Netbooks - ideal for motorhomes

Mel B

I'm also in the Samsung NC10 camp.

Two of the reasons I chose this model were that it was reckoned to have good WIFI performance, and that it had a non-reflective screen.

The WIFI is excellent, and I'm delighted with the screen. Motorhomes are (we hope) bright and sunny places, and a highly reflective screen is the last thing you want when sitting surfing in the sun!

The only accessories I use whilst away are a wireless mouse and a Vodafone PAYG dongle. Only failed to be connected somehow at two very remote sites up to now. :-D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Basil - 2010-03-07 8:27 PM

3 Network allows the use of Skype, positively promotes it.

Bas

I know they have free Skype to Skype calls on their phones Bas (presumably audio only) but is it actually true of their dongles used with netbooks/laptops? Their web site Here implies just the former.

Graham

I started using an ASUS 1000HE last summer.

Light enough to throw into a backpack & haul thru a Euro city for a day.

Tons of battery life. used wifi only - always able to find it.

Drawback: screen resolution not supported by some camera software (eg. Canon Zoombrowser) Used Nikon instead.

Re. backups,DVD drive, etc.:

I burn ISOs of my DVDs where permitted & have magic ISO installed - gives a virtual DVD drive that will mount the iso image.

Also carry a 500GB backup external hard drive - to save my photos as I tarvel, but it also contains an Acronis image of the netbook in case I have to restore.

Last trip I netbook-skyped my wife in Toronto every morn - even bought her a pair of shoes in Brussels by using video skype in the store to ascertain her approval!

I started using an ASUS 1000HE last summer.

Light enough to throw into a backpack & haul thru a Euro city for a day.

Tons of battery life. used wifi only - always able to find it.

Drawback: screen resolution not supported by some camera software (eg. Canon Zoombrowser) Used Nikon instead.

Re. backups,DVD drive, etc.:

I make ISOs of my DVDs where permitted & have magic ISO installed - gives a virtual DVD drive that will mount the iso image.

Also carry a 500GB backup external hard drive - to double-backup my photos as I travel, but it also contains an Acronis image of the netbook in case I have to restore. I carry the Acronis bootup recovery program on a USB stick instead of a CD - works like a charm!

Last trip I netbook-skyped my wife in Toronto every morn - even bought her a pair of shoes in Brussels by using video skype in the store to ascertain her approval!

JeffersonCampervan - 2010-03-07 11:35 PM

Now I would really have liked to have seen that - you modelling shoes for her!!! (lol)

Mel B - 2010-03-08 3:49 PM

JeffersonCampervan - 2010-03-07 11:35 PM

Now I would really have liked to have seen that - you modelling shoes for her!!! (lol)

:D well, I didn't actually MODEL them !

I've just purchased an Asus Netbook and I'm having trouble connecting to the wireless (netgear) router at home. The netbook finds the wireless signal but it will not connect. I have tried resetting the WEP keycode but that hasn't helped. The netbook is running on windows XP. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? and if so, do you know how to fix it.

Thanks

Derek

If getting a netbook ask for the RAM to be upgraded to 2GB and use a 16 GB Secure Digital (SDfor Windows ReadyBoost purposes boosting it to max RAM. Also consider a retail copy of Windows Anytime Upgrade (Starter to Home Premium). Windows 7 Starter is very poor.

Basil - 2010-03-09 11:06 AM

Anyone looking for a Netbook, this is not a bad value one, see

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173481

Bas

That's virtually identical to the HP I've got, mine has a pattern on the top, and a 250gb hard drive and HP logos, otherwise it's the same. The keyboard has a nice touch too and the keys aren't too small so even a touch typist like me can type on it.

duetto owner - 2010-03-09 4:15 PM

If getting a netbook ask for the RAM to be upgraded to 2GB and use a 16 GB Secure Digital (SDfor Windows ReadyBoost purposes boosting it to max RAM. Also consider a retail copy of Windows Anytime Upgrade (Starter to Home Premium). Windows 7 Starter is very poor.

Why is Windows 7 Starter poor? And what does Windows Anytime Upgrade give you?

Also, what is SD for Windows Ready Boost and why do you need a 16gb SD card?????

Many thanks for the prompt replies.

After switching the PC off and then on again 5 minutes later the netbook connected to the wireless network. After about 15 minutes it then disconnected. Possibly a problem with the router. I will try connecting to a friends network tomorrow and see if that is stable. That should allow me to determine if the fault is with the router or the PC.

Thanks

Derek

mel ready boost will help increase the memory of a computer with limited RAM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

windows starter edition [stripped down version of windows 7]

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/352627/microsoft-windows-7-starter-edition

windows7 anytime upgrade

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-anytime-upgrade

mel ready boost will help increase the memory of a computer with limited RAM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

windows starter edition [stripped down version of windows 7]

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/352627/microsoft-windows-7-starter-edition

windows7 anytime upgrade

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-anytime-upgrade

I received my Netbook Mon; morning and I'm very pleased up to now, I had expected a Samsung N110 but I received a N130!! it is supposed to be refurbished it says so ! but its brand new as far as I can see. It has a 1gb mem; but for what we will be using it for that is quite sufficient, and it comes with a 12month Warranty, and has the same specs as 110 except bluetooth, but as Ive never used mine on my Acer Aspire I don't think that matters and for £179 I think I have a bargain.

duetto owner - 2010-03-11 8:46 AM

give the battery a good run refurbished laptops/netbooks often have poor batteries which can cost up to £100 to replace.

make sure the battery lasts as advertised while guarenteed.

Will do thanks :-S up to now it is as advertised, I don't think it has ever been used though! it was from Argos clearance, non of the keys have any wear! in fact I know it has never been used, it is brand new so I wonder if it is just stock clearance.

Maggy - the likelihood is that someone has bought it, didn't like it, and took it back. Once that has happened it becomes 'used' and therefore cannot be sold as new, this is what we have I believe - all the paperwork etc and the plastic protective covering was still on our netbook when we got it, no marks, scratches, nothing on it at all.

My only observation on your netbook though is - why would you accept an inferior one? The one you have does NOT have bluetooth whereas the one you bought does ... I wouldn't accept one without - you may not use it now, but you could easily wish to do so in the near future (transferring images from your phone for instance, or to back-up your sim etc). It will also reduce the price you'll get if you choose to sell it on at a later date. :-S

For anyone who has a netbook (or laptop) without Bluetooth, Bazza454 posted a link to Maplins for a small dongle. Belkin produce a similar one which is available at Tesco for £12.97. I bought one last year and it works very well.

Graham

Mel I have bluetooth on my phone and this Acer laptop and I have never used it and I dont think I ever will, I checked up and this one N130 is more expensive than the 110, and as O.H. ordered it I think he might have made a mistake, Im quite happy it was a bargain for what we paid for it.

Archived