wouldn't be the same without them.

If only I could teach them to read a map....

We have a Dobermann and I am fully aware that not everyone is 'into dogs'

However, we have had some very apprehensive looks when we have 'pitched up' and out comes the dog!

Because of their 'reputation' (totally unfounded) people are so surprised when they see that he is calm and quiet and well adjusted!

He is always on a lead that has a ground anchor when we are on site and is well exercised several times a day.

I have to say that it does annoy me too when I see other dogs that are left to wander around the camp site and 'cock' their legs over everyone's property and owners try to justify this because it is 'only a small dog' !!!

Our present Dobermann has been used to the 'van' since since 4 months of age and just loves it.

All our other Dobes were just as good, and for me to be able to take the dog with me when on holiday is the very reason why we have a motor home!

I do understand how people can be annoyed though when on occasions they come up against inconsiderate dog (and children) owners!!

donna miller - 2010-02-23 3:48 PM

Unfortunately, many dog owners just assume everyone else has the same attitude to dogs as they do.

Whilst you may believe that your little darling is "just being friendly/inquisitive/playful", non doggie people may see it as aggression or simply annoying.

There is nothing worse than sitting on a site somewhere, than to have someone else's dog running in and out of your awning and peeing to mark his/her territory.

You then get the ones, who wouldn't dream of keeping poochie on a lead because " he's no trouble to anyone" letting their darling poochie, run around upsetting all the other dogs who are much better behaved.

I have always had Great Danes, they are the softest, stupidest animals on the planet, but they can be VERY intimidating to other people, and especially to other dogs, and that is why when our last one sadly passed away, we haven't replaced her, not until we stop motorhoming anyway. Despite being the best 'ice breaker' you could ever have, everyone wanted to know everything, usually " how much does it cost to feed her " We decided it wasn't fair to put her with family or friends everytime we went away. While she was with us though, on numerous occasions we had various 'poochie's' owners coming up to complain that our dog was scaring poochie, and that we should keep her indoors, never mind that their dog was running around without a lead.

Dog owners need to take the perspective of non dog owners for just a moment, some folks like to go away to site where there are no kids running around screaming and shouting all day and night, and quite rightly so, however, a lot of those complaining about the kids, will happily let their dogs run around all day, or tie them up and let them bark and snarl at anyone or anything that passes.

I don't for one minute think that ALL dog owners are the same, we certainly wasn't, but there are many who are, and unfortunately, you responsible owners will always be tarred with the same brush, just as many of you tar children and teenagers in the same way.

Not all little dogs are frightened of Great Danes. I've got some photos of our Boarder Terrier playing with one on Hunstanton beach chasing it in and our of the sea with both dogs having a whale of a time. The Great Dane kept waiting for her to catch up and was very careful not to jump on her. It was all grey and called Merlin.

magbrin - 2010-02-23 8:32 AM

I read with interest - and a pinch of salt - the article on dogs in motorhomes in the new MMM.

Just wondered what the rest of the dog owners out there thought (?) A bit OTT?

I don't think we could train our 2 (male) dogs to pee on demand, and anyway it's against the very nature of a male dog. Grooming every day to keep hairs down, well maybe, but only if it is what you and your dogs want - personally I would not have dogs if I could not cope with a few hairs. And playing doggy games like hiding their food ............... If its wet you are going to get wet so make the most of it and have a long walk in the rain, mud etc, and clean them off as best you can on your return, and clean the 'van when the weather improves *-)

Yes, be sensible and considerate, and give them (the dogs) plenty of love and exercise, and of course food, but most of all be happy! If I followed all the advice I don't think I would be and our dogs certainly wouldn't. (!)

A long walk in the rain is all very well but if you do don't stop to talk to a farmer in his stock yard and if you do make sure your dog does not get bored and lay down in the muck. I speak from experience on this topic!

'I don't think we could train our 2 (male) dogs to pee on demand, and anyway it's against the very nature of a male dog,' was a comment by dog owner.

Well my daughter is training a male 'Blind dog' pup and one of the conditions of having this precious opportunity was that very fact. The point is; taking the trouble to train a dog. The pup is now 6 months old and does what is expected. He will even carry out expected commands from my 5 year old granddaughter.

Colin Leake - 2010-02-23 5:16 PM

The Great Dane kept waiting for her to catch up and was very careful not to jump on her. It was all grey and called Merlin.

He/she would have been a Blue if the same colour all over, or a Blue Merle if darker patches over the body.

As you say, they are huge softies around other dogs

Generally speaking, dogs are happier with a routine and although they do not pee on demand, they follow the routine and do their business in a regular way.

What I want to know is why my MMM has not arrived yet so that I can read this article!

Do you know, over the last 20 years i.e our caravanning and now motorhoming life I have heard about kids running wild,dogs running wild etc. and I don't think I have ever met any!We have camped extensively in Britain and Europe so don't lack experience.I have seen older people park their units right by a childrens playgound (plenty of other pitches available) and then scream insults at quite young children trying to access said playground to their distress.When my stepson was about 9 we stayed where there was a beautiful bank of wildflowers and a notice asking people not to walk through them.We drummed it into his head not to do that only for us both to watch a man well into middle age just march through! My stepson commented on how unfair he was being!

I do admit that not every dog owner cleans up as well as they should but a suprising number actually do.Bit of tolerance alround I think or we will end up banning everything.There are plenty of people who would be quite happy to ban caravans and motorhomes.

Poppy - 2010-02-24 7:43 AM

Do you know, over the last 20 years i.e our caravanning and now motorhoming life I have heard about kids running wild,dogs running wild etc. and I don't think I have ever met any!We have camped extensively in Britain and Europe so don't lack experience.I have seen older people park their units right by a childrens playgound (plenty of other pitches available) and then scream insults at quite young children trying to access said playground to their distress.When my stepson was about 9 we stayed where there was a beautiful bank of wildflowers and a notice asking people not to walk through them.We drummed it into his head not to do that only for us both to watch a man well into middle age just march through! My stepson commented on how unfair he was being!

I do admit that not every dog owner cleans up as well as they should but a suprising number actually do.Bit of tolerance alround I think or we will end up banning everything.There are plenty of people who would be quite happy to ban caravans and motorhomes.[

/QUOTE]

I have to agree we have been camping in caravans and motorhomes for 30 years or more and like you we have never encountered any problems with dogs or children. Mind you when we used to take the boys all round the UK and Europe racing model cars we were staying on an unlit tempory site and had an all black totally deaf spanial who got out. It took us and the rest of the drivers ages to find him.

Must admit I agree with the first comment - I too read the article in the MMM magazine and was a bit intimidated by all the dos and don'ts! My dog is a rascally Jack Russell and not as biddable as he should be. He is never allowed off his lead when out and never pees on other people's land. I really hope he will take to the motorhome and we meet lots of other dog-lovers when we venture out for our first season of motorhoming! Lorna

I agree with Trooper.. I have trained my dog to pee on the command 'HURRY UP' .... very useful if watching a film on tv and in the advert break. I think sometimes when out she just squats on command to shut me up and carry on with the walk. Once in the wilds though I just let her do her own thing.

I love dogs but can't abide it when they jump up on me .... usually when wearing white (me that is.) and their nails need cutting so you end up with huge scratches down your arms because you've had to push them away. All comes down to the owners.

We let our Boarder terrier off whenever it is safe to do so i.e. away from the roads. She has been trained to socialize from a pup, return when called, stop and stand still when told to, and to ignore sheep. We have also taught her that if she meets a dog off the lead she can approach it if she wants, however if she meets one on a lead she knows she must pass it by and not approach. All of this training came very easily with little effort on our part.

My little dog is a regular Jackel and Hyde :-S the dogs he LIKES he LOVES and the ones he Doesn't he chases!! >:-) so I try to keep him on lead as much as I can!! but being small if he decides to run past me out of the van he is a bit hard to catch!! but if I shout STAY he usually freezes!! if Im lucky. *-) he isn't afraid of size at all I just wish he was.

Some interesting and varying thoughts. Thanks.

I applaud those of you with pets that pee on demand. As far as dogs that work as guide dogs, hearing dogs etc. are concerned it is essential to train them to a basic specification, and this is presumably part of it.

Although I do not want to grind on, I do reitterate that I do not think we could train ours now:

1. They are too old - you can't teach old dogs new tricks, as they say, especially when they are Irish Setters!

2. We live in the country and they spend a lot of time outside (in a deer fenced garden) on their own, with access to their beds, inside - and water of course. They would end up with crossed legs if they had to wait for one of us to tell them to go :-S

And before anyone critisises this - it is often their choice to spend the whole day outside, between their walks (lol)

As far as campsites are concerned - another controversy, perhaps, but almost all our motorhoming to date has been wild :D

Archived