Water pump

Arthur Brown

It has been suggested to me that I should invest in a water pump as a spare on the basis that should the pump break down I am pretty much stuffed. I feel that this applies to many things but do pumps give more problems than anything else? You guys who are regular will realise I am new to the motor home experience although I have been a caravanite for a number of years and not had any problems. I guess what I am really saying is 'are there problems with motor homes which do not feature with caravans that I should be aware of.

Hi Arthur,

After owning and using a good many 'vans over more years than I can care to remember I have never had any problems with water pumps. The main issue is to ensure that the water system is completely drained down if the 'van is parked for a period and frost is likely.

Suggest that you carry a "fold up" 5 ltr water container for use in any emergency, cost is around a fiver.

If you tried to carry a spare for everything that could go wrong, then you would end up towing a second 'van behind the one you have.

Enjoy the 'van and you'll be surprised how much "fun" you can have sorting any problems out when you are in a strange place.

Guest Tracker

I was given a spare pump in about 1980 and I have carried it in every van on evry trip ever since, covering many thousands of miles without ever needing it - but Prof Sodde's Law applies here and this probably only because I have a spare - but there are plenty of other things that can fail instead!

Bottled water is cheap enough almost anywhere and will enable you to have a cuppa whilst you figure out the problem and if you can't fix it you can still cook and wash with bottled water - just like we used to in the old days - oh yes, we always carry bottled water too!

Old van 19 years no problem with the water pump and never really looked after it as you should. New van 3 years about to install 3rd pump despite taking all the precauations of draining down etc. I've put it down to sod's law as well as the shower being great and therefore we use it loads.

Archived