INDUSTRAIL ACTION IN GREECE

Don Madge

INDUSTRAIL ACTION IN GREECE

I know that a few people are planning trips to Greece in the coming months.

There have been two? 24 hour strikes so far and they have brought the country to a stand still.

A couple of points worth noting if you have already booked your ferry to Greece.

If your ferry is cancelled you can only rebook through the agent you made your original booking with. This could involve an expensive phone call to the UK. This info I obtained from a Turkish travel agent with whom I had booked my Crete ferry sailings, I've not been able to confirm it.

If your booking is for the camping on board option on the longer crossing you might not be able to rebook a crossing for some time as the option is very popular.

It might be worth having a “Plan B” just in case you can’t rebook to suit you.

On the shorter sea crossings from Bari/Brindisi to Igoumenitsa/Patras it is usually possible to book an over night (camping on board) sailing when you arrive at the port.

The Greek English language newspaper http://www.ekathimerini.com/ should be a good way of finding as and when future strikes are planned.

We are lucky our ferries to and from Crete are on a Sunday as strikes don’t usually happen on a Sunday I’m keeping my fingers crossed that a knock on effect won’t cause us problems.

A very good site for checking ferry sailing options is www.ferries.gr

Safe travelling.

Don

Archived