Dogs in Italy

Randonneur

Although we don't have a dog I thought this would be of interest to other forum members. I lifted this from another forum, I hope they don't mind.

"Following a spate of attacks by dogs over the past few days, in various parts of the country, of varying severity; and by dogs of all types; the Carabinieri remind us that:

all dogs, of whatever size or breed; if in a public place; must be on a lead no longer than 1.5 meters, and muzzled, and identifiable by implanted microchip. In default; the dog will be impounded, could be destroyed, and in any case the owner referred to the Public Prosecuter. "

Although this has been law for some time we have been to Italy a few times over the past few years and never seen a dog muzzled. We do carry a muzzle but have never used it. In view of the number of stray dogs wandering the streets of any large town it doesn't seem as though the police are too bothered. Italian law also requires that if carrying more than one dog they have to be secured in the vehicle and I do know of an English resident in Italy being prosecuted for carrying two dogs un-secured on the back seat of a car. Details of legal requirements in European countries can be found in the Caravan Club sites guides.

We have a friend who has a Staffordshire Bull Terrier who has been told in no uncertain circumstances in a couple of towns France and Spain Germany by the local police that their dog wasn't welcome in their town and to move on! It was on a lead, under control and showing no signs of aggression or stress, but was unmuzzled. It is also the sweetest gentlest dog I've ever met!

They based their decision on the look of it and despite being shown the dogs' "passport" and it not being classed here as a "Dangerous Dog" they still insisted it didn't matter what the police in the UK thought, they did and told them to move on or risk being arrested and prosecuted for having one.

So they moved on!

Archived