Netbooks - ideal for motorhomes

Mel B

I am finding this a very interesting thread - but at times it's becoming too technical for me! So - please don't all shout at once - but as I can't get "search" to work (surprise!)- does anyone have an opinion on the merits or otherwise of the Datawind Ubisurfer netbook at approx £160? I seem to recall adverse comments on this (or was it another?) forum. The blurb on it seems too good to be true - 30 hours free surfing in UK, per month for one year (thereafter an annual fee - £30 I think), 5p per minute abroad and then of course the wifi capability. Any thoughts appreciated. The idea would be to take it abroad and use my laptop at home. Thanks :-)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hazy Baby - 2010-03-12 10:16 AM

I am finding this a very interesting thread - but at times it's becoming too technical for me! So - please don't all shout at once - but as I can't get "search" to work (surprise!)- does anyone have an opinion on the merits or otherwise of the Datawind Ubisurfer netbook at approx £160? I seem to recall adverse comments on this (or was it another?) forum. The blurb on it seems too good to be true - 30 hours free surfing in UK, per month for one year (thereafter an annual fee - £30 I think), 5p per minute abroad and then of course the wifi capability. Any thoughts appreciated. The idea would be to take it abroad and use my laptop at home. Thanks :-)

I think it is the same as the 'Pocketsurfer' best advice is keep well away.

They use normal GPRS phone network and every time you call up a web page it is first routed to their server in Canada then the data is compressed and sent over the mobile phone network. Not all sites will work using their compression & some are barred by their network.

Also if they go bust you have an expensive door stop.

Thanks, Lenny. The Datawind website states "an embedded SIM and GPRS modem" so does this mean that GPRS is not always used to access the network? Being routed via Canada I suspect slows things down and therefore adds to the expense especially aboard at 5p per minute. And sites being barred sounds a no, no. Sorry to sound so thick but as you say whichever netbook I choose to buy I don't want to end up with a doorstop or throw it in a cupboard and end up taking my laptop abroad. What should I look for in a netbook/mobile internet?

Embarrassed by my lack of knowledge.................. :$

I like others have been very pleased with the NC10 I still think the Samsung's are the best of the bunch. I believe the latest version is an N150 spec doesn't look much different to an NC10.

Most netbooks use the same Atom processor some have solid state memory instead of a hard drive this limits the storage but gives faster boot and less mechanical bits to go wrong, a lot of these run Linux OS which can limit your program choice.

my choice would be the MSI 160

http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=135&prod_no=1986

Taken from their web

"Rev up your day with 15 hours* of super-long battery life

No need to bring along heavy power supply units and look all over for outlets, the Wind U160 offers 15 hours* of battery life to give you full power all day long.

* The Actual battery life varies according to operating conditions and settings."

They also have excellent web for updating with new drivers etc

The MSI looks very nice but £329 for a netbook!

One thing to think about with netbooks, to get the extended battery life (9 hours on this one), it usually means a more bulky battery pack so it sticks out of the base - useful to give a 'stand' to raise the rear of the machine so the keyboard is at a better angle, and allow cool air underneath, but it means they aren't as slim as they are without the larger battery pack. To get the 15 hour life as suggested, it is depending on the settings etc - you can probably do this with quite a lot of netbooks too.

It does look very pretty though! :D

Whilst the MSI and Samsung are good, don't dismiss the Acer One series as far as value goes, ours does everything the MSI does with the addition of built in card readers and plug in extra storage and can be bought for less than £150 so you could buy two MSI's for the same money.

As always you pay your money and take your choice.

Bas

Archived