What fun it is to have nothing!

Lord Raindrop

I’ve no objection to reading about M/H’s full of shoes and various wonderful cooking gadgets, or Safari rooms for that extra space, or even the largest RV’s on the planet.

But, there comes a time when having been through all the above we are now reducing and waiting for the undertaker to make his rounds.

No more spending hours looking for that most desirable addition that we will never use or standing in front of a sales table trying to convince oneself that it must be bought.

We all complain about thieves, perhaps in reality they are providing a service by spreading wealth.

I can assure you that having less really is fun!

Lord Raindrop - 2010-03-06 4:28 PM

I can assure you that having less really is fun!

Less than what Mike? Why not put a figure on it? What are you worth so we can all see if we are in the sublime position of having less(lol)

Roy Fuller

Guest Tracker

A few observations - not criticisms - observations!

The less we spend the more our kids will appreciate it?

It is easy to say less is more when that is by choice and not from neccessity?

When you have enough to live comfortably and afford a motorhome as well that hardly counts as less regardless of how much you put, or don't put, in it?

But I do understand the philosopy of wanting to get away from ever more expensive and complicated things - specialy when they don't always work as they should!

Only this week we sold the Hummer and bought a nice cheap to run more environmentally friendly V8 petrol engined Range Rover!

How much am I worth was asked? I have no objection to naming a figure, but talking money spoils everything, I was referring to ‘things and objects’ as opposed to cash.

Aged 81 I’ve just stopped work this week, not retired just stopped for a rest. In recent years I’ve been building Antique bicycles to order and the last one went today. Previously I owned 130 of them, now all have gone. The next project already in line will take me two years to complete. At my own pace!

Yes we have the M/H, it contains no extras apart from an awning and what is needed to survive. There are no additional security devices and if it gets nicked so what, I have insurance cover. If it is taken then I will look for another interest, simple. How it ticks and what it costs I have little interest, its legal.

We eat simply and modern clothes last for ever. I have one set of most things and when they wear out I buy more, no storage needed.

I read of those who ‘must have’ it may dismay many and has previously caused rude comments from some but I’m not a ‘must have’ person, I was to be sure, but I’m now free of all life’s ‘necessities’ and it’s great.

When my father died I was amazed at what little he had; now I’m of the same opinion. I hope that’s a suitable reply.

Tracker - 2010-03-06 5:17 PM .............. It is easy to say less is more when that is by choice and not from necessity? ............

Sorry to be the resident pedant, but that expression was never about having less, or more, possessions than the next person.  It was an aesthetic judgement, that freedom from extraneous decoration and ornamentation (the less bit) resulted in objects with greater clarity and visual impact (the more bit).  The usual result is (considerably!) increased cost!  :-)

Lord Raindrop - 2010-03-06 5:40 PM

How much am I worth was asked?...

I'm more curious about how many aliases you've had since 2005.

I've counted 4 so far (including the "Lord Raindrop" one) but, as there are some lengthy time-gaps in the sequence, I expect there are more.

Just out of interest, what makes you change your forum user-name. I can see that your original account now looks odd, so perhaps it's a password thing?

Don't tell them Derek its all the more interesting to be unknown. I've just been around an awfully long time and am now enjoying the latter part of my life.

I always wanted to be old, its wonderful, the old peopl get the best of life and have more time. BUT you do have to ignore ALL govenment proporgander.

The object of authority is to extract money from you in order to feed and employ others, how you decide to spend what you have is optional.

Sorry this is moving away from M/H's

How lucky we all are on this forum where we can laugh about having nothing when in reality we belong in the top percentage of the wealthy in this world of ours.

If we truly had nothing, most would be dead within a short period of time as we are not equipped to hunt for ourselves.

Having spent a number of years in some of the poorest countries on Earth, I appreciate the life I have got every day.

I know Lord Raindrip meant this to be tongue in cheek but it is sounding rather smug. Good luck to the people who have worked hard and made a decent life for themselves but is it right to start crowing about it. I believe that my wealth (or lack of) is my own business and not something I would talk about.

I get as much satisfaction by knowing a could buy a luxury item if I wanted to. The fact that I do not is down to my needs.

I have gone overseas for 6 months with a suitcase containing all I needed. I have to admit though, nowadays, my m/home is just as cluttered as the next one.

Carry on with your thread about having nothing. If you truly needed nothing then you could give it all away to a good cause. :D

I'm never smug and I never give to Charities. Charities may be for the less well off but I can assure you they line the pockets of those already wealthy as well.

If you actually knew the percentage that goes to the PEOPLE you would never give again. Recently the aid to Africa poor went to buy arms.

Celebreties assist Charities but the actual money put that way offsets their Income Tax. I know I did it. Celebreties may appear grand to be attached to a charity to encourage us individuals to give when all it does is aid those already wealthy. Just like the TV phone in 'games'

Unfortunately it was for real not tongue in cheek, it just puzzles me why people need more than one pair of shoes

In the words of a well known show member "I'm out"

"it just puzzles me why people need more than one pair of shoes "

Well ignoring the rest of this thread I can at least give an answer to this one: I own several pairs of shoes/boots:

I have one nearly decent pair for going out, you might call them my "Best shoes"

I have one pair of walking boots, these are for exactly that, walking in all conditions, they are waterproof, warm and comfortable and I can, and have, walked many miles in them in total foot comfort.

I have one pair of work boots, steel toecapped because of the type of work I do, okay for a couple of days but after day three the toecaps become unbearably uncomfortable so I wear my walking boots for work three days out of seven, at least.

I also own a pair of training shoes or trainers to use the colloquial terminology, I wear these for general knocking about in warm dry weather.

So that's four pairs of shoes, each with their own clear reasons for being and none of them owned simply to "demonstrate my wealth", as if? :D

D.

So are you saying that you have never done anything for anyone in need?

That is being plain selfish and greedy.

You belong in a belfry, as you are certainly batty. :D

I am out as well, I am choosy who I talk to.

Lord Raindrop - 2010-03-06 7:54 PMI'm never smug and I never give to Charities. Charities may be for the less well off but I can assure you they line the pockets of those already wealthy as well.If you actually knew the percentage that goes to the PEOPLE you would never give again. Recently the aid to Africa poor went to buy arms.Celebreties assist Charities but the actual money put that way offsets their Income Tax. I know I did it. Celebreties may appear grand to be attached to a charity to encourage us individuals to give when all it does is aid those already wealthy. Just like the TV phone in 'games'Unfortunately it was for real not tongue in cheek, it just puzzles me why people need more than one pair of shoesIn the words of a well known show member "I'm out"

What a selfish, bitter and ignorant person you are. Unlike you I give to charity; to Oxfam, to Christian Aid, to the NSPCC and to my local children's hospice. I do it in the knowledge that most of my money, less essential running costs, is going to those who need it.

And as for celebrities saving income tax, this is really where you show your ignorance. If you give to charity the charity can reclaim standard rate income tax that you've already paid, but this goes to the charity, not to you!

It's true that, if you're a higher-rate tax payer, you can also reclaim the difference between standard- and higher-rate tax for yourself but do you seriously think that someone will give £1.00 to charity just so that they can get 20p back!

Unlike you, there are people who do care about others and are truly generous and altruistic and it's a pity that life has made you so bitter, cynical and selfish. Life's been good to me and I am happy to pass on some of my good fortune to those less fortunate.

This forum seems to have attracted some horrible people lately, with bigoted, selfish and self-centred views but yours are the worst. Shame on you!

Lord Raindrop has PM'd me and explained that the time-gaps in his participation on this forum (and the changes in user-name) have usually resulted from him unintentionally saying something that caused people to take offence. When this happened he chose to 'take time off' from the forum and then begin again later under a different name.

It will be a shame (and a real loss to the forum) if Lord Raindrop does decide to cease participating, as his contributions during the last 5 years have always been interesting and entertaining. Even when his postings have been off-beat and controversial, I just don't understand why anyone might have found them genuinely offensive.

It's sad that, when someone is not afraid to speak their mind, it provokes such savage outbursts of shallow-minded intolerance.

Derek Uzzell - 2010-03-07 8:15 AMLord Raindrop has PM'd me and explained that the time-gaps in his participation on this forum (and the changes in user-name) have usually resulted from him unintentionally saying something that caused people to take offence. When this happened he chose to 'take time off' from the forum and then begin again later under a different name.It will be a shame (and a real loss to the forum) if Lord Raindrop does decide to cease participating, as his contributions during the last 5 years have always been interesting and entertaining. Even when his postings have been off-beat and controversial, I just don't understand why anyone might have found them genuinely offensive. It's sad that, when someone is not afraid to speak their mind, it provokes such savage outbursts of shallow-minded intolerance.

I admit to being intolerant of people like Lord Raindrop who totally refuse to give to charity because of some absurd view on where the money goes. How can he, at a stroke, condemn organisations such as Oxfam, Christian Aid and the hospice movement?

It's odd that when someone says something with which you may agree, that they are 'speaking their mind' but if others 'speak their mind', as I did above, it's a 'savage outburst of shallow-minded intolerance".

Perhaps you could define the difference between speaking one's mind and being intolerant?

Lord Raindrop - 2010-03-06 5:40 PM

In recent years I’ve been building Antique bicycles to order and the last one went today. Previously I owned 130 of them, now all have gone. The next project already in line will take me two years to complete. At my own pace!

Are they 'antiques' when you finish them because it takes you a long time to build them? ..... I ask....... ;-)

Harvey

I've just had an exchange of PMs with Lord Raindrop. In the first he told me that I know nothing about charities and that as I  get older I'll learn. I told him that I am in fact a trustee of a large charity where I'm the vice-chairman of the committee that approves its grants. 

This was his second PM:

Just tell me why you believe someone on the other side of the world with whom you have no contact and never will to give your hard earned money to. 

You must be MAD and certainly totally misguided.

That is Lord Raindrop, who is of course just speaking his mind. So there you have it, if you decide to support Oxfam, Christian Aid or any of the really worthwhile charities, you are mad!

I shall stick to being intolerant of people like him.

747 - 2010-03-06 9:41 PM

You belong in a belfry, as you are certainly batty. :D

I am out as well, I am choosy who I talk to.

Don't think he is in the Belfry any more looking at the post above. Also when you click on Lord Raindrop he no longer has a name either. Curious?*-)

Guest Tracker

Come on fellas stop all the bitching and back stabbing please.

Why can't we each respect the other's point of view - especially when it contrasts sharply with our own?

The choices of whether to support charity or to own anything between one and twenty pairs of shoes is a personal matter and whilst it may be open for discussion it should not be open for attack.

We are supposed to be a civilised and tolerant nation so let's see a bit more civility and tolerance on here for a starter.

Through tolerance the confidence to discuss anything openly by and with anyone else and without vitriole develops and with discussion new ideas and thoughts that we may well not have even considered may emerge and that might just help us all develop both as individuals and as a nation.

I'm sorry if that sounds pompous as it is not meant to be as it is more an expression of frustration at how so many threads so quickly turn away from the topic and towards antagonistic and personal.

Please don't be afraid to use the edit button to mellow down a posting - I do it all the time!

Guest JudgeMental

Tom has exposed the drip for what he is I think*-)

If we all stopped giving what a sad world we would be living in. That SOME charity funds go missing and SOME monies diverted for nefarious use is an unfortunate fact of life, thankfully only used by a minority as an excuse for not giving, those looking for a reason not to give anyway.......

The human capacity for charity is a lesson to all of us, a beacon of hope for the way life could be if society was organised along better lines.....

Guest Tracker
Perhaps we should all become hermits and stop paying all forms of taxation because a small percentage goes missing and is abused?

I do agree with his Lordship. I have cleared 4 dead relatives houses and the amount of junk they have accumulated is beyond belief. Don't leave it all for your relatives to clear. The nightmare was my late fathers it took a year,because my sister was faffing around so m uch,anyway the burgulars helped a lot!

As for charities I don not support the corporate ones that employ directors at 'filmstar' salaries. I DO support a childrens charity in India which my pal started as a volunteer. He does not take anything out for'admin' and I do know at least 99p out of every £ goes to the children.

Less is more

Archived