water heater

daveyboy42

Guest Tracker

Welcome to the forum Davey - you will need to provide some details in order to get the benefit of other folks experiences.

Van make, model, age and heater make & model would help?

Do you mean gas or electric? Does it run on either or both?

Perhaps you can explain the precise problem a little more clearly?

Don't worry - we all struggle at first and you will soon get the hang of it!

Guest Tracker

If the ehu is disconnected it can then only run - or not run - on gas. That should eliminate one possibility.

If the gas is turned off at the bottle and the ehu is connected it can only run on electric and that should eliminate the other option.

You will at least then know what, if anything, is suspect?

How long have you had this 'van and are you sure that it isn't supposed to work like this.

I once had a 'van where the only control for electric water heating was a switch in the wardrobe. If that switch was on, the water heated up when it was on hook-up. The control in the 'van was purely for gas hot water heating and it was a circular knob that turned the gas on and that had a thermostat, whereas the electric water heating had no temperature control from inside the 'van, although I believe it could be regulated on the heater itself.

Guest Tracker

What does the handbook say?

Look up the model designation on the heater itself and find out from either the handbook, the makers website or this forum what it should be doing?

Hi Davey

I have an Ace Milano which I think is the Swift Group's version of your van.

On my van the only control of my electric water heater is that on/off switch in the wardrobe, the same as you seem to have. It does nothing other than switch the water heater on or off when plugged into the mains electricity. Is your switch permanently on?

There is a thermostatic control for electric space heating (alongside the control for operation for gas water heating) but this does not control the electric water heater.

John

Follow this link, http://tinyurl.com/yf265wg , select your heater type, allow pop-ups if disallowed, click "English", download the appropriate Truma manual, and save a copy for reference.

You will see that there are two "control panels", one for gas, and the other for electricity.  Neither interconnects with the other.  Gas is on, or off, at the gas control panel, and gives control over water temperature.  Electricity is on, or off, at its control panel, and gives no control over water temperature (preset). 

To stop the problem you are having, isolate the gas supply at the cylinder, make sure the gas control panel switch is off, and then switch off the electrical heating element at the electric control panel.  The indicator light on the panel should extinguish, and water heating should cease.

If the heater continues to heat water with both controls off, especially if the indicator light on the electric control panel stays on when the switch is in the off position, most probably there is a fault with the electric control panel switch.  Disconnect the mains before investigating further.  It may be a defective switch, or that it has been wired wrongly.  If you don't understand what you see, get an electrician to investigate.  Remember, the electric water heater is 220V, not 12V, so mistakes could be fatal - to you!  :-)

hi brian

thanks for the link i have now printed a manual.

its definitely not the gas thats heating the water, the water heater light on the control panel does go on and off when the button is pressed, however turning it off does not stop the water heating as it should, this can only be done by turning off the main switch in the wardrobe.

thanks dave :-D

Archived