Plating 3.5T or more

AGH

I have just ordered a new Geist 6900. I am told that it can either be plated at 3500 (as it is from the factory) or 3850. Is this right? What are the implications? Road tolls? Any other costs? My driving licence is old enough that I can drive either.

I intend keeping it for a long time.

We are new to motor caravanning.

Keen to get any advice - thanks.

hi, get it plated to the higher figure, it will give you more payload, also the road tax comes down by £20 cos its classed as a goods vehicle

however there is a downside... check with your breakdown cover cos some wont take vans over 3.5t

there are also cost implications abroad with the higher rate but i cannot comment on that as i have no experience of going abroad in the van.

but there are loads of people on here what will give you the relavant stuff

you could also do a forum search sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt!!!

jonathan

The option means that the base chassis is suitable for a MAM of 3,850Kg.  This can be down-plated on request to 3,500Kg to allow those with licence restrictions to drive it.

Unless you pass a medical at age 70, you will lose your "grandfather rights" to drive vehicles heavier than 3,500Kg MAM (categories B+E, C, C1, C1+E).  If you pass 70 without applying to retain the entitlement, you can only regain it by taking the medical and an additional test (but check this with DVLA, especially for which categories may be added).  If lost on medical grounds, so far as I know, the entitlement cannot be reinstated.  Once over 70, your licences will last only three years, and are renewable for the over 3,500Kg category only on passing further medicals.

Vehicles heavier than 3,500Kg are subject to lower speed limits in most of Europe, generally 100KPH on motorways, and 80KPH elsewhere (subject to lower limits as indicated at roadsides).  There is proposed legislation to bring UK broadly in line.  (The present restrictions in UK are based on unladen weights exceeding 3,050Kg, which causes confusion with some police officers).

For the same vehicle, its plated weight will not affect tolls or ferries etc.

If the payload at 3,500Kg MAM will be much less than 500Kg, you may struggle in practise to stay within the load limit.  If you are satisfied your licence will allow you to go on driving at 3,850 Kg MAM, this option would, IMO, be the best.  Even if this changes, you can still get it down plated to 3,500Kg MAM at a later date, but you then have to stick to the lower limit.  As above, the payload question may then arise.

Oddly, you will find the road tax marginally cheaper at 3,850Kg MAM (taxation class PHGV in lieu of PLG)!

Do you need 3850T? If you intend to keep it consider the following, over 3.5T you change from being classed as van like to being small HGV like. In Austria for example over 3.5 you have to get a go-box its expensive and involves more hassle under 3.5 its a simple vignette. Again Switzerland you have to get an HGV Permit though oddly this can work out cheaper if only for 10 days the vignette lasts a year. Slovenia also discriminates over 3.5T.Its in Scandanavia the costs really mount up, for the use of Bridges/Ferries, Norway can be very expensive over 3.5T. I have had a 3.8T and admit during my ownership it was not a problem but I reduced to 3.5T with this van as I felt tolls etc are going against the heavier vehicle. On the continent restrictions on roads in some towns start at 3.5T.

Increasing the MAM to 3850, increases the overall payload but does not increase the front and rear axle limits. I have a 3400 MAM and can easily stay within this limit (540kg payload) but with my scooter on the rear carrier I cannot fill my fresh water tank to its 130lt capacity due to the rear axle limit of 1950kg being overloaded even though I would still be within the MAM

Eggy

Can I pose this question, I am in the process of purchasing a motorhome and was told at the time of purchase that it could be plated from 3500kg to 3850kg at the fatory. I am now informed that the motorhome company will only re-plate to 3700kg the dealer however suggest he can do this on its arrval in UK - is this legal? and why would the company only plate up to 3700kg - any thoughts please.

I assume it's one of these:

http://www.geistforlife.com/touring6900.php

If so, the payload at 395kg is very low so I would suggest you don't have much option but to upgrade to the higher payload if you want to carry anything in it - the water tank takes up to 102 litres - that's 102 kg alone. If you intend to have accessories fitted too, such an an awning, they will eat into the payload so you are not going to have anything left to speak of once you and the better half are on board.

pilote742 - 2010-03-02 4:21 PM

Can I pose this question, I am in the process of purchasing a motorhome and was told at the time of purchase that it could be plated from 3500kg to 3850kg at the fatory. I am now informed that the motorhome company will only re-plate to 3700kg the dealer however suggest he can do this on its arrval in UK - is this legal? and why would the company only plate up to 3700kg - any thoughts please.

It may be that they have restrictions in their country? Without knowing what the motorhome is it's difficult to say for sure.

Also check how much your dealer is proposing to charge you for the up-plating - it should cost around £200+VAT through SVTech so long as it's just a paperwork exercise.

Eggy - 2010-02-28 9:38 PM Increasing the MAM to 3850, increases the overall payload but does not increase the front and rear axle limits. I have a 3400 MAM and can easily stay within this limit (540kg payload) but with my scooter on the rear carrier I cannot fill my fresh water tank to its 130lt capacity due to the rear axle limit of 1950kg being overloaded even though I would still be within the MAM Eggy

I think this is a misunderstanding of what is being proposed.  It is not proposed that a 3,500Kg chassis is being plated up to 3,850Kg, which carries the disadvantage you (correctly) describe.  The proposal is that a 3,850Kg chassis that can optionally be plated down to 3,500Kg by the motorhome maker (usually for driving licence reasons).  You are correct that the axle limits would not be changed by re-plating: however, in this case they would remain the limits appropriate to a 3,850Kg MAM van.

pilote742 - 2010-03-02 4:21 PM Can I pose this question, I am in the process of purchasing a motorhome and was told at the time of purchase that it could be plated from 3500kg to 3850kg at the factory. I am now informed that the motorhome company will only re-plate to 3700kg the dealer however suggest he can do this on its arrival in UK - is this legal? and why would the company only plate up to 3700kg - any thoughts please.

Do clarify exactly what you are being told, and get it in writing.  If it does not suit your requirements, cancel the order and walk away.  It might help if you could state what make and model you are buying.

However, provided the motorhome is built on a chassis with either 3,850 or 3,700Kg MAM, all that will happen is that the original chassis manufacturer's plated limit (MAM) will remain unaltered.  If you need, the plated MAM can easily be reduced to 3,500Kg.

However, if you require the higher loading, and the van is only being produced on a 3,500Kg MAM chassis, then any subsequent re-plating, at works or by the dealer, will be liable to prove unsatisfactory for exactly the reason Eggy describes above.  Do make sure this is fully confirmed by the dealer, and check what you actually have when it is delivered. 

Archived