Home insurance while away

the crumblies

Hallo all. I'm sure this has been coveerd before, so can anyone direct me to relevant threads or comment directly. We are contemplating a long trip abroad (several months); does anyone have any advice about buildinga snd contenta insurance while we are away, please? My current policy will not cover me for more than 30 days continuous absence. Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks in hope ...

We wanted 90 days and struggled because we live in the flat bit of Lincolnshire so some companies that would have done the 90 days decided they couldn't cover us because of the flood risk. We eventually went to a local broker who found us cover, with the proviso that the house is checked at least once a week (my Mum and sister do that) and that it is kept heated to a minimum of 15C. The actual cover is with a company called Brit Insurance www.britinsurance.com - I don't know if they deal direct.

We also struggled to get health insurance cover for my husband's angina and finally discovered MIA - www.miaonline.info - who covered everything with an annual policy and very reasonable indeed.

We use Nationwide Building Soc for our building and contents insurance They will cover you if you are away for 365 days per year provided you have the necessary window locks, door locks and alarm system. The only thing that they insist on extra is that someone comes and checks your house every 14 days. We found them to be the best value for money. (They are good on car insurance as well). You can buy on line and they will send your documents through the post. Hope this helps.

Jean and Ray

Archived