The amazing "Double Skillet"

Geoff Tuckley

duffers - 2010-03-04 9:29 PM

baguettes - what else

and croissants

and pain au chocolat

of course they are also the best thing before / after / during

sliced bread - no question

And to assure equality and a safe life "The Wife " !

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Bumpety bump (!)

What goes around, comes around:D

Tomo3090 - 2010-03-01 8:24 PM

We also have a 12 Volt slow cooker from RoadPro that has been really useful. We just fill it before going out for the day and the meals ready when we get home.

As is seen in the thread I am a fan of the double skillet, but my reason for this bump is to find out if anyone else has had a problem with a RoadPro 12 v cooker :-( I inversted in one before our autumn trip to France/Spain and it worked like a dream. But then it failed. Somhow liquid got in to the inner workings and damaged the wires! The guarantee was only 3 months but I got it back in time. I got my money back - it was not replaced as the company I bought it from had stopped selling them - coincidence, or what :-|

Better still does anyone know of a better more reliable make and where I could get it from (I have already searched the internet and it only seems to be Road Pro that comes up) - or were we just unlucky?

I realise this may not generate an answer - but if not I will start a new thread ....................

Mel B - 2011-02-17 5:42 PM

I suspect the easiest, and probably cheapest answer, would be to buy a low powered cooker (I assume you're talking slow cooker here?) and use it via an inverter. I know someone on here does this but for the moment I can't think of who!

Good idea, Mel B, thanks. Yes, I do mean a slow cooker

Now I need some of the technical guys to tell me if I can run one on a 150w inverter (that is what we have). I doubt if it will work with the engine off, though. The inverter makes a racket even when I run a mini printer (Poleroid POGO) on it. Look forward to comments (as you see I have little technical knowledge!)

I suspect the easiest, and probably cheapest answer, would be to buy a low powered cooker (I assume you're talking slow cooker here?) and use it via an inverter. I know someone on here does this but for the moment I can't think of who!

You can get 12vl Slow Cookers

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_detail.aspx?prod=12V+Slow+Cooker&id=90

Plug in and put in your sink and use on the move meal ready when you stop driving.

johnnerontheroad - 2011-02-17 7:33 PM

You can get 12vl Slow Cookers

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_detail.aspx?prod=12V+Slow+Cooker&id=90

Plug in and put in your sink and use on the move meal ready when you stop driving.

This is the one I had a problem with - hence the questions!

Brian

What I was really wondering was what my 150w inverter could cope with - so that I know what to look for when I (if I) go out to buy a conventional slow cooker! I know that there is loss of power when using an inverter so, for example would it cope with the £20.00 one Mel is suggesting?

Instead of a "slow cooker", have you tried a Pressure cooker? i find they are good, have used one for over 50 years, I have replaced my origanal one (Wedding Present) for a smaller one. I used it on our boat, very handy when you only have two rings to cook on. You can cook lots in them.

Meat is very tender in pressure cooker, if you have never tried one

I know this is probably "Old Fashion" with to-days cooks , but use mine a lot

PJay

We used a skillet for years when camping - think we may still have it tucked away somewhere with the camping gear and will search for it. It was excellent when camping - no oven, as in caravan and campervan. Think we almost wore it out! Broke the glass lid certainly.

Now we use a Remoska a great deal. Any other fans / users out there?

Guest pelmetman

We bought a skillet for our last trip and found it useful and it meant we didn't need so many saucepans on board.

However, really disappointed with the roast dinner, no comparison to it being cooked in the oven.

Sue

PJay - 2011-02-17 8:42 PM

Instead of a "slow cooker", have you tried a Pressure cooker? i find they are good, have used one for over 50 years, I have replaced my origanal one (Wedding Present) for a smaller one. I used it on our boat, very handy when you only have two rings to cook on. You can cook lots in them.

Meat is very tender in pressure cooker, if you have never tried one

I know this is probably "Old Fashion" with to-days cooks , but use mine a lot

PJay

Thanks for the idea, PJay, but I see 3 main problems with pressure cooker:

needs gas - 12v slow cooker uses "free" energy

creates steam - adding to the condensation problem

3 does not create a meal while you drive

pelmetman - 2011-02-17 9:35 PM

We bought a skillet for our last trip and found it useful and it meant we didn't need so many saucepans on board.

However, really disappointed with the roast dinner, no comparison to it being cooked in the oven.

Sue

You weren't doing it right then!! It doesn't go as crispy as a chicken would for example in the oven but by heck it is soooooooo tasty and the spuds are to die for!

You did use both pans put together didn't you, and not the glass lid?

Guest pelmetman

Hi Mel

Yes we clipped the two pans together and the meat was not bad but the potatoes were - well not very nice.

At home we always boil our potatoes for 10 minutes then bash them round the pan before putting into roast and they are always delicious, (always use Maris Piper Potatoes).

Have to admit whilst we were away the second roast dinner we reverted back to the traditional cooker.

How do you do yours Mel?

Sue

I've done several chickens with roast tatties now - we got addicted to them when in France last time and had at least one a week! :D

You have to get the pans nice and hot first before putting the meat in. I found that as the chicken cooked, leaving the juices that came out of it in the pan stopped it and the spuds from crisping up, so periodically I took the top pan off (keep it upside down to keep the heat in it ;-) ), tipped the bottom pan to get the juice out of the chicken cavity, then poured off the liquid in to a jug to use to make gravy, then put the lid back on (use the glass lid when pouring off the juices to keep the chicken and spuds 'captive' in the pan though!). If necessary, I just put a bit of oil back in the pan so the spuds could crisp up. Admittedly they never were as crispy as you'd get in an oven at home, but they were certainly well on their way and were wonderful with all the flavour from the chicken ... sweet and tasty. :-D

We did find that the better the quality of the chicken, the better the roast was as there was less water coming out of it.

If you want to parboil your spuds you can and then pop them into the pan with the meat.

Guest Tracker

150 watts is about .65 amps at 230 volts and I doubt it would power any slow cooker - in fact it would just about manage 2 x 60 watt light bulbs!

Not only that but 150 watts at 12v input will consume upwards of 13 amps from your leisure batteries and by it's very nature a slow cooker needs to be on for a long period.

An average 90 amp hour leisure battery would - in perfect conditions and from absolutely fully charged - at 13 amp hour rate flatten itself maybe even beyond redemption in about 3 - 4 hours

Sorry but it's a non starter even with a much larger inverter as all it will do is flatten the battery even quicker.

Thanks Tracker, but just to confirm ............................ (it's after 10pm on a saturday night) ............... The slow cooker would be on whilst travelling, so the inverter would be plugged into a leisure battery that would be being topped up from the engine ......... would this make enough difference?

I have still not purchased either a remoska, halogen or skillet for cooking.... my Hubby keeps saying to me when we are away you should be off duty and if we get one of these bits of kit I am likely to spend time cooking... we'll see how long his theory lasts when we get to the end of the trip and work out how much it has cost us to eat out. Having said that there are several meals we do make just on the gas stove and bar-b-que.

Archived