Headlamp condensation FIAT X250

Keith T

This subject may have been covered to some extent previously,althugh I have not yet found anything about this.

I have quite a bit of condensation inside one of the headlamps on our 2007 FIAT X250 based motorhome.

Having chatted to the FIAT dealer today, it seems the only cure is to replace the whole unit, which works out at something around £250.

I had expected having driven around over the last few days quite a bit with the headlampson, this would have warmed the interior enough to dry the condensation, and it may well be this will dry upwhen the warm weather comes!!!

IS this a common problem, and if so, what remedy have any of you owners gone for. If to replace the unit.is the cost quoted about right= this does include labour and VAT.

I cannot understnad why condenation should occur, though have to assume it means a seal has perished around the glass/plastic? IS this a 'known' problem, and could it affect the MOT due later this year?

Shall be interesetd to hear any experiences of this.

Keith T - 2010-03-01 8:40 PM

This subject may have been covered to some extent previously,althugh I have not yet found anything about this.

I have quite a bit of condensation inside one of the headlamps on our 2007 FIAT X250 based motorhome.

Having chatted to the FIAT dealer today, it seems the only cure is to replace the whole unit, which works out at something around £250.

I had expected having driven around over the last few days quite a bit with the headlampson, this would have warmed the interior enough to dry the condensation, and it may well be this will dry upwhen the warm weather comes!!!

IS this a common problem, and if so, what remedy have any of you owners gone for. If to replace the unit.is the cost quoted about right= this does include labour and VAT.

I cannot understnad why condenation should occur, though have to assume it means a seal has perished around the glass/plastic? IS this a 'known' problem, and could it affect the MOT due later this year?

Shall be interesetd to hear any experiences of this.

I have had condensation in one of my car headlights for many years and it had never been flagged as a problem at MoT's .

Guest peter
I had this in my wife's Ford KA when I changed a bulb and didn't get the bulb holder mounted properly on refittment. I took it apart again and made sure it sealed properly, after drying the inside out with a hot air gun. Worth trying before forking out.

Keith T - 2010-03-01 8:40 PM

IS this a common problem...

I don't know how common this fault is, but it's certainly known about.

The problem has been mentioned in the forum's 'Fiat juddering' threads. I remember saying I'd seen an X250-based motorhome in France with both its headlamps glittering in the morning sunlight due to water droplets all over the inside face of the headlamp covers. (I also recall this observation not going down well with the forum's Fiatophiles!)

As far as I'm aware the only certain 'cure' involves replacement of the affected headlamp unit.

It suggests a seal has gone. Misting within headlamp unts is quite common, but disappears with heat from the light bulb. I had condensation on my Renault (car not MH base) when new. An attempt to dry out the inside of the unit quickly failed with the next rainy day. The selling dealer replaced the unit after being reminded of his obligations under consumer protection law.

Richard Thomas.

X250 has a water ingress problem with water enters the engine compartment and finds its way to the head lamps.Making the compartment water tight is the best long term answer I have carried out a number of minor mods on mine and NO water now enters the engine compartment fitting covers to various bits is not the answer engines and water do not mix.

Hello Gang,

This is a well known problem and we have had several light units changed under warranty. If it is left too long, not only does it not dry out but it causes significant discolouring of the lens which could well fail an MOT.

It is worth saying that none of the lamps replaced have had any further problems so I think the units have been improved since the first year or so of manufacture. We have had no problems with '08 vehicles onwards.

If you still have warranty, take your van to the dealer and get it fixed without delay because the light units are about £160 plus VAT and it is not the simplest job to do yourself due to the potential to damage painted parts that have to be prised away.

Nick

• 2 years later...

When headlights were sealed beam and made of glass. They worked well until the glass cracked.

Most lighting units are polycarbonate now and , even if they were sealed, are permeable to water.

Modern headlights are supposed to be vented to dispel water vapour; wether it's entered through the body of the fitting or via the hole that's designed to let it out. The vent works by expelling water laiden air during lamp warm up. However, If there is moist air near the opening when the lights are switched off, it will be drawn back into the headlight the same way it came out.

Obviously, the location of any ventilation hole is critical. If, as it would seem ,with some Fiat based motorhomes, standing water is a feature beneath the bonnet.

It would be quite difficult to relocate a vent , maybe a tube could be routed to a drier location, but eliminating water catchments should be much simpler.

Keith, I own a 2009 model which was bothered by both the water ingress in the engine bay and condensation in the nearside headlamp unit. The water ingress was right on top of the headlamp. Persevered with the dealer to get the water ingress sorted and this involved new drain holes/pipes being fitted. This cured the water ingress and the headlamp condensation.

Archived