Fitting Microwaves to Motorhome

Pister

I have an Autocruise Starspirit 2008. I have no microwave fitted but would like to have one. Unfortunately the cupboards inside are not deep enough to accept what appears to be the standard size of microwave i.e. 18.5 ins long/14 ins deep/11+ ins high.

Am I right in thinking:

a) smaller microwaves are not made

b) it would be dangerous to plug in or fit, if found, a smaller one inside one of the cupboards.

Ta for any advice/suggestions...

Pister - 2010-03-01 9:35 PM

I have an Autocruise Starspirit 2008. I have no microwave fitted but would like to have one. Unfortunately the cupboards inside are not deep enough to accept what appears to be the standard size of microwave i.e. 18.5 ins long/14 ins deep/11+ ins high.

Am I right in thinking:

a) smaller microwaves are not made

b) it would be dangerous to plug in or fit, if found, a smaller one inside one of the cupboards.

Ta for any advice/suggestions...

18.5 ins long/14 ins deep/11+ ins high equates to 470mm/355mm/280mm and there are microwave ovens in the Argos catalogue with dimensions less than those figures (eg. 433/328/258). I doubt if you'll find anything much smaller as there'd be no general 'domestic' demand for it.

I've looked at a few ovens aimed at the caravan market, but they all seem to be just as physically large even though their electrical power requirement may be lower than is usual for a domestic appliance.

If you could find an ultra-compact oven, I don't see why it should be dangerous to fit it into a cupboard as long as the installation conforms to the oven manufacturer's instructions regarding minimum clearances around the oven, ventilation requirements, etc.

If you are asking whether you could safely jam a microwave oven into a tight enclosure when the oven's manufacturer states that there should be, say, a minimum of 25mm clearance around the appliance's sides, top and rear, then the answer's plainly No.

I have a small microwave oven in the Renault pvc. it has suitable clearances and has never been a problem.*but* our microwave oven at home has a combined grille and when that is in use it gets **very hot**so don't even think of fitting one of those!

Harvey

Archived