Sub 22' motorhomes - RIP?

Brock

Over the last 15+ years of motorhoming, I've always felt that somewhere between 20' and 22' was a sensible length for a family of four and suitable for regular motoring. When I bought my current motorhome 5 years ago, I had a new drive built to house it's 21' comfortably and up to 23' at a pinch.

At the NEC, the first show I'd visited in 5 years, I was staggered to find there were hardly any sub 22' vans that provided 4 travelling seats and at least one bench seat for lounging. I ended up looking at the panel van conversions with little enthusiasm.

When did 24' replace 20' as the 'norm'?

I think that 'Size creep' is happening to cars also, the Corsa once a small mini sized car, is now considered 'medium' and the Astra a 'large medium' ?

All seems a bit Potty to me.

The new Fiat/Sevel cab is larger than the older version, but what has happened to the 'Handy' sized Autocruise coachbuilts ? with that great spacesaver a rear entrance door ? they were terrific vehicles and only 18' long. Swift must have decided that it did'nt want competition with 'Swift compact coachbuilts' shame i think a rear entrance door solves a lot of problems ( no bike-rack being the only negative i can think of !).

Not everyone wants a panel-van. Ray

Brock - they do exist but I don't think there were an awful lot of them on display at the NEC, you need to study what is available in each manufacturer's range to see what's on offer.

For example, there are a few in the Eura Mobil range there's the 580LS (overcab), double dinette and side settee which is 5.99 long, or the 600VB again which is 5.99 long and has bunks (can't remember the layout sorry!).

Some of the other 'foreign' manufacturers also have 5.99-6.2 metre vans out there, you just have to do the 'leg work' (or mouse 'click work' if on the internet) to find them.

mirage - 2010-03-07 8:53 PM

When we were at the show on the Wednesday it was very noticeable that the interest seemed to be looking in PVC`s. Maybe something to do with age groups on particular days but anything large had little viewers.

excuse my ignorance, but just what is a PVC..always thought it was what old style plastice double glazed windor frames were made of.......!! guess though it must be a current in-word which I havent found!

At all the shows I have visited during the past year it is always the panel vans that seemed to me to be generating the most interest. However, quite a few people passed adverse comment because they do seem expensive for what they are in terms of square footage per pound. However, I have one and would not want anything else but they do not suit everybody.

Hi Mike

We were very seriously considering a PVC due to the size and usability generally as a runabout, however, after much deliberation there were some things that we couldn't have done anything about, one of which being the restricted storage in them compared to a coachbuilt, the less-efficient level of insulation - they get warmer in hot weather so would cause a problem for the dogs, and can be cooler in winter which would cause a problem for me!. Then of course there's the cost - some of them are mind-bogglingly expensive!!! Although they really do look super-duper nowadays, with the metallic paint jobs etc, but the realities of using one must outweigh how 'nice' they look.

Weighing it all up, that's how we came to our decision to go for the Chausson Flash 04 instead - same length at 5.99m, but it's a bit wider which makes a heck of a difference to it's usability and suitablity for us.

PVC`s, we have one, are really for GMT+1 campers in my opinion, not enough insulation for winter use, definitely not suitable to leave dogs in during the summer, however they are very easy to ventilate on return on a hot day. Our previous well insulated "A" Class was OK until when it did get hot, then you just could`nt get the heat out. We go abroad a lot its so easy to drive, much easier to keep clean due to the painted surface, hopefully much easier to get replacement body parts, windscreen etc.

Hello...We looked at PVCs on the basis that they were "white vans". The white van man seems to be able to get everywhere and that is what we wanted a motorhome to do..........

We had been looking for a couple of years on and off (as advised) to make sure that we could make a suitable decision and get the "right van"

We eventually got a Bessacarr E 605! It wasn't much larger than a "white van", had all of what we wanted, mostly anyway......

It is < 22ft, but travelling seats for only two. There may be other similar vans that will cater for four travelling seats. (Two lap seatbelts had been fitted for the transverse offside settee but we do not use them)

One point to consider is the payload of a four seater, two extra bodies and their lugage etc could bite into a poor payload figure........

Happy hunting!

Archived