Size of tent and pitch prices?

Guest mark

can anyone tell me if many campsites in the UK and europe charge by the size of your tent or per person. As i am thinking of getting a 6 man tent for 2 people for the space. However, obviously it would sway me if i spend more on my holiday price. Can someone help ?

Hi Mark, Can't comment on rest of Europe but most sites in the UK don't charge by 'size of tent' (although I'm sure some will somewhere as there's always an exception to the rule). My current and previous tents have been large ones e.g ex "Campus Breckenridge Deluxe" and current "Outwell Montana 6" and I've not come across pricing on size of tent........yet!!!, although you'll always be best to ask the question when/before you book. It's not really the pricing but the size of the pitch you need to be concerned with as I've heard of some pitches as being on the small side (not personally come across them) so also ask the size of the pitches which will put your mind at rest. Hope this helps. Pete.

• 3 weeks later...
we too was concerned about having to pay double pitch but i have found with many of the campsite that if your tent is over 22ft then you will probably end up having to pay an excess, but as a rule we bought the extreme 6 man dome and thats measures 19ft. but mainly campsites will charge on what you are putting up i.e tent, kiddies tent, gazebo etc... its best to check first but as i say we found a few places giving a 22ft ruling..

• 1 year later...
we have got a mondial 1200 about 28.2x26.5 ft we have trouble finding a site as it seams that the average pitch is about 19x19 ft. Last year we had to have a double pitch, This year we looked all over and had 13 sites that could not fit us in so we have had to pay extra £30 instead of £22 a night for a tourer pitch.. :-S

First time i,ve heard pitch sizes mentioned, and I always assumed they were more or less the same, with the major clubs if not regulating at least having strong recommendations re. this subject, but a quick look through the Camping and Caravan handbook only mentions sites which have the facilities to accomodate larger than usual units. As mentioned earlier its best to check in advance if you have any doubts, and in the event that you do encroach or need the extra pitch then I suppose its only fair if you are asked to pay extra especially at peak periods. Saying that, how many times have we seen units erected followed by extensions, car/cars and then the counless windbrakes marking out their territory. Bit of a grey area by the look of it and it all depends on the site owners attitude perhaps.

Archived