home central heating programmer

dragonflyer

Help please, I have tried to search without any result.

Some while ago there was a discussion on the different types of programmer to be left on when away from home.

Our programmer has broken down overnight (it is probably more then 30 years old so owes us nothing). I would like to be knowledgeable when the plumber arrives to replace the programmer. So far I have not found anything very useful when trawling the net, but will keep on looking.

I thought there was a programmer which can be set for dual temperatures and also has a base temperature which turns on the heating.

Hoping that someone can give me a pointer to the thread or a contributors name.

Many thanks

Joyce

I run a Honeywell programmer for controlling the times on/off for heating and hot water.

This is used in conjunction with a programmable thermostat which once set is used to vary the temperature at different times of the day (up to four variations) This can be overridden.

The heating programmer is set to on for constant central heating.

Heating control is through the programmable thermostat which gives variation in temperature at different times of the day.

eg 7.00am 18 degrees, 9.00am 17 degrees, 5.00pm 20 degrees, 11.00pm 14 degrees.

Hot water is timed to come on twice a day.

Good programmers are ten a penny these days. My house is split into four different zones as we don't use part of it much and we have four different programmers mounted on the wall.

The difference is that mine are remote controlled and have no wires connecting them to the boiler. They operate using a radio wave of some kind and using them could save a fortune in wiring costs if you're installing a new system.

I can set several different temperatures for various times of the day and I also have a frost-stat, which ensures that the central heating comes on if the temperature drops below 5 degrees centigrade.

I think that's your ideal solution, a system that can be turned off when you're away but with a frost-stat that operates to ensure that your home never gets too cold.

JohnP - 2010-03-01 12:08 PM

Heating control is through the programmable thermostat which gives variation in temperature at different times of the day.

eg 7.00am 18 degrees, 9.00am 17 degrees, 5.00pm 20 degrees, 11.00pm 14 degrees.

Had one of those came back after a few days away last Christmas (2008) to a freezing house, batteries in the programmable thermostat had gone flat. It went straight in the bin, gone back to the old fashion type without batteries.

I fully agree with JohnP's method, as we do exactly the same. Leave the programmer/timer in the always on mode and control the heating by means of a programmable thermostat. With the stat in our house, we can set up to 4 different periods per day all at different temps. The thermostat was virtually a direct replacement for the old one, and took me about 10 mins to fit. Any decent plumber will be able to do it easily (I am not a plumber!). The Stat cost us about £30 if I remember correctly.

As for having multiple stats round the house, I think you would need to re-plumb all of your heating to include zone valves to isolate the sections not being heated. All very well in a new system, but very expensive to retro-fit to an existing system.

Hope this helps.

In case it is not quite clear, the programmer is the bit that controls when either, or both, of water heating and central heating, operate.  It does not control temperature, only timed on and off events.  It is thermostats that control temperatures, of hot water, or spaces.  There are, however, programmable thermostats, that can be set to change the temperature of spaces during the day.  For example, frost protection only at night, warmer mornings and evenings, cooler during the day.  Some of these can substitute for the boiler programmer, and take control of both on and off periods as well as space heating temperatures.  There has been a explosion of types over recent years, and most are now subject to Building Regulations control if professionally fitted.  You can't expect to mug up on the lot in five minutes, so I'd recommend chatting to the plumber about the options he can a) obtain and b) would recommend.  If you don't quite trust him to give unbiased advice, override the programmer for a while to leave the system under manual control, and talk to some more plumbers, or to a good plumber's merchant, about your options.

Thanks to all who have responded to my plea for help.

PJay

We have used this method in the past, although not with great success.

In October we returned from the South of France to a very cold house. It took 3 days to get back up to temperature. In fact it was warmer outside than in the house. The previous year in October we returned from USA to snow on the ground and a cold house. We do feel the cold being long into retirement.

[The plumber says that below 15C it is slow to get up to temperature again.]

JohnP

Thanks - this is the information I was looking for. At the moment we have a Potterton EP3000 (now defunct) plus a lever controlled thermostat. My husband has also fitted Drayton thermostats to each radiator.

It looks like we need a standard programmer and an electronic control thermostat to adjust the temperature over 24 hrs.

Brian Kirby

The plumber has arrived after his lunch as promised. He has replaced our Potterton EP3000 with an EP3002. We also chatted about the electronic thermostat. We may have this fitted at a later date as the temperature will be lowered at night rather being turned off. We have selected the more complicated model for a gravity system as we don’t know how long we will still be in this house!

We do trust the plumbing firm which was a father & son business, but like us the father is long retired. We have always had prompt attention for sudden emergencies.

Thanks again for your support

Joyce

lennyhb - 2010-03-01 12:42 PM
JohnP - 2010-03-01 12:08 PMHeating control is through the programmable thermostat which gives variation in temperature at different times of the day.eg 7.00am 18 degrees, 9.00am 17 degrees, 5.00pm 20 degrees, 11.00pm 14 degrees.
Had one of those came back after a few days away last Christmas (2008) to a freezing house, batteries in the programmable thermostat had gone flat. It went straight in the bin, gone back to the old fashion type without batteries.

Batteries will go flat if you just leave them until they do! I've had my radio remote thermostats/timers for seven years without a problem. But I change the batteries in them every January.

Just imagine if you want to install a new thermostat/timer in a remote part of your house. Wiring it up could be an expensive job including renewing plaster and wall paper if you want to put it on a wall.

Mine have been absolutely brilliant. When we go away we simply switch them off and the frost-stat kicks in if the temperature drops too low.

The one I had they lasted less than a year caught us out twice.

Our programmer is powered by a single AA battery which lasts 3/4 years but I still change it every year, modern ones are mains powered with a battery back up not seen a programmable thermostat like that.

Thanks Trooper

I did say that I chatted to the plumber. Thus I discovered he only knew about what he had in his usual kit.

If I plan to do something I research it thoroughly first - isn't the Internet wonderful. This means that I understand what I am talking about and quickly pick up when I someone tries to hoodwink me (although the plumber did not try).

To cap it all we now have a faulty gas valve in the boiler, discovered when the neighbour complained and called out the gas board. Unfortunately I have very little sense of smell. That's why I use a timer all the time in the kitchen.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Joyce

Not sure what you can fit to your Potterton, but our Worchester Bosch has a frost stat that overides any other setting, i,e, when the temp drops below a fixed setting(can't recall what it is just now) at whatever time of day or night it fires up.

Firstly I am retired heating engineer an have had access to most of the all singing and dancing controllers. The impotant thing is not to allow the structure temp to fall too low or your reheating time will increase. All the latest condensing boilers include frost stats so as long as you have a pemanent live connection that takes care of itself. ( the flue is open to outside temp. so needs to avoid freezing). My way when leaving for a trip is to leave the programmer on 24hr. and set the room thermostat to 15C. and always turn off the main stopcock I've been to too many homes where this was not done and it's not a pretty site. Hope this helps John B-)

Guest peter
We have a worcester Bosch combi boiler and a Danfoss wireless battery operated progrmmable thermostat and it's great. No other programmer required.

Archived