Site outside London

TonyHilary

Hi, Can anyone recommend a site with easy access to a train/tube going into London. Not inside London but north or northwestish of it, perhaps 1/2 an hour away ideally. Basic facilities are ok, [w.c. pub on the doorstop!!]. Its for a few days to see Van Gough exhibition...perhaps we'll get his autograph!! Dont tell O.H. its a surprise...at least it will be if she was expecting to stay at the Ritz! :-D Thanks Tony

When we go to London we always stay at the Caravan Club Site at the Crystal Palace. Very easy for central London, no 3 bus I think. A really nice site you would think that you were in the country. If that is to close then there is Alderstead Heath at Redhill also a Caravan Club site.

We formerly used CrystalPalace CC site but got fed up with the no 3 buses when coming beck from the west end late at night- supposedly approx every 20mins, but generally were coming about once an hour in a convoy of three buses!!!

For some years now we have ised Abbey Wood CC site - rail station about 5-10mins walk from the site, and very regular train service to Charing Cross,journey time 30/35mins, regular trains back until around midnight....You can buy a one day travelcard which gives you full use of buses Underground and Dockland Light railway, as well as the main line service.

We go there very regularly,and access is very easy from the M25, I think juncution 2 or 3, depedning on whether you come from north or south directionon the M25.

Exc site, may get busy at times, but we have always managed to get it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Keith and Tomored, both sound fine unless I find somewhere Northish to save driving through or around London as we're coming from the Midlands. We need somewhere ideally without too much walking. I wonder how long commute would be from Hemel? I know much of the UK without a map but distances, time etc around London I'm hopeless. Thanks again.

Not quite so far south the C&CC site at Chertsey, on the banks of the Thames at Chertsey Lock, quite & peaceful only a few minitues from M25.

Rail station just over a mile. Nice walks & cycling along the river bank.

Google map link:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Chertsey,+Surrey,+United+Kingdom&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.703427,39.375&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FQQfEAMdpED4_w&split=0&hq=&hnear=Chertsey,+Surrey,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.388307,-0.483742&spn=0.019229,0.038452&z=15&iwloc=lyrftr:m,6435120215869881361,51.389761,-0.4901

HWO - 2010-02-25 4:40 PM Hi Tony How about the CC site at Welwyn Garden City, 20 mins into Kings Cross or the C&CC site at Hertford, 30 mins into London . Both are to the north of London, both are open all year.

Agreed.  Both are about 1.5 miles from their respective stations as the crow flies.  Both are outside the LEZ, and both are on the side of London you want to be.  Hertford is probably prettier: pubs and restaurants in town, about one mile from site (N51.78568 W0.06806).  The centre of Welwyn is similarly endowed, but about 1.5 miles from the site (N51.78081 W0.18945).

ChrisK5 - 2010-02-25 10:46 PM

The CCC club site site at Chertsy is the best with easy access to London, better than the CC club site at crystal palace we have tried them both.

From Chertsey a train is required - either walking to a station or moving the van and finding somewhere to park.

From Crystal Palace site it is only a walk of a few minutes to the bus stop and the no3 goes via Parliament, Whitehall, Trafalgar Square, Picadilly Circus to Oxford Circus. Alternatively take the no3 to Brixton to access the tube.

Also an all day bus card is a lot cheaper than a train ticket and allows one to use buses all day (and up till 4am the next day should that be required).

I would agree that getting to the Chertysey site is an easier and shorter journey from the motorway but actually accessing London tourist attractions is much easier and cheaper from Crystal Palace (free travel for those who have a bus pass.)

Hello, All,

Just back from Spain so taking the opportunity to catch up on things.

Whilst reading the posts on this thread and regarding the LEZ, one of you has said to "Check your registration no on the TfL. OK, I'm a Northerner, so what is TfL. As my vehicle is of Euro 4 status so how will it effect. We also are looking to going to the North London area to do a bit of tourist sightseeing.

Geoff

TfL is Transport for London.

Euro 4 status vehicle is, I believe, OK but do check.

I had also meant to put on my earlier posting that we travel from the West Midlands and feel that the longer journey from the motorway to Crystal Palace rather than to Cherttsey is worth it because of the ease and cheapness of getting into central London. We have used the no3 bus many times and only once has it been unreliable.

I use the CC site at Denholm. Pleasant walk down the station, good train service (cheaper off peak) into Marylebone and occasionally Paddington (I think) with tickets including tube. Station has ticket machines that take notes.

Very easy to find and close to M40.

Site is excellent although the you do get noise from the nearby private airfield.

Geoff Tuckley - 2010-02-26 3:40 PM

Hello, All,

Just back from Spain so taking the opportunity to catch up on things.

Whilst reading the posts on this thread and regarding the LEZ, one of you has said to "Check your registration no on the TfL. OK, I'm a Northerner, so what is TfL. As my vehicle is of Euro 4 status so how will it effect. We also are looking to going to the North London area to do a bit of tourist sightseeing.

Geoff

TfL is the initials for Transport For London, they are a bit like Somali pirates only without the Guns, they use ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) cameras instead. Sail or drive anywhere near to London and they have 'Got You' with a £200 Ransom demand. Unless you drive a Bright shiny New vehicle.

I'm a londoner born and bred but I never intend to go back while these stupid 'Green' laws (Congestion charge and LEZ) are in place. Ray >:-(

mel wood - 2010-02-26 7:39 PM

TfL is Transport for London.

Euro 4 status vehicle is, I believe, OK but do check.

I had also meant to put on my earlier posting that we travel from the West Midlands and feel that the longer journey from the motorway to Crystal Palace rather than to Cherttsey is worth it because of the ease and cheapness of getting into central London. We have used the no3 bus many times and only once has it been unreliable.

8-) EURO4 has nothing to do with the TfL regulations. It is the weight/age of vehicle. Easily checked by entering your registration into the website. ;-)

Archived