Building and Contents Insurance

Bob Elswood

I've just shopped around to get a better deal for my building and contents insurance.

One thing that 'jumped' out at me when looking at the 'small print' was that if you are not living in your house for more than 30 days in a row (or 60) on my policy it looks like you may not be covered if something went wrong.

This has never been a problem for me up until now as I have been working.

However I know that quite a few of you 'disappear' for months on end in the 'van'. I was wondering what you all do in order to maintain your house insurance cover when away for long periods.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Ours is via Comfort, and the period of absence can be specified subject to premium adjustment.  Home plus contents also can be extended to give annual medical cover.  The vehicle cover can be extended to include Europe wide recovery.  These policies, in effect, form a suite, that can be adapted to cater for varying periods of absence.  Overall, they seem quite competitive with similar cover bought piecemeal, at least they were when we last shopped around.  The company is run by motorhomers, who understand the requirements.  Policies all underwritten by Aviva.

Archived