Chausson Flash 04 - comments please!

Mel B

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony ... as if I'd name my van after you my dear ... are you also known as chubby chops? :D

Good news - the wheel arrived today, looks like new with the bobbles and marks on the tread still, just gotta sort out the stowing of it. If anyone wants a wheel for their Ford the company we bought it off is called Transit Parts UK, tel 01268-574425:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/TRANSITPARTSUK__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Very efficient and recommended.

More good news - managed to make contact with the chap selling the headlight protectors too, so just need to arrange a time for hubby to go pick them up on his scooter, as the chap lives near Scunthorpe.

2 lots of good news:

1) At the weekend we managed to pick up at nice bright red 6 tonne bottle jack for £7 ... he was sat on the grass some 50ft away from his stall so we were haggling via hand signals, he wanted £10 originally but with frantic finger waggling (no rude gestures!) I got it to £8 ... eventually he returned and I then managed to barter him down to £7 as it was getting late and he wanted his lunch!!!

2) Hubby has been ringing around insurance companies as ours was due and our renewal from Safeguard was £344, slightly more than last year. The cheapest he could get elsewhere (Crompton) was £329 but the cover wasn't as good. But the best bit is that at the NEC we did a 'spin the wheel' competition with Safeguard and won a £50 discount voucher ... so he's just renewed our insurance with them today, £344 down to £294. Well chuffed. :-S

• 4 weeks later...

Done various bits and pieces this weekend such as putting in storage shelves in the garage and eyelets to secure the spare wheel to, and sorting out all the 'junk' that hubby had chucked in there - why did he think we needed 4 pairs of 'canoeing' shoes between us, loads of tables, bags and hats galore ... and they say women are bad!!! :D

Did some electrics too - put in an extra 12v feed for the TV near the bed and put the TV bracket up (swing arm jobbie) but our fairly new Akura 20" TV/DVD is a bit toooooo big (told him it was a bit big when he bought it last year but you boys so like to go as big as you can with toys!), so, we're gonna get a smaller one and use the other in the house as we could do with a new one anyway in the bedroom. The new one will be another Akura 16" 12v TV/DVD for £109 from a local dealer, can't go wrong at that price. :-)

Got the rear view camera mounted today and the cable through to the inside in the cupboard above the bed, hubby just need to run the cable to the front. Also managed to get the awning light working - I'd put it up the other week but the Chausson wiring diagram was 'interesting' to say the least! We managed to work it out eventually with a multimeter and the light works very nicely. :-D

Then I attacked the front overcab locker ... or glory hole! For a low profile van its massive and swallows a load of stuff. I'd picked up a cheap yoga mat from a car boot sale and it lines it beautifully so nothing will skid around in there. Turfed out loads of stuff which hubby had just thrown in there and we can now get at everything easily ... I must take my 'grabber with me though to retrieve anything that ends up in the corners! 8-)

Managed to find a nice spot for the dog toys - in an oblong plastic planter wedged between the rear of the driver's seat and the side facing seat - gotta keep the monsters happy. Managed to sort a nice bit of storage under the table on the raised platform above the heater pipes etc, by putting a strong plastic crate on top of some anti-slip matting, with the crate being held place with a long bungee cord hooked over a couple of existing cuts outs, which will be ideal for bottles of lemonade etc and means we can remove it easily if needs be without it leaving a mark.

I finally finished the seat covers last week and hubby put them on, and very smart they look too - absolute s*ds to make but they should last and wear very well. :-S

• 4 months later...

Just to let you know how we're getting on with our van. So far we've had 2 things that need replacement parts:

1) The arm that holds the large locker door open decided it hadn't had enough spinach and permanently lost all it's 'strength' ... and promptly clunked me on the head :-( (stop laughing you horrible lot!!! :D ). It would appear that it was faulty as it wasn't that tight in the first place.

2) The habitation door retainer (plastic thing on the outside of the door & side of the van) had cracked, not sure why, but found out when the door blew closed in the wind in France and bashed me on the knee! *-) (you can all stop your giggling again!!!! :$ )

Hubby contacted Highbridge by email and one of the lads there (Steve I thinnk) rang up to sort out what was wrong. Hubby sent some photos of the offending parts and Steve confirmed that he had them in stock and would send them straight out to us, no questions asked. They have now arrived and will be fitted this weekend.

They're only a couple of small things but we can't fault the way they've sorted the parts out for us.

Archived